Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes I searched, can I use an external harddrive to hold all my songs and videos?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes I searched, can I use an external harddrive to hold all my songs and videos?

I was going to buy an external hard drive, so I could bring it inside and add to it. They have some that are USB, which I bet is slow, but I know there are firewire ones that would be better. Can I set frodoplayer up to use that as my database? I did search, and couldn't find anything to help. Or is my option to just get a big harddrive, and then just use a jump drive or external drive to move everything over.
    thanks,
    Kenny
    Round VIII - [IIIIIIIIII] 30% Have some parts for 300zx Sema car I don't own yet. Will have 10.4" & 7" screen, and more then you can believe. Will add updates to cleancustoms.com, will be sweet. My car is still same, but might change.

You'd need to sync the databases. Better idea: put Frodo on that HD and sync the DB at home.
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

you need to spend a LOT more for external HD.

For the money a internal 100gig hd cost, you can only get a 50 gig external. Not to mention they draw more power.

I say get the interal and buy 2 wireless adapters and hook them up via ad-hoc (ad-hoc simply means your just connecting the 2 adapter together, rather than connecting them to a router). The just update your playlist wirelessy thru frodo player sync, thats what i do.

I have a wireless adapter in my room and one in my car that is parked outside in the driveway and I am able to get 3 out of 5 bars signal strength. Its transfers the songs fine.

But yes, external would work, but i think it costs too much, draws too much power, and just is to big for a carputer.
      My Carputer Project

Comment

YOu know, I couldnt' get a good answer on what the hell the sync function did in Frodoplayer, so I removed the button on my skin. lol I thought about it some more, and I was thinking about just getting a 160 gig for $90 on ebay. And if I really wanted to, and if there wasn't that sync, I could just get me one of those cheap USB external harddrives to transfer data. But once I fill it up, I won't need to do it again, I can use my jump drive if I really need it. Damn, that is what sync meant, now I have to put the button back in.

Round VIII - [IIIIIIIIII] 30% Have some parts for 300zx Sema car I don't own yet. Will have 10.4" & 7" screen, and more then you can believe. Will add updates to cleancustoms.com, will be sweet. My car is still same, but might change.

Comment

Why don't you press the sync button and see what comes up.
          [H]4 Life
          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
          I'm a lesbian too.
          I am for hire!

Comment

I don't know about FrodoPlayer, but in MediaEngine you just have to tell it the directory in which the media is stored, and update the database when you change something. In my case, it's "X:\Media", which is on a 250GB external FireWire drive (USB2.0 is almost as fast as FireWire, I think).

Since I'm sort of in a perpetual state of downloading and re-tagging old MP3s, every once in a while I just re-write over my external drive with whatever's current on my home machine, since after renaming files syncing wouldn't work properly. Takes about a minute per gig over FireWire.

I don't understand what nappy is talking about regarding prices on internal/external drives. Internal and external drives are the same, you just gotta spend about $30 on an external enclosure. It's the same 3.5" IDE drive either way (or 2.5", if you're using laptop drives, of which I also have one external). As far as drawing more power, that will depend on how you power it. If you splice the external enclosure's power onto your Opus or whatever, it will use about the same amount of power as an internal(plus the power of the enclosure's fan, if it has one). You just gotta make sure the power supply can support it. Alternately, you could wire it directly to the car's power with 12V and 5V regulators (and an on/off switch or relay). Mine uses a little bit more because I use the AC power adapter and an inverter, so I have the same power efficiency as anything going 12VDC->120VAC->12/5VDC.

I currently use a 40GB USB laptop drive to transfer/temporarily store stuff that I don't need in the van permanently (mostly downloaded interviews and documentaries), but that stuff's usually played in regular WMP (since the frontends don't have sliders for me to skip commercials), or if I just need to move a new movie or cartoon into the van, and I can use it with any computer with USB (what if your buddy has a video or song you want, and doesn't have WiFi? Or if you want to watch/listen to something on a different machine). It's also just great as portable storage for any kind of files/media (it serves as one of my redundant storage locations for software install files), and I keep a redundant copy of my music library on it too (at least a fair portion of it), so I can listen to it on my work laptop, which only has a 20GB drive.

I'd say the bottom line is that external drives offer a lot more versatility than internal. And of course you can still use the sync function with it if you'd like.
            95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
            ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

Working...
            X