Phonecontrol no more.. What now??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phonecontrol no more.. What now??

Does this mean that Centrafuse wont come with the ability to controll your phone??

http://zhorvat.dyndns.org/PCForums/S...px?PostID=2773

If so, that sucks.. Centrafuse with Phonecontroll was the perfect sulotion for me.. Please dont make me cry, David...

PhoneControl will be included with Centrafuse. PhoneControl will no longer be a commercial stand alone product.

Quote from phoco.net:

"As of end of May, I'm not selling PhoneControl.NET to end users anymore. Instead, I'll make it available for integrators (such as Fluxmedia) and dealers / resellers only.

Integrators / dealers who want to participate must set up their own first level support for end users. I don't support end users directly anymore (except those who already have bought a license before end of May 2006), rather I'll train and support the integrator / dealer staff.

This step will hopefully give me the time needed to improve and expand the functionality of PhoneControl.NET."

david

Comment

*puh, puste lettet ut* as we say in norway..

That was good news.. I cant wait to get buy the license for Centrafuse when the final version is released..

But david, can you answer me if Qtek 8300 will work with phonecontroll.. If yes, plug and play, or much work to make it work??

Comment

Originally posted by TommyTott
        *puh, puste lettet ut* as we say in norway..

That was good news.. I cant wait to get buy the license for Centrafuse when the final version is released..

But david, can you answer me if Qtek 8300 will work with phonecontroll.. If yes, plug and play, or much work to make it work??
        A list of compatible phones can be found at http://www.phoco.net

david

Comment

I know that.. But it isnt in the list.. But 8310 is.. Theye are almost the same.. I just want to be shure..

Comment

I am not sure, I do not have that phone. I have seen it work with a WM5 device though and the fact that the 8310 is on the list means it most likely works.

We will know after you try it

david

Comment

Ok.. With my luck, it wont work..

But I'll try.. and I'll let you know..

Comment

Originally posted by veetid
                This step will hopefully give me the time needed to improve and expand the functionality of PhoneControl.NET."

david

David, does it mean that you will have acces to source code???

Does it mean that you will improve phoco on your own....If yes, it would be great..

I imagine phoco running weel like Centrafuse...
                New prototype : 2DIN AUDI OEM-LIKE CARPC based on SYMPHONY II
                Motorized InDash Screen, Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz, SSD

Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V1
                Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V2 = LM-Lilliput Prototype

First project in Peugeot 306

Comment

Question: has anyone ever gotten PhoCo to work? Looking at their forums it seems that everyone is either stuck at trying to get it to connect, or has all sorts of problems with even the most basic functionality. I must have dicked with it for 12 or 15 hours in total, screwing with various BT adapters, drivers, BT stacks, and phones, including WM2003, a SE, and a Siemens. Nothing would ever work, and the PhoCo guy is, um, not very friendly about helping.

I really wish someone would write a simpler phone app, that just shows who's calling and lets me dial from a list. And that actually works.

Comment

Originally posted by alanw
                    Question: has anyone ever gotten PhoCo to work? Looking at their forums it seems that everyone is either stuck at trying to get it to connect, or has all sorts of problems with even the most basic functionality. I must have dicked with it for 12 or 15 hours in total, screwing with various BT adapters, drivers, BT stacks, and phones, including WM2003, a SE, and a Siemens. Nothing would ever work, and the PhoCo guy is, um, not very friendly about helping.

I really wish someone would write a simpler phone app, that just shows who's calling and lets me dial from a list. And that actually works.

DAVID...???
                    New prototype : 2DIN AUDI OEM-LIKE CARPC based on SYMPHONY II
                    Motorized InDash Screen, Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz, SSD

Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V1
                    Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V2 = LM-Lilliput Prototype

First project in Peugeot 306

Comment

Originally posted by alanw

I've got phoco working with my SE w600i. Everything works perfectly except the headset, which is now just fine and fully funtional with a little workaround in phoco's xml file. It took a reflash of the phone and an (optional) upgrade of my widcomm drivers. I exchanged a couple emails with the phoco guy, Zoran Horvat, and he politley pointed me in the right direction.

And now that I've got my phone working, it's been added to the compatible list!
                      My 2002 F250 Install

Comment

I never had much joy with Phoco. I got it working once from my laptop with my work phone (Nokia 6230) and never got it to work with my personal phone (Nokia 9500). I never got it working at all from my Car PC even though the same bluetooth dongle was used.

Even when it was working though, the app always felt a little flakey and it was easy to make it crash. The integration with CF 1.3 helped a lot though, presumably by protecting me from it's interface and preventing me from pressing the odd button combinations that would make it crash.

Zorro complains that of the nearly 1000 downloads a week he gets less than 1% of people buy it, the implication that the other 99% are cracking it. I would say that it's more likely that 1% buy it, 1% or 2% crack it and the other 97% cannot get the sodding thing to work. It certainly doesn't help that you pretty much require a cracked version of Widcomm to have any hope of getting PhoCo to work, therefore the end user is exposed to the warez scene before they are in a position to buy PhoCo.

Sadly, I think it was inevitable that PhoCo would be cracked, same as it's inevitible that CentraFuse will be cracked. I just hope that David is better prepared for this than Zorro was. Hopefully since FluxMedia's main customers are OEMs, the inevitably piracy will be less of an issue for them.

I agree with the comments about how a stripped down PhoCo-like product built into CF would be massively preferable, however if this route is followed, please continue to support both the MS and Widcomm bluetooth stacks. Many people are going to need to use the MS stack since they can't use Widcomm due to lack of driver updates, but many people are going to have to use Widcomm as the MS stack doesn't support of bluetooth's 7 million variants of the handsfree audio profile (eg. my 9500 is unsupported)

What would be really nice is if David could resell Widcomm licences so that people aren't forced down the warez route to get their hardware working.

Comment

Working...
                        X