No announcement yet.

Selecting from multiple audio devices?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selecting from multiple audio devices?

Is there any way to select which audio hardware Centrafuse uses for music/video/etc. if the computer has more than one? I've got a couple USB audio devices connected in addition to the motherboard's built-in audio, and at the very least I'd like to select which audio device CF uses for all its output, but ideally each major component could use a different one, so I could send Nav prompts to the speakers on my Xenarc, music out to the car head unit and video out to the wireless headphones.

i have this 4 channel a/v switcher that will do just that. 4 inputs go to any 4 outputs. has a remote. i think its made by pyle
    99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Originally posted by albysure
      i have this 4 channel a/v switcher that will do just that. 4 inputs go to any 4 outputs. has a remote. i think its made by pyle

I think he means switching in software to multiple digital output devices.

Like telling Centrafuse "music goes to my Soundblaster Audigy 2" but "NAV prompts go to my USB sound card"

Comment

Yeah, this would be a cool feature. Being able to select what goes out what soundcard, like if you can select for the following, seperately.

- Media / DVD
        - System sounds (clicks) / NAV voice

Comment

oh ooops
          99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. Of course it complicates behaviors like, do you then still play music audio when the DVD/Video is playing (in my situation that would be yes but only when the video was on the rear screen).

But even just one global option would be a good start, because then I could change CF output to an audio device other than the Windows primary default, and leave my embedded apps to play through the default (which'd be connected to the LCD's speakers in my case).

Comment

I plan to improve multi-monitor support and add multiple sound card support...

david

Comment

It is also something that should be thought through thoroughly because some might want to have the sound sent to headphones when the kids are watching DVD´s but then sometimes you want it over the car speakers as well.
                But this would also require everything in CF to multitask, so that both DVD and Media can run simultanious .... which i think might start causing problems... It should also not be to difficult to change between output sources...

Same goes for the media section, how cool would it be to have 2 x Media, i tire easily from hearing kiddy songs :-) If my daughter could have her headset listening to kiddy songs and I can have my music in the car speaker!! :-)
                /SOS/
                XP Pro, CF 2.0-newest| Pioneer HU with 7" flip-out (EQ, Surround)
                Epia V10000 + nVidia FX5200, Opus 150w, 7" Lilliput, DVD* SlotIn, Wavelan, Bluetooth, GPS, WebCams, DVB-T

Comment

Originally posted by SOS
                  It is also something that should be thought through thoroughly because some might want to have the sound sent to headphones when the kids are watching DVD´s but then sometimes you want it over the car speakers as well.
                  But this would also require everything in CF to multitask, so that both DVD and Media can run simultanious .... which i think might start causing problems... It should also not be to difficult to change between output sources...

Same goes for the media section, how cool would it be to have 2 x Media, i tire easily from hearing kiddy songs :-) If my daughter could have her headset listening to kiddy songs and I can have my music in the car speaker!! :-)
                  If you can support dual video output, then DVD and Media can run together right now, I just don't support the multi-audio output portion of it yet...

david

Comment

That's great to hear David. Is that coming pre final release, or is it on the post-release future-features list?

If the latter, could you consider adding just the ability (even via conf xml change, don't need a UI on it) to pick the one audio device that CF uses? That alone would at least let me send Windows and external apps sounds to separate outputs than the music/video sound which would be huge. Right now my GPS solution (embedded Teletype) loses much of its value because the spoken directions and alerts are almost always overwhelmed by the music audio.

Adding individual volume levels on each discrete CF output channel would also work to some extent since I could lower the relative volume of the music, but since I already have three audio devices attached I'd rather just send the GPS audio out to an entirely different device which I keep at a constant volume regardless of the state of CF audio (I'd like my external GPS nav voice prompts to play even if CF is muted, for example).

Comment

Originally posted by HTLuke
                      That's great to hear David. Is that coming pre final release, or is it on the post-release future-features list?

If the latter, could you consider adding just the ability (even via conf xml change, don't need a UI on it) to pick the one audio device that CF uses? That alone would at least let me send Windows and external apps sounds to separate outputs than the music/video sound which would be huge. Right now my GPS solution (embedded Teletype) loses much of its value because the spoken directions and alerts are almost always overwhelmed by the music audio.

Adding individual volume levels on each discrete CF output channel would also work to some extent since I could lower the relative volume of the music, but since I already have three audio devices attached I'd rather just send the GPS audio out to an entirely different device which I keep at a constant volume regardless of the state of CF audio (I'd like my external GPS nav voice prompts to play even if CF is muted, for example).
                      It is setup to be a post release feature right now, but if I get the time I can pretty easily change where I output the AUDIO for music, but VIDEO/DVD/TV/GPS voice prompts are all a little more difficult...

david

Comment

hi david,
                        yes, it would be a nice feature to have more than one audio-output. Im on the problem with the rear-passengers rigth now. I want to send the video (not DVD) to the rear screen together with the video sound and want to use navi and music at the front sreen/speaker. Thats what you need in a car with kiddy seats.

regards
                        Matthias

Comment

I agree, that last feature would be the killer one that would be CF ahead of others, a lot of work im sure but i'd but it just to shut the people in the bacl up.
                          P4 Celeron 2.2 - 512MB - OPUS 250 - Audigy SE - BU353 - HQCT - No Speakers though :-(

Comment

Alright in the works, and shouldn't be that big a problem... I have a sample outputing the music to different speakers, channels, and sound cards...

Just the main focus is getting this release out and then the bugs found within that release, then features can start to be added again....

david

Comment

Thanks David

Comment

Working...
                              X