GPS Recievers, working and not

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Recievers, working and not

Seems that a lot of people are having GPS lock issues. I'm trying to find something in common...

Are there just as many that are not having any issues at all?

Is it mainly bluetooth receivers? What about on a fresh reboot never having hibernated?

All NMEA or does this happen with SIRF as well?

david

I have the BU-353 and have had no issues except software not recognizing it correctly after coming out of hibernation, but I fixed that with Xport and I haven't had any issues with my GPS since.
    Carputer Progress:

Re-do fabrication of screen [DONE]
    Add mini-USB and micro-USB power from M2-ATX [DONE]
    Teardown PC [100%]
    Add HDMI > VGA converter [0%]

Comment

Well i have a HOLUX GPSlim236 and I have never gotten it to work once. I have used xpot3, GPSGate and even standalone....Set to correct ports set to Sirf didnt work set to NMEA it didnt work...SO i have no clue why it wouldnt work...And yes my receiver is Bluetooth
      2002 Mitsubishi Galant
      Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
      Via M10K
      512mb Ram
      60GB HDD
      Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
      OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

I have a Rikaline 6010 on RS232, running NMEA. I usually get 7-8 satellites locked, have occasionally had up to 11 satellites locked.
        Old Systems retired due to new car
        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

BU-303 USB works perfectly here, NMEA, usually 7 to 8 satellites (seems to be the max for this thing, it's budget (as in: 55 euro, which I don't think is budget, but hey ))
          Think I have seen it get more satellites, but not often. It does get 8 satellites even in the city (no skyscrapers here though, usually 2 to 3 story buildings).

Takes 30 to 60 seconds to get a lock (which is normally for this unit).

Also: even with 8 satellites, Destinator/CF can't seem to lock on the height, usually the height keeps on increasing with a meter per second then level off and drop again. Seems to be in sync with the update speed of the info box I guess... and happens even when standing still... horizontal speed is 0 km/h, direction seems to flip between S and SSW (while the pointer on screen faces north) - but that could of course because we're not moving
          It's quite noticable when you live in a country like the Netherlands ... 120m above sea level... yeah right that's in the very south of the country (and we call that mountains, go figure ), but not where I live (approx 50m tops).

This weekend might finally be an opportunity to test out the new car pc including CF RC4 on a small trip (about 500km in total if CF steers me in the right direction )

edit: no problems with hibernation
          CarPC: "Carma" (Car Audio & Route Management) (about 70% ready)
          P4 1.8GHz / 512MB / 4GB CF
          Asus TVFM + B/W camera
          15" touchscreen 1024x768
          BU303
          2x 100Ah
          reinstalling

And all this in a Dutch 1972 CitroŽn HY van called "MurpHY".

Comment

we use BU-353 and have never had any problems with it since RC1. I've got mine on the truck lid and it usually locks the full 12 sats, even when its bad weather. It will pick up signal straight away, when i come out of hibernation, it would of picked up already (15 secs).
            Vehicle Media Systems
            Australia Car PCs www.vmscarpc.com.au

Comment

Holux GM-210 USB. Not a single problem here.
              Volvo 480 Restoration Project

Comment

I have 3 receivers, serial, USB, and a Bluetooth and they all work... They are all NMEA, never tested SIRF...

It has to be a settings... Are only SIRF receivers not working? Is it localization with ',' character being replaced with '.' character and not being handled correctly by navigation engine?

Try setting your receiver to NMEA mode and your region to US maybe...

Just trying to track this down...

david

Comment

BU-353 USB (NMEA), no problems so far.... hibernation and reboot.
                  /SOS/
                  XP Pro, CF 2.0-newest| Pioneer HU with 7" flip-out (EQ, Surround)
                  Epia V10000 + nVidia FX5200, Opus 150w, 7" Lilliput, DVD* SlotIn, Wavelan, Bluetooth, GPS, WebCams, DVB-T

Comment

BU-303 USB here. has been working perfect all the time al CF versions work.. even with hibernation!
                    my destinator map resource down permanently

Comment

BU-303 worked great under Linux with gpsd. Doesn't work at all under Windows with USB->Serial drivers. Thinking of going to a BU-353, but I would still have the USB->Serial driver issues.
                      Carputer Project Status:
                      0% - Mobo died on 2/17/08
                      Check out the worklog for my '01 Pathfinder.

Comment

Originally posted by walstib View Post
                        BU-303 worked great under Linux with gpsd. Doesn't work at all under Windows with USB->Serial drivers. Thinking of going to a BU-353, but I would still have the USB->Serial driver issues.
                        Weird...are you using XP Pro?
                        Carputer Progress:

Re-do fabrication of screen [DONE]
                        Add mini-USB and micro-USB power from M2-ATX [DONE]
                        Teardown PC [100%]
                        Add HDMI > VGA converter [0%]

Comment

hey veetid, I'm using the Holux GR-213 USB GPS. Haven't managed to lock on any satellites using CF but other programs working. Check out my seperate post here.

I'm grabbing a BU-353 just to see if there are any differences and I'll report with the findings.

EDIT - CRAP! I mean.. WOOHOO! The GR-213 works with NMEA! Just tested it but instead of changing the settings and checking I exited out of the system and loaded it again. It also works fine with hibernate. What the?

Comment

BU-353 working perfectly, even out of hibernation.

Comment

Well somehome i was able to get it to work halfway....I was locked on 7 sats and the arron turned full green wiht no red x but it did not move and show my coordinates...It stayed in that same spot....
                              2002 Mitsubishi Galant
                              Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
                              Via M10K
                              512mb Ram
                              60GB HDD
                              Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
                              OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

Working...
                              X