Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

album art in id3 causes improper read

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • album art in id3 causes improper read

    I save album art in id3v2 tags so that they can be displayed in applications like this. Not only does this program not use album art (i'll have more about this in a feature request) such information appears to cause the id3 reading code in centrafuse to fail.

    With album art present, I get around three scrambled characters for album artist. When I go back and remove the album art from the id3 tag, rebuild the library, the information appears correctly.

    Thanks,
    -Chris
    http://neonpc.blogspot.com
    [||||||||||||--------] 60% done

  • #2
    I do not currently support album art inside id3 tags...

    david
    __________________
    CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
    M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

    Comment


    • #3
      But you shouldn't have errors when it exists...
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by frodobaggins
        But you shouldn't have errors when it exists...

        Exactly. There is a big difference between not supporting someting and having the existance of valid information cause problems.

        However, upon doing more investigation, it would appear that there is something wrong with my source files. They are currently being tagged with a python script of my creation. If i go back in and modify the id3 tags in a 3rd party tagging software they appear correctly when i rebuild.

        It should also be noted that these source files to appear correctly in the tagging software, windows explorer (id3 tag view), winamp, etc - so I am at a bit of a loss as to what the problem here is.

        With RR i get three strange characters followed by the artist / track. In Centrafuse i get just the three strange characters. I'm going to try playing around with my script and report back.
        http://neonpc.blogspot.com
        [||||||||||||--------] 60% done

        Comment


        • #5
          I agree that it shouldn't cause errors... The files I have with images in the id3 tags seem to load fine...

          let me know what you find out...

          david
          __________________
          CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
          01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
          M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

          Comment


          • #6
            well looking into this more it would appear that this may be caused by unicode strings. Like I said earlier, I'm using python and the library i'm using seems to force the strings into unicode regardless of what I pass into the .set_text method.

            But I have verified that working id3 information appears as

            'string'

            and my garbled stuff appears as

            u'string'\x00

            Which means unicode string with \x00 termination sequence. I have put an email into the library author to see what they thing about making a switch or something so I can still use my scripts.
            http://neonpc.blogspot.com
            [||||||||||||--------] 60% done

            Comment


            • #7
              that would make since... 1.4 has some unicode issues... I am trying to work them out in 1.5...

              david
              __________________
              CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
              01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
              M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

              Comment


              • #8
                update

                media engine = strange characters
                frodoplayer = works
                http://neonpc.blogspot.com
                [||||||||||||--------] 60% done

                Comment


                • #9
                  it's just that your script is writing the tags in unicode... if you get something, many many options, that will write the tags not in unicode it will work... I am working to solve my unicode tag problems...

                  david
                  __________________
                  CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
                  01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
                  M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by veetid
                    it's just that your script is writing the tags in unicode... if you get something, many many options, that will write the tags not in unicode it will work... I am working to solve my unicode tag problems...

                    david
                    I believe it is my id3 library that is writing the tags using unicode strings. This is the only library thus far that allows me to write id3v2 tags with album art successfully. I'd really like to keep writing id3v2 with album art going foward.

                    On my side of the script i tried to decode the unicode strings to ascii and to chop off the termination by doing the following in python.

                    mystring = 'blah'
                    mystring.encode('ascii')[0:-1]

                    But i just passed this string into the library function
                    someid3frame.set_text(mystring)

                    And the unicode/termination appears again. So I think that this is beyond my control for this library. Hopefully the library author will get back to me soon.

                    -Chris
                    http://neonpc.blogspot.com
                    [||||||||||||--------] 60% done

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X