Suggestion: Emergency button for Nav

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Emergency button for Nav

I was driving to work with my co-worker the other day when a little white VW Caddy passed us on overtaking lane. Couple of seconds and a smoke cloud later a moose decided to meet the Caddys front fender. Moose did couple of somersaults to a ditch and ran off. As I was the only one not in a so-big-panic I had to call the emergency number. Luckily I know the area and could quite easily tell where the accident was. Also the only casualty was the moose this time.

Though I started wondering if this would've happened in a strange place, how could I remember the last intersection we had crossed, let alone the road number in that situation. Then I thought CF's NAV could have an "Emergency Button" which would display the coordinates and the road number, maybe even the next/last intersection and distance to it. It would be on its own window with big clear fonts.

The coordinates are easy to put to CF but I'd think the problem is the coordinate format - how we know what formats the emergency exchanges use? I checked out that here in Finland it is something like this:

Latitude N 60°20.457'
    Longitude E 022°42.204'

I googled and found this on coordinates http://makeyourownmaps.com/coordinate_format.htm
    So the above format would be "Degrees°Minutes.Minutes"

So the format should be configurable? What do you guys think? I haven't even thought about this until the 'real deal' happened to me and I had to call for emergency...
    Volvo 480 Restoration Project

this is an interesting idea. I just hope it doesn't get used to often.
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Well I guess its just me then.

Comment

Umm....

What about a system that takes info from the obd2 (say airbag or seatbelt pre-tensioners) and sends location info automaticaly (via text message) to a pre-determined number.... this could be used to inform the emergency services in the event of an accident at a remote location (lone driver) if say the system had no intervention after a pre-set time....

Just a thought....

Later Dudes....

Comment

It's an interesting idea. With screen real estate being as important as it is, however, it may be overkill in light of the fact that one can easily find one's current coordinates with just a couple of button pushes.

Comment

Originally posted by White 'van' Man View Post
            Umm....

What about a system that takes info from the obd2 (say airbag or seatbelt pre-tensioners) and sends location info automaticaly (via text message) to a pre-determined number.... this could be used to inform the emergency services in the event of an accident at a remote location (lone driver) if say the system had no intervention after a pre-set time....
            Doesn't Onstar do essentially that?

Comment

Originally posted by DaKyy View Post
              Well I guess its just me then.
              I think that's an excellent suggestion and I've often thought it should be implemented. It would not only be handy for emergency services, but also if you're on the phone to a colleague or boss and they want to know your position, you could tell them quite easily.

Comment

Only true postwhores remember everything they post

REP CLUB IS DEAD
                LONG LIVE REP CLUB

Comment

Originally posted by MadStu View Post
                  if you're on the phone to a colleague or boss and they want to know your position, you could tell them quite easily.
                  lol and what if your playing hookey and you dont want them to know
                  Sell me your stuff.. please see what i'm looking to buy
                  http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75182

Comment

Unplug your GPS

Comment

I'll have to up this thread if David would consider making this feature available. It could be as simple as "location" button somewhere on the menus.

Comment

I'll have to up this thread if David would consider making this feature available. It could be as simple as "location" button somewhere on the menus.
                        It's not a bad idea at all... I'm just focused on the bugs right now... I wrote it down on a list of features to look into...

You can also enable the emergency button in the Destinator that is already there, I just have it disabled... Look in the Centraufse installation folder under Common\Interface\Visual\All\Destinator.inf, open this file and in the top section you will see an emergency button called MAINSCREEN_EMERGENCY_BTN, commentted out on both line 145 and 166 I believe...

try to uncomment these and see how that works for now...

david

Comment

Not sure I'm uncommenting the right ones as I did that there sure was an icon with 4 arrows pointing to the center of that icon. When I pressed that it showed up some sort of "Home" screen where you could select your home location(address or POI). After setting up your home location you could get the route back to your home location by pressing that button So this was probably a emergency button for people who forget where they live ;D

Or then I'm doing something wrong.

I uncommented these:
                          Code:
                          ::CT_VERT, MAINSCREEN_EMERGENCY_BTN,1008,,0x4200000b,202,215,38,33,1,7,0xFF,0,0
                          ::CT_HOR, MAINSCREEN_EMERGENCY_BTN,1008,,0x4200000b,282,147,38,33,1,7,0xFF,0,0

Comment

Not sure I'm uncommenting the right ones as I did that there sure was an icon with 4 arrows pointing to the center of that icon. When I pressed that it showed up some sort of "Home" screen where you could select your home location(address or POI). After setting up your home location you could get the route back to your home location by pressing that button So this was probably a emergency button for people who forget where they live ;D

Or then I'm doing something wrong.

I uncommented these:
                            Code:
                            ::CT_VERT, MAINSCREEN_EMERGENCY_BTN,1008,,0x4200000b,202,215,38,33,1,7,0xFF,0,0
                            ::CT_HOR, MAINSCREEN_EMERGENCY_BTN,1008,,0x4200000b,282,147,38,33,1,7,0xFF,0,0

You can try all the other commented lines... By default nothing is commented in that top button section... This will cause other icons to show on the screen, one of them is an emergency icon I believe...

I will look into it, or let me know if you adjust it first and find what you are looking for...

I commented these out in order to hide Destinator dialogs as I add internal support for all the features...

david

Comment

I found the lat/lon on lower left button that also has the speed & altitude and some other things as you click on it. Was that what you ment? Don't know how it works though as I only tried it with my home comp that has no gps. Also it would be good if you could choose the format for the lat/lon.

Comment

Working...
                              X