Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how can I check to make sure my XM is receiving data?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can I check to make sure my XM is receiving data?

I have run into a weird issue with my XM-direct... it used to work perfectly.. but I have de-activated it for a while while I had no carpc.. and now when I use frodoXM... I am not getting any signal or music from it...

I have made sure I am on channel 1.. the preview channel... but the antenna signal indicators are not even showing.. I have also doublechecked to make sure that the COM port is set correctly.. and that my XM-direct is getting power through its cable...

I know there is some way to test it using hyperterminal.. but for some reason my search skills are gone today.. and I cannot find it..

Help please!!!
    Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

How are you powering the XM device? Is your XM antenna outside or near a window (just being sure and ruling out that you are in LOS of the satellite signal).

In hyperterminal, you should be able to open the com port that the XM direct is on. Set it to 9600/8/N/1 no flow control and hit enter in the terminal window. You should see binary data if you are getting something from the com port.

Comment

Antenna is fine and has a clear view..(its on the roof).. and I have already double checked the power to it... thanks for the hyperterminal tips.. I will check it out asap
      Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

as a follow-up (a month later ), does one need a subscription to just test it out or should I already be getting data out of the preview channel?

I'm having trouble setting up my xm as well.

Comment

You should get the Preview channel (XM 1)

Comment

you will get data... in hyperterminal its doesnt know what channel you are trying to listen to

also if it is setup correctly you will hear music previes on channel 1

Comment

Originally posted by tmar89 View Post
              You should get the Preview channel (XM 1)
              I get the preview channel as well as 2 other channels...I believe a Sports & Emergency...
              Lexus SC400
              Subaru WRX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by ACleanSC4 View Post
                I get the preview channel as well as 2 other channels...I believe a Sports & Emergency...
                That means your XM receiver is working but you haven't registered your XM device yet.

Comment

Working...
                X