Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radio Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Radio Plugin

    Hey I was wondering how one would create a radio plugin?

    I just got a Directed HD and I wanted to see about creating a plugin to use it within FreeICE using Mitch's library.

    I took a look at the Example Plugin which looks pretty bare. Is there another interface for radio stuff or is all that built into the app?

    Using enumerations for the standard application commands would help. Using MEF (as someone else suggested) might be a good idea too.

  • #2
    Originally posted by oolong View Post
    Hey I was wondering how one would create a radio plugin?

    I just got a Directed HD and I wanted to see about creating a plugin to use it within FreeICE using Mitch's library.

    I took a look at the Example Plugin which looks pretty bare. Is there another interface for radio stuff or is all that built into the app?

    Using enumerations for the standard application commands would help. Using MEF (as someone else suggested) might be a good idea too.
    radio part is built in on FreeICE core. and i agree FI needs HD radio. as of now, code hasnt been added yet, because mitch needs to give the ok first.

    about changing the way plugin loader works, is true that using MEF would be cleaner, and safer, for this changes is better to let steve decide to go with MEF or not. honestly i dont think is that bad as it is.
    BASSRR ==> [Audio Player/MusicDB/Cd Player/Ripper/Rate/Internet Radio/Audio Capture/Youtube Video]
    RRTube ==> [View/Download Youtube Videos]
    WifiMan ==> [Wifi Manager]
    RRec ==> [Audio Capture]

    If You Want To Be Given Everything, Give Everything Up ...
    Bird York -- In The Deep --

    Comment


    • #3
      The interface code for talking to the HD Radio is freely available if anyone is experienced with serial programming I could help them with writing the code to do the job.
      "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
      RevFE
      My Shop

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
        The interface code for talking to the HD Radio is freely available if anyone is experienced with serial programming I could help them with writing the code to do the job.

        that sounds really good, if you are willing to help out, feel free to join us on FI forums, and lets get this HD radio working for FI, once and for all.
        BASSRR ==> [Audio Player/MusicDB/Cd Player/Ripper/Rate/Internet Radio/Audio Capture/Youtube Video]
        RRTube ==> [View/Download Youtube Videos]
        WifiMan ==> [Wifi Manager]
        RRec ==> [Audio Capture]

        If You Want To Be Given Everything, Give Everything Up ...
        Bird York -- In The Deep --

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by EL CAMINO View Post
          radio part is built in on FreeICE core. and i agree FI needs HD radio. as of now, code hasnt been added yet, because mitch needs to give the ok first.
          I don't see why Mitch wouldn't give the "ok" since this is freeware . And as malcom2073 said , even without Mitch's code someone could just program serial port directly. It would just be a pain.

          FreeICE seems to work the best with my setup out of everything else I've tried. Now I just need a radio

          Well after playing around a bit, it seems that creating a radio plugin is possible.... I'm able to read the radio on/off, previous/next, as well as station preset commands. The only issue is being able to set the radio information. I can send the command for radio name, artist, etc. However this gets immediately overwritten by the built in radio functionality so I only see it for a split second.

          So it seems like If you could somehow disable the radio built into the application then you could create a radio plugin.

          Originally posted by EL CAMINO View Post
          about changing the way plugin loader works, is true that using MEF would be cleaner, and safer, for this changes is better to let steve decide to go with MEF or not. honestly i dont think is that bad as it is.
          Yeah it's not bad or anything... Just using some enumerations or classes for the commands instead of passing strings around would make things easier to follow and less error prone. Creating separate event handlers catagorized for the type of function would also keep every single plugin from handling every single event. Then typically you would have a "Handled" or "Cancel" property on the event to disable it.

          I think using MEF could make things easier for Steve later on down the road. Since it gives you a lot out of the box and things like lazy loading might help performance as well.

          It also makes it possible for people to create plugins for plugins... Someone could create a plugin and easily create their own interfaces for others to plug into.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by oolong View Post
            I don't see why Mitch wouldn't give the "ok" since this is freeware . And as malcom2073 said , even without Mitch's code someone could just program serial port directly. It would just be a pain.

            FreeICE seems to work the best with my setup out of everything else I've tried. Now I just need a radio

            Well after playing around a bit, it seems that creating a radio plugin is possible.... I'm able to read the radio on/off, previous/next, as well as station preset commands. The only issue is being able to set the radio information. I can send the command for radio name, artist, etc. However this gets immediately overwritten by the built in radio functionality so I only see it for a split second.

            So it seems like If you could somehow disable the radio built into the application then you could create a radio plugin.



