WOW a dedicated coder goes un-noticed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW a dedicated coder goes un-noticed

I can't believe there is no comments here, with current updates and consistantly reworking your code. Downloading now and I will give it a try tomorrow. Keep up the good fight SNO

I too am downloading. Just found you and would like to give it a try. Keep up the hard work.

Comment

Thanks for noticing

Thank you for the interest in my program.

I would love to get some feedback. Even negative feedback is [slightly] better than no feedback.

So please -- comments, questions, suggestions, hate-mail -- lay it on me.

Comment

This thing looks GREAT! Simple, quick.
        I need to do some testing at home but it looks like this may give me just what I need.
        I just found Driveline and loaded it on a virtual machine here at work and it worked first try.

Needs:
        Music - mp3 and m4a primarily
        GPS - Garmin mobile PC (still need to purchase)
        OBD - havent decided what
        Backup camera - function of the display
        Radio - RadioShark

Questions;
        Is there a way to display the volume control on every screen?
        Can I use the Griffin PowerMate for volume control?
        You say the images are external? How does one replace the images?

More testing will take place tonight.
        Thanks for your work on this.
        davidk

Comment

Just found the images directory.

Still liking it.
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by davekra View Post
            Questions;
            Is there a way to display the volume control on every screen?
            Can I use the Griffin PowerMate for volume control?
            You say the images are external? How does one replace the images?

davidk
            There's no option to display the volume on every screen at this time, though it could definitely be done. I was just trying to preserve as much screen real-estate as possible. It's a good suggestion though. Also, lots of users have an external volume control (head-unit or PowerMate style).

I haven't used the PowerMate personally, so I don't know much about it. The short answer is that it might work right away if you can configure it to control Windows volume. If it doesn't work with my program one way or another, i will make it work.

You found the images. They're nothing special at this time. Just images that hopefully convey what they do without the need for textual labels.

Thanks for trying my program. Much appreciated.

Comment

Just downloaded it to try it out. I like the effort but it just doesn't feel intuitive/natural enough for me.(And I don't generally read getting started guides...)

The front screen icons confused me at first, still kinda does. I naturally clicked the visualizations thinking that would lead me to the music controls, which nothing happened. Started just trying to click a couple things at random only to reach a screen I didn't understand and found out the hard way that the giant green buttons aren't back buttons, I'm assuming they're Next/Prev buttons at this point. And since I didn't configure any music, or had any loaded, the program would throw an exception error and crash. I noticed the skins folder, so I guess I can get around to swapping up the icons to make more sense to myself.

At the moment I'm liking that this was done in VB and that you're offering up the source. I'd just taken my first VB class last sem, and some C++ classes(OOP and DataStructs), so when I get home I may take a look at the source and see if I can throw anything into the mix.
              Scion tC '05 - Installed --But still setting up varying features.
              Computer SW - Tiny7, RideRunner + Garmin

Comment

Originally posted by Zaephor View Post
                Just downloaded it to try it out. I like the effort but it just doesn't feel intuitive/natural enough for me.(And I don't generally read getting started guides...)

The front screen icons confused me at first, still kinda does. I naturally clicked the visualizations thinking that would lead me to the music controls, which nothing happened. Started just trying to click a couple things at random only to reach a screen I didn't understand and found out the hard way that the giant green buttons aren't back buttons, I'm assuming they're Next/Prev buttons at this point. And since I didn't configure any music, or had any loaded, the program would throw an exception error and crash. I noticed the skins folder, so I guess I can get around to swapping up the icons to make more sense to myself.

At the moment I'm liking that this was done in VB and that you're offering up the source. I'd just taken my first VB class last sem, and some C++ classes(OOP and DataStructs), so when I get home I may take a look at the source and see if I can throw anything into the mix.
                Thanks. You are absolutely right. If no media is loaded, and you click prev/next, it generates an error. (fixing now.) That's exactly why I wanted to get input from others that aren't as familiar with the program as I am. Maybe the images are not intuitive enough after all. But really, I don't know if I can be held accountable for anyone choosing to not read the Getting Started guide to see what's what. I'll post a version with the prev/next buttons fixed shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by ClockWorK View Post
                  Thanks. You are absolutely right. If no media is loaded, and you click prev/next, it generates an error. (fixing now.) That's exactly why I wanted to get input from others that aren't as familiar with the program as I am. Maybe the images are not intuitive enough after all. But really, I don't know if I can be held accountable for anyone choosing to not read the Getting Started guide to see what's what. I'll post a version with the prev/next buttons fixed shortly.
                  lol I agree on that, and I'll happily keep an eye. Part of the reason I skip the guides for this type of software is due to the fact I'm not always the one driving my car. My family is always moving my car, and sometimes I'm not the designated driver. That and my passengers always have to poke the screen as soon as they sit down. I realize skipping the guide is why I didn't have any music setup, and I'll definately say that one's my own fault. :-P But nothing here about blame, just first glance natural use. UI design can be difficult, sometimes putting the giant red button labeled "ERASE HARD DRIVE" just isn't clear to your coworkers.

Comment

I take no offense, and I appreciate the input.

While I will admit that UI design is not my favorite part of programming, I do try to make things intuitive, since my wife uses my car. She's the one who convinced me to add the Shuffle option.

Comment

Alright, i finally got to better look at it, I'm definitely liking it's size and speed so far. Granted i'm testing with my laptop so i'm missing my gps and whatnot. Tapping the black bar on the bottom of the screen still feels unnatural, since at first glance it doesn't look like it's meant to do anything more then display content.

I was looking at the config files and glancing over the modINI.vb and noticed the need for the user to have to enter in the string array size and number them. I can't decide to myself if that's the easier way to do it, at least for the user, or if maybe System.Xml might be easier?
                      I wrote a program after my first vb class and a bit of googling, as an addon for an mmo i'm playing that doesn't have addon support(Aion) . It parsed an xml sheet to display some info for the user, then ran through every instance of "color", counted each color and displayed it for the player as a way to gauge gear level. Anyhow, it would take care of the array size count and whatnot. I don't know if this sample code is of interest to you, but I'd happily PM it to you if your interested. I think it might be able to turn the like 68 lines(Function INI_GetValue) you have for parsing into like <10.

Comment

The status bar seemed like a good 'home' button because it is visible on every screen. I am definitely open to other ideas though.

Funny you mention the INI code. Originally, it was 1 line of code to read a setting, and one line of code to write a setting. But that was using Win32API functions ReadPrivateProfileString and WritePrivateProfileString. I wanted to get away from the API where I could, but didn't want to risk bloating the program with any XML, so I wrote all the IO myself. I agree that there's probably a better way for the user to enter this info, and to store it, but I don't know if XML is the answer (yet). It would be pretty simple to remove the need to enter the array size, and just have the app check 0 thru 100.

Comment

from browsing some of the docs looks like xml should be able to write, thats the one thing i didnt need so i didnt look into it. i'll send a sample from my old program so u can take a look at least for loading settings.

Comment

OK, so I need to ask a dumb question here. How do I run/install this application. I downloaded it, unzipped it, and hit driveline.exe app, but I get an error message of ".Net framework" needs to be installed? Little help? Thanks

Comment

In short, this is a .Net 2010 application, and requires that the MicroSoft .Net Framework 4.0 be installed on your machine. You probably already have some version of the .Net framework installed, but not the latest.
                              Here's the link to MicroSoft's website with the installer for .Net framework 4.0:
                              http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Comment

Working...
                              X