Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing Blocked Road feature in NAV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Missing Blocked Road feature in NAV

    While happily driving along using NAV you come across something that has blocked the road (accident/flood/fallen tree etc.) but there does not seem to be a way of telling NAV that the road is blocked at a certain location and for it to calculate a route around it.

    Does this functionality exist in Destinator already?

    Do other navigation applications have this ability?

  • #2
    Sounds like pretty useable function to me.

    Comment


    • #3
      TomTom has it and yes it is Extremely useful.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cnugent View Post
        While happily driving along using NAV you come across something that has blocked the road (accident/flood/fallen tree etc.) but there does not seem to be a way of telling NAV that the road is blocked at a certain location and for it to calculate a route around it.

        Does this functionality exist in Destinator already?

        Do other navigation applications have this ability?

        You just turn around and it will recalculate.

        This could be handy for roads blocked for a longer period or if you know it before you get there.

        Another (related) functionality could be to have max height/width/weight for certain roads/bridges/passes so truckers finally have no problems following navigation instructions!
        List of front-ends/usefull apps
        XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JC-S60 View Post
          You just turn around and it will recalculate.
          If you just turn around it probably will tell you "U-turn in ..."
          Volvo S40 1998 1.8
          VIA Epia SP13000, 1GB ram, 1GB CF, 80GB hardrive, Haicom 204III
          http://carputer.dalaker.com/image.php?percent=50

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by toer View Post
            If you just turn around it probably will tell you "U-turn in ..."
            Nope, it will lead you back onto the highway, and the problem may be 1-10km long...
            /SOS/
            XP Pro, CF 2.0-newest| Pioneer HU with 7" flip-out (EQ, Surround)
            Epia V10000 + nVidia FX5200, Opus 150w, 7" Lilliput, DVD* SlotIn, Wavelan, Bluetooth, GPS, WebCams, DVB-T

            Comment


            • #7
              You need iGuidance
              2002 Honda CR-V
              Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
              Spent so far: $1105.90


              Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
              ...or even Listen to my music

              Comment


              • #8
                Garmin has it too.
                my Megane II install

                Comment


                • #9
                  David any chance of adding this to the future feature list?
                  I know you will have to forward the request to the Destinator guys if it's not in Destinator already.

                  Cheers everyone for all that info, I appreciate it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think almost any mapping GPS in the last few years has some sort of 'detour' function. So yeah, this would be an essential feature to have.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      currently if you pull up the turn by turn dialog from the view menu, you will get a list of all the turns. If you see a turn coming up you want to block, you select it and hit the avoid button, to the left of the paging buttons.

                      Is there something else everyone is talking about as well?

                      david
                      __________________
                      CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
                      01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
                      M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hi David.

                        While the functionality you have just described is great to have it is not exactly the same, or as useful as you have to know the road is blocked somewhere down it before you get to it (unless I read it wrong).

                        The functionality I am thinking about is for example you are driving across country on a straight road and you come across something that has blocked the road in front of you. You would tell the mapping software that this road is blocked at this particular point and the software would calculate the best route around the blockage.
                        In this way you may only have to drive back a mile or so and get routed around the blockage and possibly re-emerge on the road you were originally on, but of course past the blockage.

                        Is everyone else thinking of the same functionality that I am?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yes, in TomTom this works in 2 ways, either you just tell it:
                          Road blocked 1km
                          Road blocked 5km
                          Road blocked 10km
                          then it avoids the planned road for that distance, not just "1" turn.
                          But there is also some extra, which I used quite often for this kind for recalculation, i.e. if I had a trip which use 2 highways and 3 major roads, I could open the menu and tell it avoid "highway X" or "Road Y", because I knew there were problems with that road.
                          /SOS/
                          XP Pro, CF 2.0-newest| Pioneer HU with 7" flip-out (EQ, Surround)
                          Epia V10000 + nVidia FX5200, Opus 150w, 7" Lilliput, DVD* SlotIn, Wavelan, Bluetooth, GPS, WebCams, DVB-T

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by cnugent View Post
                            Hi David.

                            While the functionality you have just described is great to have it is not exactly the same, or as useful as you have to know the road is blocked somewhere down it before you get to it (unless I read it wrong).

                            The functionality I am thinking about is for example you are driving across country on a straight road and you come across something that has blocked the road in front of you. You would tell the mapping software that this road is blocked at this particular point and the software would calculate the best route around the blockage.
                            In this way you may only have to drive back a mile or so and get routed around the blockage and possibly re-emerge on the road you were originally on, but of course past the blockage.

                            Is everyone else thinking of the same functionality that I am?

                            If you are in a current route and you are on a straight road... In the turn by turn dialog it will show your next turn off that straight road... If you avoid this turn because the road in front is blocked once you get their, it will automatically re-route to get you to the same location a different way...

                            If it re-routes you another that is still blocked, you avoid the top turn and it will re-route again, showing you all the different ways without those turns to get to your destination...

                            david
                            __________________
                            CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
                            01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
                            M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X