No announcement yet.

Globalsat BU-353s4 as a windows 8 gps sensor

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Globalsat BU-353s4 as a windows 8 gps sensor

Any info on how to set it up without installing third party drivers?

Well you may need drivers for that device in order for the OS to recognize it. Once the OS see's it, you use it like you would any other GPS on any other OS. But if you're referring to getting it working with the Windows Location Platform (so all the store apps can use it), then you must use a product like GPSDirect. No other way around it.

so what is the meaning of driveline gpsinfo saying 'using windows 7 sensor'?
      I installed the drivers for the device and it is working ok with gamin mobile pc. I just wanted to share the gps data without using an additional gps splitter.

I "think" ClockWork is taking advantage of the Windows Location Platform to provide general location data to Driveline (please ask him to verify). Just keep in mind that the position data provided by the platform can be derived from a variety of sources OTHER than a GPS. Cell towers (if you have 3G/4G) Wifi, IP address can all be used to establish a position. But all of those may be less precise than GPS and they don't update as frequently, so they are not the best choice for use with navigation programs. An onboard GPS is always the best choice.

DriveLine supports either reading a GPS device on a COM port, or using the Windows Location Platform. Windows Location Platform tries its best to figure your location, based on GPS (if available), WiFi, IP, basically everything VegasGuy said. I pretty much consider it a fallback option.

Your best bet is to use a GPS device on a COM port, and use some port-splitting software. From there, you can use software (if you want) to also update the Windows Location Platform information, which can be useful for web browsing on sites that can use location data.

(i still cannot believe that these Windows tablets don't come with GPS. Just stupid.)

It's always nice to see you chime in VegasGuy.

Yeah, I deal with this "Location platform" issue nearly every day with my Localizer program. Microsoft really kind of screwed the pooch on that concept...I know what they "thought" they were doing, but it just causes more trouble than its worth.

I like your "Random" thread... pretty interesting (and funny) stuff.

Thanks VegasGuy. I will continue using a gps splitter.

Take 4 right-angle brackets. Put them in a vice and bend each one to roughly 70 degrees.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150117_192258.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	2288890

Use plywood for now. Acrylic when we're done. Affix angle brackets to back side of ply wood. Just do 3 out of 4 to start.

Name:	IMG_20150117_193713.jpg
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	2288891

Based on the offset of the tablet from the 3 brackets already attached, trim wood, leaving margin for 4th bracket. Attach 4th bracket.

Name:	IMG_20150117_211923.jpg
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	2288892

Now we need some big brackets to mount this sucker in the car.

Name:	IMG_20150117_214827.jpg
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	2288893

Screw them on. All screws are machine screws held on with lock-nuts.

Name:	IMG_20150118_162600.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	2288894

One last look before we mount it.

Name:	IMG_20150118_162625_1.jpg
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	2288895

What a relief.

Name:	IMG_20150118_200426.jpg
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	2288896

Then, remove it all, and do it again with acrylic / plexiglass.
                Last edited by ClockWorK; 01-18-2015, 09:51 PM.