Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I build a Skin

I want to build a Skin like the skin Traffic with my own Background
    is there are a good manual or a good program ???

thanks

Originally posted by tokz

thanks
    Yes there is excellent program.... that is curriculum planner of your local school of art. NEWB!!!!

Comment

A skin editor just helps you with the XML. You can do it your self just by changing the PNGs and the single skin.xml file.

FYI: The traffic's skin transparancy is an illution. You will have to make your PNGs have the effect by blending images (without using PNG transparancy). It's not just a picture placed behind transparent buttons. CF doesn't support real transparancy.

Comment

You can use real transparency for the main page icons and the logo's...

david

Comment

Oh yeah, sorry, of course the logo and I guess the icons too. I just meant you can't set a background image and then set the 6-buttons to be 30% transparent or anything like that (even though the traffic skin looks like it does that).

What would be really cool would be to allow the PNG graphics to have per-pixel alphablends (like I am still trying to do with SKINbedder, actually supporting it is easy, getting the alphablended part to update as the window underneath moves is the hard part - you have to draw on a WS_EX_LAYERED window).

Comment

I actually use to allow that and use WS_EX_LAYERED in one of the earlier versions... it was actually the version that everyone screamed about with performance issues... M10000 machines don't like transparency too much...

I took it out for performance reasons.. I might consider working at it again once I get everything else fixed and the app bug free... Then I will possibly have an enhanced graphics mode that has fade ins/outs and supports transparency, but for now it's not in the plan for the next few releases...

david

Comment

Originally posted by P3rv3rt B3ar
              Yes there is excellent program.... that is curriculum planner of your local school of art. NEWB!!!!
              Seriously... do you every have anything good to say on these forums?
              I am going to take that other persons idea and just read past your posts...

I mean that in a nice way, dont want to start a flame war =P lol

Comment

Originally posted by tokz

thanks
                If your just simply trying to change the background image where the images of traffic is now, just browse through the skin folder, open up... i think there are two versions of the image..

One for the default, and another for mousovers.

Open up both those in an image editor (Photoshop for example) and then just plop your image on top of the one that is in there now.... save the files over the old PNGs and load up your new skin

Really simple explination, hope thats what you were asking for, and not anything to do with those transparency things and all that

Comment

Originally posted by solodesignz
                  Seriously... do you every have anything good to say on these forums?
                  I am going to take that other persons idea and just read past your posts...
                  That is your freedom.

I mean that in a nice way, dont want to start a flame war =P lol
                  Dont worry i dont feel offended. Besides if u dont read my posts theres simply noway we could wage a war

But seriously though... artschool remark was meant more as funny joke than attack and also as respect towards Traffic skin, and its maker.

Comment

If your just simply trying to change the background image where the images of traffic is now, just browse through the skin folder, open up... i think there are two versions of the image..

One for the default, and another for mousovers.

Open up both those in an image editor (Photoshop for example) and then just plop your image on top of the one that is in there now.... save the files over the old PNGs and load up your new skin

Really simple explination, hope thats what you were asking for, and not anything to do with those transparency things and all that
                    Sorry to break your little buble, but it doesnt work that way. If u did some reading even on this thread, u would have noticed already.

Its because of transparency. Centrafuse doesnt currently suport alpha on most of graphics. So in traffic skin transparency is illusion, in a way that background actually exist in each and every piece of graphics where u can see it behind of something.

Without original photoshop files is impossible just "change" background... even with them its hell of a work.

Comment

if you really want to learn how to skin then you will have to get your hands on a good photo editing or graphics editing program.... it's not that hard really...

there are 2 different main aspects of skinning cf.... one is graphics & the other is actual positioning of buttons, text & such.....

I use photoshop to edit the png graphics files.... playing with photoshop for a little bit & you'll see that it's not that difficult.... if you keep everything where it originally is it is even easier, start out with just altering graphics.... after you get that down you can then play around with repositioning things with the skin editor or by editing the xml file for the skin directly

I knew nothing about skinning or graphics editing when I started, & in a matter of a week or two I was skinning.... it's not that hard, just takes patience & time..... lot's of time.... open the various png's in the skin & play... you'll figure it out in no time, then it's just a matter of learning how to use the graphics program to do whatever you want to do....

traffic was created by clipping the buttons & whatever else I wanted to keep, then overlaying my image with transparent clippings from the original skin... when you start playing you'll get the hang of layering & stuff... there are many good books to learn how to be productive with photoshop in a short time.... you will be as good at skinning as your graphics program is, & I don't think you'll have a good time with this if you don't get a good graphics program...

I recomend photoshop, older versions can be had on ebay for cheap I would think.... you just build all your graphics with layers, & then save a snapshot of what you created as a png.... there are a lot of different screens to edit, & with a little practice you'll figure out how to create a master psd that contains different screens & then hide & show what you want in the particular "snapshot" your working on ......

there are few things that are wierd with the cf skin, namely the "inserts" or pop over windows are not the actual clipped size from the main graphic & need to be rescaled to fit if your going to try & do the background image like I did, just start playing with it is the best way to learn... make a copy of the skin & hack away... you can't hurt anything working with a copy, if it's no good just make another copy & start again...

I can't release the psd's I have because they basically disected & seperated most of the cf copyrighted skin & to distribute them would just make it a whole lot easier for anyone to rip off cf's graphics, & I don't want to be a contributing factor to this... but it's not that difficult if you have a lot of time & a lot of desire for this.... good luck with it...
                      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by P3rv3rt B3ar
                        Sorry to break your little buble, but it doesnt work that way. If u did some reading even on this thread, u would have noticed already.

Its because of transparency. Centrafuse doesnt currently suport alpha on most of graphics. So in traffic skin transparency is illusion, in a way that background actually exist in each and every piece of graphics where u can see it behind of something.

Without original photoshop files is impossible just "change" background... even with them its hell of a work.
                        hmm weird, because I have made some own personal skins and havnt had any problems with transparency

Comment

hmm weird, because I have made some own personal skins and havnt had any problems with transparency
                          Oh so u read my posts afterall. Well i tried to explain the problem to u as good as i can. I dont feel like doing it again. Please somebody just make post like "mr. bear is right" and lets move on.

EDIT: I just dont get what your personal skins have to do with this, unless u made adaptation of traffic. What im saying if u dont use traffics way of illusion transparency in your own skins obviously u dont have problems. In other words: if u dont use transparency, its afully hard to have problems with it, duhh!!! But OP specificly asked changing backround of the traffic skin or making skin like traffic.

Comment

Working...
                          X