Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio problems when making a phone call

Hi everyone,

This is my first carputer so be gentle with me please.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit and Centrafuse 3 installed. My mobile phone has been properly paired within Centrafuse settings and is sort of working, but with an audio delay. When I try to make a call on my mobile phone the music mutes as it should. The problem is that I don't hear the dial tone, nor the tones as the numbers are dialed, nor the sound of it ringing. Nor does the little window with the green and red handset symbols appear straight away. If the person I am calling picks up their phone quickly I don't hear them either so I don't say anything which results in them hanging up. If I call my home phone the answer machine is set to let the phone ring about 10 times before it answers. In my car I only hear about two rings, not 10, before the greating message and I can record a message. So there is a delay of about 8 rings before the audio kicks in, not a situation I can tolerate.

There is another problem that has just started too. When I start my car, and the carputer resumes from Hibernate, CF will start up again but I get about 10 error messages pop up saying something about a "Destinator dll file not found" and others saying something about "Multiple instances". So I close all of these and sometimes CF will behave as if it is working untill I press the "Nav" button and try to use Destinator 9. At this point the system freezes and I have to reboot. Other times after closing all the error messages CF will shut down and I'm sent to the desktop but without the taskbar so I have to reboot the system. I try to start CF after the reboot and get one of the above things happen each time.

I need to have a reliable system in my car as I am a professional driver, no not a taxi or limo driver, who spends all day on the road. My ambition for my carputer was to have everything I use all in one unit, not have multiple devices such as bluetooth hands free phone, GPS unit, MP3 player, you get the idea. If I can't get both of these issues sorted out then I will scrap the carputer and use whatever parts I can in my desktop PC's

So if anyone out there can help me with these issues please reply with anything you think is useful. The life of my carputer may depend on your help.

Thanks, Neil
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Hey Berber, good to see your working on the puter!

I would suggest you repost this over at centrafuse.com here: http://forums.fluxmedia.net/general-...use-questions/

I think you will get more responses as they are CF dedicated forums.

I'm not sure what all is going on with your system but here's what I do know;

There have been major issues with BT phone performance. I know mine does not work due to similar issues you are having. I am waiting for 3.5 to come out shortly and see it that fixes it. If not I will go on to plan B.

Regarding the Hiberation issues, I have not been using hibernation but I read somewhere on CF that a lot of the Hib. issues have to due with the USB devices not powering up quick enough to satisfy windows. I believe I read recently about a software solution for this to delay windows from looking for the devices too fast.

So have look over there and see what you can find!
    My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Hey PhilG, hows it going?

Thanks for the advice mate. This has been by far the most frustrating computer project I have undertaken so far. I have built a number of desktop systems, all sucessful with a minimun of frustration. Right now I have five desktop systems, an old P3 PCI graphics based system, one P4 AGP graphics based system, one P4 PCIE graphics based system, one Core i3 530 based system as a HTPC and my main Core i7 930 gaming system with high specs for everything, kicks butt. With a couple of other systems from the past that I stripped for parts or gave away. So you can see I'm no newbie when it comes to building computers and installing operating systems and other software. I actually had everything up and running on my P4 AGP based system to try out the various front ends and USB devices before I even got the parts to build my carputer and everything still works on that system, strange hey.

Cheers, Berber

Comment

It sounds like a lot of your issues are not hardware based though. It sounds like you are having similar issues to many others centred around CF. If you can; hang tight until 3.5 is released in the next few...uh.. who knows- likely days or weeks at the most (not months though!) and see if that cures whats broken. If not then make a decision where to go with it from there. I did talk to a guy in a booth at the Auto Show in Toronto this passed weekend and he claims to have an interface available my april-may that will allow a Parrot BT device to integrate with CF. I have a Parrot I am currently using due to CF's poor performance and it is PERFECT. So if this is the case, problems for the phone may be resolved once & for all. (assuming you are willing to shell out $$ for the Parrot BT unit)

Comment

Hi everyone,

Ok, so I take the carputer out of the car and set it up on my desk, hook it up to a CRT monitor, keyboard and mouse, external USB DVD drive, speakers, mic and power it with a desktop PSU.
          I decide to make a clean start so I format the SSD, reinstall Win 7, mobo drivers, USB wireless network adapter drivers, and reinstall Destinator 9 and Centrafuse 3. So far so good, Centrafuse starts up and I go through the initial setup. I pair my phone and everything looks good. I click on the "Nav" button and Destinator shows up no problem. So I decide to see what happens when I shut the carputer down and reboot it. So the carputer reboots, I wait for everything to settle down and go to start up Centrafuse. Centrafuse goes through its start up routine, I click and the "Agree" button, the home screen loads up and then.....a bunch of error messages start popping up and its SNAFU!!!

