Please eliminate the need for double tapping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please eliminate the need for double tapping

double clicking is inherently difficult on a touch screen especially in a moving car.

I would recommend that for navigation of the library a single touch of an item will select it and a subsequent tap (at any time) will open it. This would be awesome for cruising through the library.

alternatively, the little white right arrow buttons on the right side of each item listed in the library could be made to open the item. (I dont believe they have a function currently)

Either way, something needs to be done to make navigation of the library easier in a bumpy car. Automatic double click can be enabled but it makes navigating the library menu more difficult and prevents you from highlighting an album or genre and playing it. Without it you are forced to "double click" with your finger which is super hard even while stationary.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!???

why not try going to settings and turning on single click mode?

david

Comment

Or you can leave it in the double tap mode and use the Left and Right (Back and Forwards) arrows in the top left corner of the library screen (in the default skin at least).

Comment

I've used single click mode but found it frustrating. There are times when you just want to select something and play it. I can't remember what it was but I thought there were a few specific things that were impossible to do when in single click mode. I dont have my system up and running right now but I'll report back.

Comment

I see now I can use the forward and back buttons to select an item that is highlighted. This is nice and will be helpful for navigating music.

I still think it would be really cool if the little white arrow button on each list item was hot so it would open the list item if you clicked on the little white arrow but would only select it if you clicked on the list item.

Comment

that would be a nice feature I agree.

Comment

that icon changes and is just for display, it will be a arrow if a directory, maybe a start if a favorite, video icon for videos, etc...

let me know your single click issues... there were a couple in the last release, but I fixed most of them...

let me know what you don't like about it, I was told by most they liked it and it worked good...

you can still click once and hit play... It basically remembers what you clicked, not what is clicked on the next screen...

david

Comment

I couldn't find any single click "issues" this go around so it's mostly just a convenience issue now. I really dont want to use single click mode. I want the option of selecting/highliting an album and hitting play. I like that feature.

I just wish I could navigate the library (without single click mode) with single clicks instead of highliting an item and then clicking the forward button.

I realize that sounds stupid - why not just turn on single click mode? Again, it's having the option of highlighting an item when you want as well as the option of selecting/executing/opening it when you want. It's a dual-purpose button.

Comment

I thought of an example - if you're familiar with Windows Media Center you know you can select a genre, album or artist and hit the "play" button. It will play all of whatever you have selected. However, you can also hit the "enter" button on the item to drill down and select sub-items.

The problem with single click mode in Centrafuse is that you can't select one genre and play it because it immediately opens the genre. I suppose once the genre opens you can hit play and I think it plays everything. It's much slicker the other way though.

Comment

Originally posted by danwheeler View Post
                    I thought of an example - if you're familiar with Windows Media Center you know you can select a genre, album or artist and hit the "play" button. It will play all of whatever you have selected. However, you can also hit the "enter" button on the item to drill down and select sub-items.

The problem with single click mode in Centrafuse is that you can't select one genre and play it because it immediately opens the genre. I suppose once the genre opens you can hit play and I think it plays everything. It's much slicker the other way though.
                    then the way you refer to is double click and using the arrow keys... you highlight your Genre, and you could hit play now... if you want to use a single click to drill into that Genre you would hit the forward button, and the back button to move backwards....

or you use the single click mode which rememebers what you clicked, for example a Genere... so hitting play now plays all the genres on your screen if you have not drilled down any farther...

see which you like best and go with one, you will get use to one of them I'm sure...

david

Comment

We may just have to agree to disagree.

I'd like to see something that is both intuitive for the non-technical user and requires less clicking and moving your finger around the screen. The large back arrow button is self-explanatory and something we're all used to but the forward button is a bit of a stretch. When I first saw the forward button I didn't know what to make of it. "What would this "forward" button do? Will it take me to the future? I haven't been anywhere yet, how can I go forward?" I didn't use it until I was told what it did.

I think making the small white right-arrow button on list items hot would be:

1. easy to implement
                      2. wouldn't require a change in UI appearance and
                      3. would be an intuitive, quick and easy way to select that item.

It would nicely compliment the existing large white right-arrow navigation button in the upper left of the UI. They would both do the same thing but should you choose to use it, the smaller one would be more convenient and localized and only require a single click. Best of both worlds.

The small, white right-arrow button already exists and I initially found it confusing that it existed but didn't do anything. I never linked the two corresponding arrow buttons together in my mind.

I hope my suggestions are appreciated and don't just sound like a bunch of nagging. The interface is already damn good and I know the dangers of trying to make everyone happy but I wouldn't make a suggestion if I didn't think it was important to the success of the product.

Comment

It's cool and not a bad idea maybe for something later, but the way it works now seems to be ok with most...

forward/back buttons are pretty common and make sense to most windows users due to browsers and the entire explorer experience on XP....

what forward does is pretty easy and never had a person not know what it did, technical or not...

the single click works a lot like you want as well, it takes getting use too, but once you do it's not bad either...

there are a coupld of single click issues in RC5, they have all been fixed in the upcoming release...

david

Comment

Umm maybe im the only one, but i cant disable single click. In the menu I have single click off, and it still single clicks. Just me?

Comment

Originally posted by PhatMo View Post
                            Umm maybe im the only one, but i cant disable single click. In the menu I have single click off, and it still single clicks. Just me?
                            some places are always single click, such as XM stations and songs in the media player list view...

big difference with single click on/off in My Library...

david

Comment

Working...
                            X