Usb Gps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usb Gps

Hey, Ive got a USB GPS made by Garmin GPS18 model, and Ive noticed only COM1 shows up on the GPS adapter setup and no USB port's. Is there something Im doing wrong or does CF not incorporate USB yet?
    Car: 2003 Chevy Cavalier
    Cpu: 800mhz, 512mb ram, 133mhz fsb, 40gig hd.
    Install Progress[|||||||||||||||||||||||||] 95%
    Fixing Sound System

CF can use usb gps, go under settings and see which port your GPS is. Then chose this port in CF. Should work!
    Vehicle Media Systems
    Australia Car PCs www.vmscarpc.com.au

Comment

Garmin GPS uses his own system. It doesn't use neather NMEA nor SIRF, so it is only compatible with Garmin SW and vice versa.
      Actually you can use an interface, that converts the protocol from Garmin to NMEA or SIRF. Search for GPSGate or GPSProxy.

Comment

Originally posted by stric View Post
        Garmin GPS uses his own system. It doesn't use neather NMEA nor SIRF, so it is only compatible with Garmin SW and vice versa.
        Actually you can use an interface, that converts the protocol from Garmin to NMEA or SIRF. Search for GPSGate or GPSProxy.
        Does this enable the use of the software that comes with for example streetpilot gps´s (Mapsource) and use it stand alone inside a front end or does it just enable the use of a garmin gps to be used with the pc?
        Black SolarCell Portable Bluetooth Gps reciever for sale, Contact me!
        BMW E46 320 Touring project thread, making the perfect multimedia car ;)
        BMW E46 WORKLOG

Comment

I think it does for Mapsource too. I am sure it does work nRoute (also Garmin software) with normal SIRFIII GPS.

Comment

Woot Got it to work, what it does is it setsup virtual COM ports Com3 Com4 Com5 all feeding off of the USB GPS so you can use it with any GPS program and at the same time Multiple programs. Thanks guys!
            Car: 2003 Chevy Cavalier
            Cpu: 800mhz, 512mb ram, 133mhz fsb, 40gig hd.
            Install Progress[|||||||||||||||||||||||||] 95%
            Fixing Sound System

Comment

Originally posted by stric View Post
              Originally posted by bimmerpc View Post
              Does this enable the use of the software that comes with for example streetpilot gps´s (Mapsource) and use it stand alone inside a front end or does it just enable the use of a garmin gps to be used with the pc?
              The garmin GPS18 will output NMEA.
              How to enabl that, I don't know, sinc eI don't have one. Maybe the manual will tell you...
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Maybe a silly question but I´ve seen threads about tomtom emulators but not garmin. I mean the touchscreen software that is very user friendly runs from inside my garmin streetpilot. If I install the software cd that comes with the gps on my pc I dont get anything that I can navigate with (just a route planner). So how do I manage to use the streetpilot´s software from my pc?
                Black SolarCell Portable Bluetooth Gps reciever for sale, Contact me!
                BMW E46 320 Touring project thread, making the perfect multimedia car ;)
                BMW E46 WORKLOG

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerpc View Post
                  Maybe a silly question but I´ve seen threads about tomtom emulators but not garmin. I mean the touchscreen software that is very user friendly runs from inside my garmin streetpilot. If I install the software cd that comes with the gps on my pc I dont get anything that I can navigate with (just a route planner). So how do I manage to use the streetpilot´s software from my pc?
                  You can't. I think the reason you can have TomTom emulators is that they released the TomTom software for either palm or pocketpc. Garmin's software is totally proprietary and won't run on anything but Garmin hardware. I don't think you can even get a copy of the software on CD, let alone run it on any sort of PC.

Comment

Working...
                  X