Thats it, the carputer project is scrapped and I will be stripping parts to use in my desktop PCs and selling what is left. I wish I had spent my money on an up to date head unit that can bluetooth with my phone and can connect with my Ipod. That way I will have something that actually works and the only seperate item would be my Garmin Zumo 550 GPS unit. The head unit I was looking at before I stupidly decided to build a carputer was the Parrot RKi8400. It would have cost me a couple of hundred bucks less than I have wasted on this useless carputer.

Cheers, Berber

Comment

Berber,
            Well. I'm very sorry to hear you are going that route but this hobby certainly is not for everyone. If the only pleasure for you is using the end result and not the journey getting there then you are making the right decision before inventing any more time or money. Mine was on my desk for several months until I was relatively happy with it's performance before I pulled and sold my old head unit. I had an Alpine W205 with NAV etc and honestly I would never go back BUT I enjoy spending time on this and I am not in a hurry as you can tell from my worklog LOL. Not everyone is the same though, I completely get that.

If you don't need the parts badly elsewhere and if you think yo would enjoy "the game"; sounds like your buying a headunit anyways to put in the car, consider hanging onto the stuff, get happy with your car & a head unit then maybe go back to it in your spare time and kep bench testing it until it's right. Just a thought but if your not enjoying the process, just dump it.
            If you change your mind and want to take your time, work through the bugs, I expect that there are enough people on here that can help.
            Best of luck in your final decision though !!

Comment

Hi PhilG,

My hobby is computers so I enjoy spending the time to build them and get them up and running. With the carputer the knowledge I have gained from my hobby was very useful but the project itself was not a hobby, it was a professional application so it had to work and keep working to be of any use to me. I will most certainly find a use in my hobby for some, if not all, of the carputer parts but it means that I don't have the money which could have been used to buy something that worked in my car. I will just have to save up again for that, so no big deal. Who knows, I may just do what you suggested and keep the carputer on the bench as a hobby project and one day I may be happy enough with it to try it again in my car.

Best of luck to everyone else with their projects.

Cheers, Berber

Comment

Sounds good, take care!

Comment

3.5 Has been released if you check your account profile. Maybe this can fix some of the problems you've been running into. But remember, if your hardware isn't in order, and you're unfamiliar with how the system is supposed to work, no amount of software can fix your issues. Good luck bud!
                  My CarPC

Comment

I don't have enough hair left for this!

Hi NoTec,

Thanks for the info about Centrafuse 3.5. I've had to walk away from the carputer project for a while before it drives me .

Its frustrating in more than one way for me. On one hand I have a desktop running Windows XP SP3 and CF, Destinator, etc. is working perfectly on this system. Its taunting me!!! On the other hand I have my carputer running Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit and had it working in my car for a couple of months before it went FUBAR on me. Now that's just not fair. One thing I have tried to do is format the SSD in the carputer and install Windows XP, seeing as the software seems to run stable on the XP system and not on the Win 7 system. I had to go with Win 7 on the carputer because, for some reason I haven't figured out yet, I can't get past the stage after Setup has finished loading the initial files from the CD. What happens every time is just as Setup is starting the install process the system crashes to a blue screen (BSOD). I can only assume that for some reason XP doesn't find the SSD and the install fails and BSODs. So for this reason I can't experiment to see if running XP on my carputer will fix my problems. I've never used an SSD before so if anyone can tell me if this is normal and knows how to install XP onto an SSD then please tell me, I'd be very greatful for the info.

One thing I have observed is that when I can get CF to run everything except navigation works as it should. But as soon as I press the Nav button the error messages start popping up and the system freezes. Sometimes I can give it the three fingured salute and shut it down with Task Manager, other times I have to press the reset button. When CF is working enough to let me get at the settings I go to the navigation settings and select None instead of Destinator and the system runs as it should, minus navigation of course. I haven't tested to see if the delayed audio during phone call problem I mentioned in an earlier post is there when I do this. So it would seem the problem is that Destinator and CF don't want to work together on my carputer. I don't understand how everything can work perfectly for a couple of months then suddenly FUBAR and stay FUBAR even after formating the SSD and a clean install of Win 7 and associated software and drivers. Doing this should have solved everything, at least for a couple of months before it FUBARs again. Maybe using an alternative such as Garmin Mobile PC may work, but I'm reluctant to throw more money at software/hardware and risk still having a dud, as I need to save now for something that will work.

