Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have installed a microphone... Can I do any voice commands in Driveline?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have installed a microphone... Can I do any voice commands in Driveline?

Yesterday I installed one of those expensive Andrea 350 array microphones, and was playing with windows speech recognition features. I tried to get it to do something in Driveline, but it did not recognize any of my commands, and I am not sure that the Driveline screen was even in the focus of Driveline, it may have been stuck at the desktop.

I configured the microphone to not play what it hears, because that messes with the background music. There is a little window that listens to what I say, and even if music is playing, it can hear what i am saying because of where the array is placed on my sun visor.

Are there any voice commands built into Driveline?

Things I would like to do are:

Turn On/Off Phidget Digital Outputs
    Turn On Camera #1-5
    Next track/Previous Track
    Volume Mute/Resume
    Volume Atteunate/Resume
    and more.

DriveLine does support voice commands. When I implemented voice commands in DriveLine, I experimented with an 'always listening' mode, but I felt like it wasn't reliable. So, to trigger DriveLine to start listening, perform a long-hold on the status-bar. The music will pause for a few seconds while you speak a command. I could probably add a Config setting to enable 'Always Listening' mode. I've got some other ideas for how to make it easier to use too. But the basic functionality is there.

For skin-specific commands, look for
    Skin_SkinVoiceCommands.xml in the skin folder.

For generic DriveLine commands, look for
    DriveLine_VoiceCommands.xml in the Settings folder.

I recommend testing both.

Comment

Thanks Clock, that gives me lots of stuff to play with. I'll report my results.

Comment

I was not able to long hold the status bar with my finger or stylus because the touchscreen only lasts a second or 2 then the highlighting goes away. So I tried with a keyboard and at about 2-3 seconds the music will mute. I could not get any of the commands listed to respond though. The speech flyout does not show, but when I said start listening, I heard it beep in response.

I will spend some more time messing with it, but is there a way to change the long hold time on the status bar?

Comment

The voice-command functionality will not display any fly-out. It uses Windows built-in speech recognition. (To be clear, it's built into Windows Vista and later. For WinXP, you need to install MS Office.) You will probably need to configure/train Windows Speech Recognition before it will work reliably.

If a long-hold is not working with your touch-screen, you may have the touch-screen software configured to turn a long-hold into a right-click. There is currently no config setting to adjust the long-hold duration.

You should be able to perform a long-hold on the navbar with a mouse to test. After a few seconds, the music will pause. Try speaking 'computer toggle dimmer' or 'computer close driveline'. These two commands are defined in the generic 'DriveLine_VoiceCommands.XML' file.

In the next test version, there will be an icon you can add to the home-screen which will trigger voice-command listening with just a normal click. The icon will be grayed out if speech-recognition is not available. I will look into adding the 'Always Listening' option as well.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the tips!

Comment

I think I found a bug in the voice command code, causing it to not match voice-commands to speech. I'll get you a new version to test tomorrow.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Ironically, the problem was caused by some extra error-trapping that I put in.

Comment

This will be a much needed addon. Can't wait SNO

Comment

Originally posted by ClockWorK View Post

If a long-hold is not working with your touch-screen, you may have the touch-screen software configured to turn a long-hold into a right-click. There is currently no config setting to adjust the long-hold duration.
                      we have discussed too. you know my touchscreen and it's drivers has that option on default ( turning a long press into a right click ) but looking around the touchscreen's software i saw a setting about timing . i set the right click on 3000ms and then voilą everything worked fine .

But i told you already you are a genius,didn't i ?

on the voice commands kind disappointed that it working on the window shell. i was training that speech recognition for about 30 min ( a month ago didn't knew about driveline and voice commands) . i can say i was impressed by the cleverness of this program while was on training mode. i told myself hey if ms cant after all who can. But then again i opened the program to test it ( car moved windows closed a typical vw isolation) and i got very dissapointed . it couldn't even recognise escape , up , enter....!

so i gave up on the speech recognition.

thing that i suspect everybody with a low budget (<20$) microphone will do.
                      Vw Sharan 2007 1.9tdi || Exide 100Ah
                      Fuzzy 945gme + core duo T2400 + 2gb ddr 667 + pci nvidia 5500 256mb + kingston v300 60gb + hdd 2.5" 100gb 5400 + Sure Gps module
                      Primary monitor 8" 800x600 || Secondary monitor 15.4" 1280x800