            Yeah it's not bad or anything... Just using some enumerations or classes for the commands instead of passing strings around would make things easier to follow and less error prone. Creating separate event handlers catagorized for the type of function would also keep every single plugin from handling every single event. Then typically you would have a "Handled" or "Cancel" property on the event to disable it.

            I think using MEF could make things easier for Steve later on down the road. Since it gives you a lot out of the box and things like lazy loading might help performance as well.

            It also makes it possible for people to create plugins for plugins... Someone could create a plugin and easily create their own interfaces for others to plug into.

            nice to hear you have done some work on HD radio, true that radio needs to be handled in a different way. so if you are willing to help out with HD radio support, let us know, so we can add it to FreeICE.
            BASSRR ==> [Audio Player/MusicDB/Cd Player/Ripper/Rate/Internet Radio/Audio Capture/Youtube Video]
            RRTube ==> [View/Download Youtube Videos]
            WifiMan ==> [Wifi Manager]
            RRec ==> [Audio Capture]

            If You Want To Be Given Everything, Give Everything Up ...
            Bird York -- In The Deep --

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by EL CAMINO View Post
              nice to hear you have done some work on HD radio, true that radio needs to be handled in a different way. so if you are willing to help out with HD radio support, let us know, so we can add it to FreeICE.
              Sure, I need to work on this anyway to get my radio working. ;-)

              However I'm not sure how far I'll get without being able to disable the built in radio functionality which seems to overwrite anything I send to the UI. I'd hate to have to build a whole new screen... And I'm more of a WPF/Silvelright/HTML guy than a Flash guy.

              I just ordered Mitch's cable so I'll have a chance to look at it next weekend.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by oolong View Post
                Sure, I need to work on this anyway to get my radio working. ;-)

                However I'm not sure how far I'll get without being able to disable the built in radio functionality which seems to overwrite anything I send to the UI. I'd hate to have to build a whole new screen... And I'm more of a WPF/Silvelright/HTML guy than a Flash guy.

                I just ordered Mitch's cable so I'll have a chance to look at it next weekend.

                go as far as you can , as for skinning just call , we may be able to fill in the gaps for you ,, if a new scr is needed so be it ,, it can be set in settings to which scr to use , or even auto set ,,, i have a hd unit here from mitch some time back ,, i can only get fm radio out of it , as i'm uk ,, so no sat's to use

                anyway keep up the good work , let us know when help is needed
                Riderunner / Genesis
                Plugin Breaker in test BassRR Plugin Player, Wifiman_NET
                New Home for Genesis & BassRR :adding to site ,, Hellfyre night
                Bassrr Beta Release :Version 1.3.7
                Movie_info Release :Version 3.1.0
                Wifiman_NET:Version 1.0.0

                Every Future, Needs A Beginning

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by carputer1 View Post
                  go as far as you can , as for skinning just call , we may be able to fill in the gaps for you ,, if a new scr is needed so be it ,, it can be set in settings to which scr to use , or even auto set ,,, i have a hd unit here from mitch some time back ,, i can only get fm radio out of it , as i'm uk ,, so no sat's to use

                  anyway keep up the good work , let us know when help is needed

                  Now I've not touched FI for a good few weeks as I'm trying to get my kit car to paint.. BUT, I think it should be very easy to add a command for you.. something that will pause wmp and also stop the variables updating so you can update them from your plugin

                  I will try and update my version to the latest everyone's using and see if I can help you a little :-)

                  Steve
                  Follow me on Twitter

                  http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    PM me and we can discuss the best way to add HD, like carputer said, he can test for us, i think is better to add HD support in FI core, like the other radio tuners, not on a PI, or different screen.
                    BASSRR ==> [Audio Player/MusicDB/Cd Player/Ripper/Rate/Internet Radio/Audio Capture/Youtube Video]
                    RRTube ==> [View/Download Youtube Videos]
                    WifiMan ==> [Wifi Manager]
                    RRec ==> [Audio Capture]

                    If You Want To Be Given Everything, Give Everything Up ...
                    Bird York -- In The Deep --

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CdRsKuLL View Post
                      Now I've not touched FI for a good few weeks as I'm trying to get my kit car to paint.. BUT, I think it should be very easy to add a command for you.. something that will pause wmp and also stop the variables updating so you can update them from your plugin

                      I will try and update my version to the latest everyone's using and see if I can help you a little :-)

                      Steve
                      Yeah if I can stop the variables from updating and wmp that would be outstanding.

                      I don't know how the built in radios work but if there's a radio interface somewhere I could use that would be great too.

                      I wanted to see if I could solder together my own serial cable for the Directed HD, but that was a complete fail. So I'll have to wait until Mitch's cable arrives before I can test anything.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X