At least with computers being a hobby I can make use of most of the hardware from the carputer so its not a complete loss. I may even turn it into a portable Jukebox with touch screen interface. The SSD from it would be a good upgrade to my HTPC too.

Cheers, Berber

Comment

Try to use a usb stick with windows installed on it. I've had the same issues in the past and this has worked for me. SSd's have given me trouble in the past 2, I'm running duel's in my carpc system now, so I know they work.

If you have your home system running and not on your carpc, that's all the more reason to GET it working on your carpc. that's why you're into computers isnt it? to try and figure these things out on your own. to learn and reap the rewards of a freakin computer in your car.

It's your car but I say give it another shot. post on our Centrafuse forums if you continue to have hardware problems. I know someone there or on here can help you fix anything that comes up - heck, that's how almost all of us learned.
                      My CarPC

Comment

Hi NoTec,

So I'm not the only one who has had trouble installing XP onto a SSD. Glad to hear you managed to sort it out. Thanks for the advice on the using a USB stick, I will give it a go.
                        I know it probably sounds like I've given up on the carputer, when talking about alternative uses for the hardware. That is my way of preparing for the worst case of not getting it to work. I still like the idea of one central unit controlling all my in car navigation, communication and entertainment needs. However the status of the project has changed from being a professional application to being something I work on as a hobby trying your USB stick suggestion first.

Now for a general interest item. I have a navigation, communication and entertainment system on my motorbike based on an Autocom Pro-M1 unit with a bluetooth module, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS unit, UHF radio, iPod and mobile phone. Everything feeds into the Autocom which connects to my helment which has stereo speakers and a mic. The bluetooth module answers and hangs up incomming calls automaticly so I can keep on riding. When I receive a call the music is muted. UHF has full VOX, permanent transmit or push-to-talk function set via a switch/button at the left hand grip. When I use the UHF radio the music is lowered to half volume. The Zumo has an MP3 player. Music and navigation prompts are sent via hard wire to the Autocom. The Zumo can bluetooth audio to the Autocom but it sounds better hard wired. I can pair my phone to the Zumo but I prefer the way Autocom controls it so I only use this function in the car. When I don't need the Zumo I use my iPod for music. And it has been working perfectly since installed in 2003!!!

Cheers, Berber

Comment

Hello from the long lost Berber,

It has been a few weeks since I made my last post and for most of that time I have done nothing with my carputer, needing to step back and think about my next move. Last weekend, when I could find some time between helping my son move house and other stuff, I decided to spend some time on my hobby. Remember I said that my carputer has been shelved as a professional application and designated to hobby status? So I got the thing powered up on the bench again with the CRT monitor etc. Instead of trying to install Windows XP from a USB stick, (no offence intended NoTec), I decided to go for a reformat and fresh install of Windows 7. I managed to get a hold of Garmin Mobile PC 5.006 software only, have a GPS receiver anyway, and installed it instead of Destinator. I installed the GMPC beta 1.2 plugin, which requires GMPC 5.007. I then got the GMPC 5.007 update installed and plonked in a set of Australian maps to complete the setup.

So the results so far:

With the carputer on the bench I got Centrafuse set up and working with Garmin Mobile PC, but without my USB GPS receiver which is installed in the car still. No error messages have popped up and it all looked very stable. I even tried making a phone call and it seems that the delayed audio problem has gone too!! Woot!! I was so happy with the results that I decided to give it a go in the car.

So I connected the touchscreen, the GPS receiver, etc. and turned the ignition key to accessory position. The carputer booted up into Windows as it should so I did the touchscreen calibration first. Then I started up the GPS receiver software to see if it was working. Got plenty of satallites and a 3d fix so all was good there. Then I decided to start GMPC on its own to see how it works with a receiver attached. I get a screen that asks me if there was a GPS receiver connected so I clicked on "Yes". After a couple more button clicks it starts to scan for the GPS.....and scan.....and scan.....and eventualy gives up with a message saying it can't find it and that some functions wont work, etc. I feel the urge to pull it out of the car again so I stop working on it for the moment and just use it for music and phone till I get a chance to work on it again. I manage to convince myself that I have made progress and that I just need to sort this little glitch out and everything will be alright. So I spend my spare time after work for the next few days doing research into this problem and come up with....not much.

