Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plugin: Ipod Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Plugin: Ipod Control

    RR already has a neat Ipod playing system. Browse the Ipod by Artist, Album, Songs. All by reading the ItunesDB file. I was thinking about taking it a step further for CF. Giving the option to copy files from the Ipod to the Carputer. I'm sure you could also have it go the other way, but the Ipod has a strange naming convention that would need more looking into. I can start coding the plugin if I could get someone to work on the skin. I am horrible with graphics. Anyone else out there use ipods? I've got the nano and figured it would be a great way to get files back and forth from my main computer to the carputer.

  • #2
    i think a plugin for ipod control would be awesome. however i don't think you'll have any luck at all getting files on/off the device. afaik apple is completely closed off keeping syncing the iPod exclusively with gayTunes ... if you do come up with a tool to get files on/off the iPod you're likely to be sued by the white giant.
    My JeepPC Install

    "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

    "it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by shakes
      i think a plugin for ipod control would be awesome. however i don't think you'll have any luck at all getting files on/off the device. afaik apple is completely closed off keeping syncing the iPod exclusively with gayTunes ... if you do come up with a tool to get files on/off the iPod you're likely to be sued by the white giant.
      There are several third-party programs which allow copying to and from the iPod. Look at anapod explorer, ephpod, yamipod, etc.
      My worklog.
      Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

      Comment


      • #4
        Are those skinnables? (or at least open source so we can start skinning)

        Thanatos.
        RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

        Nissan Aux-in MOD


        Originally posted by bgoodman
        We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

        Comment


        • #5
          man was i wrong ... it seems there's a ton of options for getting files on/off your iPod ... there's even one for winamp http://www.mlipod.com/

          thanks for the info kbyrd ...
          My JeepPC Install

          "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

          "it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by shakes
            man was i wrong ... it seems there's a ton of options for getting files on/off your iPod ... there's even one for winamp http://www.mlipod.com/

            thanks for the info kbyrd ...
            IIRC, the basic problem isn't hard, just parse an XML file which contains all the tag info plus a path to the music file.
            My worklog.
            Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

            Comment


            • #7
              Its actually very simple to play and copy songs off the ipod. The hard part has been putting into a plug-in.

              Comment


              • #8
                I would still LOVE to see this as an accessible part of the Library in CF - I've got 3 systems to keep synced, and it would make my life a LOT easier if I could just plug in my iPod and know that I've got all my newest music in the same place.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I second that!
                  Ipod integration on CF is the only thing preventing me from using CF I don't want to browse the ipod's filesystem, I want CF to be able to read the ipod/itunes DB and provide the metadata from the id3 tags (artist, songname, album etc.. AND the embedded albom art...)
                  If CF would have such an option I'll be the first to buy it!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Syncing the music would be nice, but not a huge issue for me. I think that just a way to control an attached iPod would be a HUGE benefit. I have many friends who have their own iPods that may want to play their stuff while they ride with me (however I may not want to sync their stuff with mine)
                    Via EPIA M1000
                    M2-ATX Power Supply
                    Win XP Pro SP2
                    512 MB RAM
                    60GB Hard Drive
                    Xenarc 7" Touchscreen
                    MP3Car Bluetooth Dongle
                    Netgear USB 802.11G WiFi Dongle
                    XMPC USB XM Satellite

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by t00h0t View Post
                      Its actually very simple to play and copy songs off the ipod. The hard part has been putting into a plug-in.
                      What sort of options are available? If a dll that can send play, pause, next ... to the ipod is available, I can easily put it in to plugin that integrates with cf.
                      System Developer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by djerik View Post
                        What sort of options are available? If a dll that can send play, pause, next ... to the ipod is available, I can easily put it in to plugin that integrates with cf.
                        Just letting you know that the comment you are asking about is almost 2 years old, not sure I'd expect a reply (I would try to PM him). As far as I know there is nothing out there to do this, I at one time checked (lightly though), so if you find out otherwise please keep us posted...
                        http://www.fluxmedia.net/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have an Ipod Nano and it works great with centrafuse. It picks up just like any usb drive does.

                          **EDIT Nevermind I see what you mean. Centrafuse only puts the songs in a list. They cannot be sorted by ARTIST, ALBUM,ETC..
                          EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bjm2020 View Post
                            I have an Ipod Nano and it works great with centrafuse. It picks up just like any usb drive does.

                            **EDIT Nevermind I see what you mean. Centrafuse only puts the songs in a list. They cannot be sorted by ARTIST, ALBUM,ETC..
                            Yeah that will work as long as your music isn't protected AAC....
                            http://www.fluxmedia.net/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by smeesseman View Post
                              Yeah that will work as long as your music isn't protected AAC....
                              Apple is now selling non DRM MP3 files, so this is good for everyone!

                              david
                              __________________
                              CENTRAFUSE http://www.centrafuse.com
                              01 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 Installed
                              M10000/512Mb/20GB, Lilliput 7", Holux GM-210

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X