Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Thumb Drive Thought

I was thinking,

sometimes when I get new music, I put it on cd as mp3's and just put that in my cd player of my carputer. So frodoplayer reads the cd and plays them just fine, that way I dont have to copy them to the machine and do the whole database rebuild thing.

but I was thinking is there any way I could use a USB thumb drive in the place of the CD, so when you insert the thumb drive, frodoplayer would read it just like it does the files from the cd?
    肚子笑痛了
    S60 Install

I just tested this and it works fine. What I did was:

1.copy mp3's to usb flash drive
    2.change frodoplayer.ini CD_DRIVE= (whatever drive letter your usb key usually comes up as)

and voila.

but then you can't play music cd's off the cd-rom drive anymore unless you want to switch back and forth or something.

maybe someone else can figure that one out

Comment

hrm, well thats a beginning, makes it easier that burning cds
      肚子笑痛了
      S60 Install

Comment

you set up frodo to use a fake drive, like for example k:

and then make two batch files to be executed as external programs, with the command

Subst k: d:\

and

Subst k: e:\

Where k: it's frodos fake drive, d: its your cdrom drive and e: is your usb drive

Didn't try it, but think could work.
        Ikea Case. Epia M10000.M1-ATX. 512 Mb. 2,5" 80 GB HDD. 7" Lilliput. BU-303 GPS. Sony Joystick.
        Status -->
        Lilliput Installed (not indash yet..)
        BraveCar 2.5

Comment

try that as well
          肚子笑痛了
          S60 Install

Comment

What about putting a permanent autorun file on your thumbdrive that executes that as a BAT command file... and saving all your mp3 cds with a similar batch file for the opposite... that way:

Insert MP3 CD, Windows' autorun will subst the cd-drive to the frodo drive
            Insert Thumbdrive, autorun will subst the thumb drive to frodo...

You'd probably need to keep the 2 files on CD/Thumbdrive forever, but it better than having to run it from another source...
            Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
            Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bravellir
              you set up frodo to use a fake drive, like for example k:

and then make two batch files to be executed as external programs, with the command

Subst k: d:\

and

Subst k: e:\

Where k: it's frodos fake drive, d: its your cdrom drive and e: is your usb drive

Didn't try it, but think could work.
              I tested it and this does work.

You need to make two batch files like he said. In each batch file put:
              -----------------------
              @echo off

subst w: /D

Subst w: g:\
              ------------------------

Where w: is your dummy drive letter, and g: is whatever drive letter your cd-rom is, or what your usb key will come up as(usually the next available drive letter).

You have to have the "subst w: /D" to delete the old substitute settings in case you are switching back and forth.

You then just add the two batch files as external applications to launch under applications in frodoplayer.

You may also want to look around at the different ways of running the batch file minimized so it doesn't pop up on the screen. There are a few ways of doing it.

Comment

Have you tried autostart? I think that would be more efficient/effective... no need to run anything, just pop in the appropriate media...

I think you can have a bat run minimized, just create a shortcut for it and I think there is run-minimizes setting for the shortcut...
                Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Or in frodo's next release he could just add another drive to read from such as pen drive
                  CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Originally posted by RoyN
                    Have you tried autostart? I think that would be more efficient/effective... no need to run anything, just pop in the appropriate media...

I think you can have a bat run minimized, just create a shortcut for it and I think there is run-minimizes setting for the shortcut...
                    This should also work, but someone is going to have to do some more digging. There are registry settings you can change to say what drive types autorun will launch on. I tried modifying it quick with Tweak UI but had no luck.

I confirmed that my autorun.inf worked on an iso loaded as a virutal cd drive though.

Good Luck!

Comment

Not to thread hi-jack etc but I've just posted an app I've written to copy all data off USB Media.

MP3Car thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44537

Comment

it works, nice

The autostart ideia is very good, but in the long run, I think that the perfect solution would be for the frontends to support several removable media.
                        Ikea Case. Epia M10000.M1-ATX. 512 Mb. 2,5" 80 GB HDD. 7" Lilliput. BU-303 GPS. Sony Joystick.
                        Status -->
                        Lilliput Installed (not indash yet..)
                        BraveCar 2.5

Comment

yeah the batch files are a great idea, but it would be much simpler if the frontend would support it
                          肚子笑痛了
                          S60 Install

Comment

Working...
                          X