Then one day I get this idea into my head that maybe I should click "No" instead of "Yes" when GMPC asks if a GPS receiver is connected. So I go to my descktop PC which I have also installed GMPC on and boot it up. I start GMPC and get the same screen but this time I pay more attention to what is written and see that it is asking if the software came with a GPS receiver. I suddenly feel so stupid. Doh!!! Of course it didn't. So that is why it can't find my GPS receiver. Its looking for the bundled Garmin receiver. Double Doh!!! So I click "No" and I get to the screen where you type in the activation code. This isn't the system I want the software to be running on so I stop there. I go out to my car and get the carputer out of hibernation and CF running as it should. I exit CF and start GMPC and do what I did on my desktop PC only this time I enter the activation code. I get to the screen where you start scanning for your GPS receiver and after a shot scan there it is, COM5 Serial2, full signal bars and lots of beautiful satallites giving me a 3D fix. And there was much rejoicing!!!

Ok, so now I seem to have a system that is stable, no error codes popping up, and haven't noticed that delayed audio during phone call problem. There is just one thing that needs to be fixed before I can say I am completely happy. I have noticed that sometimes the bluetooth is a bit unreliable. I doesn't always initialise when the system comes out of hibernation. This seems to be a common issue from what I have read in the forum but this may be solved with Centrafuse 3.5. Also I have read that CF 3.5 has been tweaked to work better on a Windows 7 system. So when I get around to it I will get CF 3.5 and give it a whirl. Now where did I put that round to-it?

So if PhilG and NoTec read this, be proud to know it was your words of encouragement that made me decide not to abandon this project altogether. Thanks guys!!!

Cheers, Berber

Comment

Great to hear Berber, now just use it and enjoy it for a while so before you start tweaking on it again (and I know you will). That way you will have accumulated some more hours of deserved pain from the hours of great use you got and you won't feel cheated.
                            On the note about BT, maybe shut down instead of Hibernate and live with the longer boot times to solve the BT initialization problem for now? Then you can work any bugs out of the system for the next few weeks and go back at that one once you know if there is anything else to be fixed at the same time. I shutdown the PC everytime mind you I never just go a few blocks when I fire up the trucka nd it will sit for days/weeks even in the winter without moving.

Comment

Its been a while hasn't it?

Hi everyone, Berber here again.

Just thought I'd pop in and say hi and give y'all an update on my carputer if you are still interested.

Well as mentioned in my last post I have stayed with Windows 7 but went on to use Garmin Mobile PC instead of Destinator. That was the best decision I made with regards to keeping my carputer running nice and smooth. I like using GMPC as it is similar to using my Garmin Zumo 550, its such a shame that Garmin have stopped supporting GMPC. I have been happy with the performance of my carputer so far with only a minor problem with a free plug-in that is supposed to auto dim the screen but I can't get to work properly. I have uninstalled the plug-in but now the "dim" button in the CF system menu does nothing so I have to use the buttons on the Mini Touch 700 or it's remote to adjust the brightness.

I have just downloaded the trial version of CF 3.5 to my P4 desktop for evaluation so I have 30 days to see what has been fixed. One thing I have tried to do and failed is upload my mobile phone's address book to CF. I see a message pop up for a fraction of a second saying that it is importing the address book but there are no contacts within CF's phone screen when I go there. All my contacts are stored on the phone, not on the sim card so I'm wondering if they have to be on the sim card before CF can import them. I will have to figure out how to transfer my contacts from the phone to the sim card one day and see if that works. I like the fact that the headset icon to the right of the clock has been replaced by the actual bluetooth icon on the home screen. To me it makes the association between the signal bars to the left of the clock and the strength of the bluetooth signal more clear. The larger green status bar for the wifi connection is also a nice touch IMHO.

There are a couple of things that are preventing me from using CF 3.5 in my carputer however. The most important thing being the lack of a free plug-in for GMPC for 3.5. Yeah, I know that there is Rebellium 4 available from TempGP but I don't want to hand over more cash until I know that the improvements in CF 3.5 are worth it. I'm thinking that it may just be worth waiting for CF 4 to come out as I am fairly happy with my carputer running CF 3.1 and GMPC with the free plug-in. Its a pitty that the person who developed the free plug-in hasn't developed one for CF 3.5 as I'm sure it would work well.

Well thats all for now, cheers, Berber

Comment

Working...
                              X