Roll your own front end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll your own front end

I've come across a very interesting app. During this infinitely long time waiting for an update of a front end that will work for me, I've been using FrodoSatX and iGuidance and just toggling them with the windows taskbar. I just saw a demo for an app called Objectdock and now I'm wondering if I could I just use this to control my carpc (at least until I get a solid frontend app running)? It's available as freeware at http://www.stardock.com/products/obj...ide/index.html

First, check out the streaming demo at
    http://www.stardock.com/video/aug2004/sdtv_odplus.wmv then think about having retractable menus that bring up the mp3,dvd,gps,xm,etc apps you use. Might have some possibilities?
    Epia-M II M10000 Nehemiah WinXP sp2 Travla C134 case Carnetix 1260 power Xenarc 700TS XM Direct Toslink Extigy USB 5.1 Garmin GPS18 Linksys 802.11g wireless Nokia 6230 Bluetooth Memphis Amps Focal Speakers Frontend: RoadRunner

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ght=Objectdock
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by wysocki
      (at least until I get a solid frontend app running)?
      Have you tried RoadRunner?
      Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
      Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
      Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Comment

I was a big fan of MediaCar until it stopped production. I was so ****ed that I hold a lingering grudge against RR. I suppose I should lighten up and look at it again if there's serious work being done on it.
        Epia-M II M10000 Nehemiah WinXP sp2 Travla C134 case Carnetix 1260 power Xenarc 700TS XM Direct Toslink Extigy USB 5.1 Garmin GPS18 Linksys 802.11g wireless Nokia 6230 Bluetooth Memphis Amps Focal Speakers Frontend: RoadRunner

Comment

RoadRunner is not Media Car It started as a clone of Media Car because Media Car stopped being developed. It's evolving into so much more than just a clone though. I'm not sure why you'd hold a grudge against RR when RR came into being for the same reason you got ****ed at MediaCar!

Comment

P.S. I haven't looked back since I installed RR. All other frontends I was playing with were gone from my system within a week.

Comment

I was a big fan of MediaCar until it stopped production. I was so ****ed that I hold a lingering grudge against RR. I suppose I should lighten up and look at it again if there's serious work being done on it.
              why? It wasn't guino's fault that development stopped on MC. If it wasn't for guino you wouldn't have something that is mediacar but better. If anything you should be kissing his ***.
              In fact, that last comment goes for anyone who develops software / hardward on this forum.
              Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Road Runner is totally different from MediaCar. Its faster. More features. Open source. The list goes on....

Plus its got NaviVoice support
                PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                GammaControl v2.4
                SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Thanks, Arathranar, for turning me on to RR again! I see that it now supports xm, phoco, gps and a bunch of other things that I was wishing for. It's really come a long way from MC and it looks like work is progressing on it quickly. I'll be installing it tonight for a thorough checkout but I won't be kissing guino's *** (unless he's actually an 18 year old blonde female!)

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                    Plus its got NaviVoice support
                    Nice shameless plug
                    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Originally posted by meddler
                      Nice shameless plug
                      Exactly

BTW: wysocki.. who's that on your avatar?
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Exactly

BTW: wysocki.. who's that on your avatar?
                        Your age is showing again. That is the professor from Gilligan's Island. He could make a carputer out of some coconuts and sand.
                        7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                        ATVMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by sfay93
                          Your age is showing again. That is the professor from Gilligan's Island. He could make a carputer out of some coconuts and sand.
                          I've heard of the show though. Never watched it
                          GammaControl v2.4
                          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I've heard of the show though. Never watched it
                            You've GOT to be kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyM
                              You've GOT to be kidding!