This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LinuxICE Testing

I'll be publishing livecd images of periodic development snapshots here.

As of now, they are pre-alpha and are NOT guaranteed to work. DO NOT INSTALL THIS ON A PRODUCTION MACHINE!

If you do want to help in the testing, download, load it up and see if it supports/sees your hardware. We are experimenting with different kernel builds and patches so any feedback on hardware support would be great.

Please, if you don't have much experience with Linux, wait until the final version.

Don't report bugs at this point either. when it goes beta, then we'll want your feedback on bugs. Right now, more stuff doesn't work than does.

thanks!
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

YES! I'll be trying this before the weekend on an old Pentium 3 or 4, can't remember what it is.
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Right now (for the pre-alpha) the goal is to get the livecd to boot to a prompt (not the initramfs prompt, but the real bash shell). If you want to try it and give your thumbs up/down (works/doesn't) work, we'd appreciate it.

Comment

Might have time tonight. Will let you know if I do.
        Ampie Case
        256 MB DDR2 PC5400
        M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

downing LinuxICE2-2009-05-14.iso atm.

Comment

booted to prompt!

Comment

Originally posted by Crinos View Post
              booted to prompt!
              yay! Now for the fun stuff (packages/configuration)...

Comment

I also testing LinuxICE2-2009-05-14.iso and got down to the command line. The only issue is that you get an error saying that the mount point /tmp doesn't exit.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Crinos View Post
                  downing LinuxICE2-2009-05-14.iso atm.
                  Downloaded it last night but spent too much time compiling heyu to deal with it once it finished.
                  Ampie Case
                  256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                  M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

hmm... not sure why /tmp wouldn't mount. It's definitely there...

Comment

I got the same when I booted in virtual console, but not when I booted from CD...

Comment

Latest image now has X installed. You should be able to startx and do absolutely nothing after that :P.

Comment

Hey Kev000 I had the idea of setting up the alpha iso as torrents. Are you hosting all of them from home? I was getting 80kb/s and thought as a torrent we'd all get the releases faster since we'd be helping out with our bandwidth and that would help progress quicker if there are issues.

Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by LifeForce4 View Post
                            Hey Kev000 I had the idea of setting up the alpha iso as torrents. Are you hosting all of them from home? I was getting 80kb/s and thought as a torrent we'd all get the releases faster since we'd be helping out with our bandwidth and that would help progress quicker if there are issues.

Kyle
                            It may not be worth creating torrents for in the pre-alpha stage. But once we get Alpha1 - Beta and the final, it makes a lot of sense.

The server is being graciously provided by Tidder at the moment. We plan on making it also a torrent seeder when the need arises. I'm planning on doing the same when I get home from vacation and get my server up.

Comment

packages

I've started building packages that will be built into linuxice2. These are found at http://linuxice.openice.org/packages. Note that some of these are mainly for testing and may not be stable or completely full-featured.

Hopefully we'll be able to build a repo from these packages.

The latest image has a tuxonice kernel, X, and matchbox. X nor matchbox autostarts yet. We are going to need ndm for that...

Comment

Working...
                              X