Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC3 Sound QUality

I have upgraded my CarPC to v 1.7RC3, from the good old v 1.4

So this is the first time I have the ability make some sound quality comparisons between the old and the new. Keep in mind I have used 1.4 for about 1 year in my car, and I know very well how it sounds with my equipment. I know sound percpetion is subjective, but I have a very good reference point.

I notice that sound quality is definitely different in RC3. I am using exact same settings as before: Flat EQ, No normalization, and volume levels are set to same (main and pre).

I would say that in 1.4 the bass response was better. It was richer, chest punding base where it mattered. I can't get that anymore with RC3, and I don't know why. Fiddling with the EQ helped a little for some albums, but then made other albums worse.

David, has the Sound processing changed since 1.4? In what way?
    2002 Honda CR-V
    Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
    Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
    ...or even Listen to my music

Originally posted by justintime View Post
    I have upgraded my CarPC to v 1.7RC3, from the good old v 1.4

So this is the first time I have the ability make some sound quality comparisons between the old and the new. Keep in mind I have used 1.4 for about 1 year in my car, and I know very well how it sounds with my equipment. I know sound percpetion is subjective, but I have a very good reference point.

I notice that sound quality is definitely different in RC3. I am using exact same settings as before: Flat EQ, No normalization, and volume levels are set to same (main and pre).

I would say that in 1.4 the bass response was better. It was richer, chest punding base where it mattered. I can't get that anymore with RC3, and I don't know why. Fiddling with the EQ helped a little for some albums, but then made other albums worse.

David, has the Sound processing changed since 1.4? In what way?

It shouldn't have... I have gotten nothing but people saying the sound has improved from 1.4...

david

Comment

check your install. Something might have changed on the audio side of things. Amplifiers, speakers, connections, grounds, power, speaker wire, etc.
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
        check your install. Something might have changed on the audio side of things. Amplifiers, speakers, connections, grounds, power, speaker wire, etc.
        ??? Justin's been around here a LONG time, and given that he says he JUST upgraded to RC3, then I'll bet that he didn't also swap head units and re-wire the car while waiting for the install to complete.

Hey Justin (and David)... I think I agree with you. I've been having issues with CF's embedded XM support, so I just switched back to AIMEE. There is a DEFINITE difference in how AIMEE sounds versus CF - like you say, the bass response is tighter outside of CF. There are obviously a couple of variables there, but given that the source is constant, I have to point and say it's the difference between the internal & external XM apps.
        :: Mark

Comment

Correct, I ONLY CHANGED the CF app!
          2002 Honda CR-V
          Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
          Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
          ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

installs change over time, wires come loose and move. Connections rust and corrode.

Doesn't matter if it's worked great for 10 years. Things happen, ESPECIALLY in a car environment.
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I think that the sound quality in rc3 is way better than rc2!

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                installs change over time, wires come loose and move. Connections rust and corrode.

Doesn't matter if it's worked great for 10 years. Things happen, ESPECIALLY in a car environment.
                yes, but he's comparing the sound to what it was right before the install of RC3
                Installed
                Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clemen View Post
                  I think that the sound quality in rc3 is way better than rc2!
                  I agree that it's "better" in RC3 than 2, but listen to some audio files or XM _outside_ of CF (i.e., use MediaPlayer) and compare those two states.

The bass response difference in XM outside of CF is significant enough that I had to turn down my subwoofer.
                  :: Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro View Post
                    yes, but he's comparing the sound to what it was right before the install of RC3
                    .______
                    | '_ |__\___
                    [(o)|___(o)] XB
                    ._________
                    | I__I I_I|_\__I
                    [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

I have notice a diff in sound Q also. I can not say that it is better or worst on my system, but it is diff. The vol level control has changed. I have played with the settings, but have not been able to get the same response. The vol does not increase at the same level as in RC1 0r RC2. I also run a nice system in my car and have a great understanding of Car Audio and sound Q. It seems that the level of bass is not equal to the rest of the sound across all vol levels. There has to have been some change or there would not be more then one person who has noticed it. ~ Darin

Comment

The one time I tried CF in the car, the volume was very, very low even at 100%. Couldn't figure out why, and when I would start RR it would be fine. So I haven't messed around with CF since then.
                        Installed
                        Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                        512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                        Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                        [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Wow, there wires were supposed to come loose the exact same day he upgraded the software :-)

Talk about coincident...
                          /SOS/
                          XP Pro, CF 2.0-newest| Pioneer HU with 7" flip-out (EQ, Surround)
                          Epia V10000 + nVidia FX5200, Opus 150w, 7" Lilliput, DVD* SlotIn, Wavelan, Bluetooth, GPS, WebCams, DVB-T

Comment

David has included support for Winamp DSP plugins on his future features list. Once that's done, hopefully soon , we can all load the Winamp "Enhancer" plug and sound quality will no longer be an issue for anyone. IMHO the sound quality of CF has improved significantly since the earlier versions. At this point I think it's at least as good as Winamp without a DSP plug. The problem for me is that while using RoadRunner I became terribly spoiled by the sound quality improvements made by adding Enhancer to Winamp.

Comment

Well I finished my conversion of what I had configured in RC2 to RC3 in about half an hour....to be honest......the sound is the same for me. Then again I normalize the sound to begin with. Even when not normalized the sound, the volumes for mine are for the most part properly consistant to begin with. Then again I'm testing this on a in-house stereo and not in my car with the good stereo. lol. Still, the point in which we recieve DSP capability will prove to be the point in which most sound quality problems will disappear for the most part. Then it will be the question of output voltage of sound cards, distortion factors in the other equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X