Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frodoplayer standalone projekt?

Hi guys,

i am using Frodoplayer and I think this will be one of the most used CarPc Frontends in the future, so I am going to ask you this question.

What do you think about a standalone Solution of frodoplayer?
    A Carpc-killer-solution including a small operation System, easy to install and to handle. No unused waste-progs and a size which easy fits on a 32mb Flash card.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

I think some people here know an OS called "Nano98".
    Its a Windows 98se, reduced to a filesize of 10mb. The booting time is betwenn 3 and 8 sec. It only includes the basics of Windows and not more than the really needing parts.
    The explorer itselve is copied from Win95 and offers also not really a lot, but :

When you use frodo, an exlorer is not needed, so we can also leave it away, to get 2mb more space, and reduce the booting time.

I am working a long time with this OS, but I am still looking for a possoibillity, to copy this OS, because at the moment, the only way to get a nano98 is to build it yourself, whick needs about 3h and a lot of dos experience.
    If we find a chance to install it by simply copying/registering the files to a hdd, its easy to build a dos installation, which installes your nano98 with frodo as the explorer and ONLY the really needing drivers like TS of xenark and lilliput, a usbtocom prog for the Gps and the standart used vga/board drivers(via/epia).

Maybe also a destiantor version can be installed automatically.

__________________________________________________ _____________

I am searching here for help, but when there is no need of this OS or nobody knows an answer, please delete this thread, because I dont know how to go on, so i am using xp at the moment.

OH: the link to Nano98
    http://www.etek.chalmers.se/~e8gus/nano98/

hmm do they make a nanoXP?
    [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

No chance to reduce the size and the boottime of xp like that, sry.

Please no questions about XP, its not possible, nano98 is the only way (maybe) to create a Frodo standalone solution.Maybe linux too.
      Other would be to big, and to difficult to install.

Comment

this .... coupled with the write protected drive chatted 'bout yesterday and before.. the following may be of intrest.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
        www.langa.com

Please no questions about XP, its not possible
        BAH!
        •Micke

Comment

I dont think i would want to use anything based on win95/98/ME no matter how small or fast it is. Plus any extra new hardware you add, you better hope they make drivers for win95/98 or your SOL.
          XP embeded would be a better route to go for faster boot times
          01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
          01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
          mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

yeah.. i think XPE and some live CD technology could yield some interesting results
            •Micke

Comment

OKOK,

before talking on like "ohoh, xp would be so wonderfull......"

When we reduce Xp to a filesize of 100m(the smallest we can get) all the funktions you expected of XP are LOST. No usb Hdd support, no themes, no tools.
              The only differences between a 10mb 98 and a 100mb XP are:
              -the SIZE (NO 32mb Card support)
              - XP is kernel based, so there is a smaller possibillity of a bluescreen, but a nano98 dont answer a bad question with a bluescreen, i tried. Its very stable

So please please, only say something abot Xp, when you really used a small version of it. I DID !!

Comment

Where did this 100m limit come from?
                I could care less if it's 100m or 300m. If it could be written as XPE to a non.writable partion and used to enhance boot time.. then so be it.

I'm not prepared to lose vital functionality to make a few seconds on boot time.
                •Micke

Comment

Keep discussing. I'm listening. Let this be the thread for the ideas. (Don't use this as a thread to sneak in feature requests)
                  [H]4 Life
                  My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                  It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                  I'm a lesbian too.
                  I am for hire!

Comment

How compatible is Frodoplayer with 98? I thought I remembered some issues? Maybe I am thinking of one of the other Front Ends?
                    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

MADD props to Fodo and his player.. but it is not the 'raison d'ętre'. My car pc will be required to run other applications. Applications that will require today's technology in the form of hardware and Operating System.
                      •Micke

Comment

Originally posted by gospeed.racer
                        How compatible is Frodoplayer with 98? I thought I remembered some issues? Maybe I am thinking of one of the other Front Ends?
                        I don't honestly know.
                        [H]4 Life
                        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                        I'm a lesbian too.
                        I am for hire!

Comment

I think the main requirement would be Windows Media Player 9.
                          [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

plus the .net framework, and there are pleanty of other dependancies
                            Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

I think the start point should be win2k for further improvements of frodoplayer in the further

the mini pwin98 (chinese version) is about 11M in size now BUT it do NOT have IE and internet surport included!

Comment

Working...
                              X