nGhost 2.0.2 on Ubuntu 9.0.4 - 'make' issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nGhost 2.0.2 on Ubuntu 9.0.4 - 'make' issue

Ok, as the title states I am installing nGhost on Ubuntu 9.0.4 and am having some issues. After running through the library install (libnghost) and installing all dependencies and packages I finally got it to configure, make and install. Then I went on to nGhost itself, it configured fine, but when I run make I get the following error:

Code:
    [email protected]:/home/god/nGhost_Stuff/nghost2-2.0.2# sudo make
    make  all-recursive
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/god/nGhost_Stuff/nghost2-2.0.2'
    Making all in src
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/god/nGhost_Stuff/nghost2-2.0.2/src'
    Making all in nscan
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/god/nGhost_Stuff/nghost2-2.0.2/src/nscan'
    g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../..    -Wall -Werror -I/usr/include/taglib -DPLUGIN_DIR=\"/usr/local/lib/nghost\" -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/SDL -I/usr/local/include/nghost   -I/usr/local/include/nghost   -I/usr/local/include/nghost -I/usr/local/include/nghost -I/usr/include/taglib   -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/local/include/nghost -I/usr/include/SDL   -g -O2 -MT nscan-nscan.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/nscan-nscan.Tpo -c -o nscan-nscan.o `test -f 'nscan.cpp' || echo './'`nscan.cpp
    cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
    nscan.cpp: In function ‘void daemonize()’:
    nscan.cpp:320: error: ignoring return value of ‘int dup(int)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    nscan.cpp:321: error: ignoring return value of ‘int dup(int)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    make[3]: *** [nscan-nscan.o] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/god/nGhost_Stuff/nghost2-2.0.2/src/nscan'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/god/nGhost_Stuff/nghost2-2.0.2/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/god/nGhost_Stuff/nghost2-2.0.2'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    [email protected]:/home/god/nGhost_Stuff/nghost2-2.0.2#
    I have tried everything I can think of but this is too generic of an error to find on Google. I received the same message when I ran make on the libraries, but I found that it was because I wasn't root and upon sudo'ing the command it worked fine. As you can see in this situation I am already root, so I'm lost. I really wanted to get this fixed before I left today but I guess it will have to wait until Monday.

Anyway, any ideas?

Oh yeah, the good news is this was posted from my carputer, so at least I am getting SOMEWHERE!

Comment

Download nghost from svn. The svn code has been updated to compile against the newer GCC versions (plus you get more cool features).
      Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
      Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
      Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Hey Kev - Thanks for the response - I did that...still the same problem. Could you post the code to DL it in case I got it wrong?

Comment

Anyone else got advice on this? I'm not sure what I need to do...I thought I did what Kev has suggested.

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm very new to Linux in general and so I have no clue what to do. Hoping someone can help shed some light on this.

Comment

Do the following:

Code:
              sudo apt-get install subversion

svn checkout https://nghost.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/nghost/libnghost libnghost
              svn checkout https://nghost.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/nghost/nghost2 nghost2

cd libnghost

./autogen.sh
              ./configure
              make
              sudo make install

cd ..
              cd nghost2/
              ./autogen.sh
              ./configure
              make
              sudo make install

Comment

I have downloaded and run the install from subversion but there are a couple things in the code I did differently. I will try that on Monday. If I run these commands over the current install, will they overwrite any issues or do I need to somehow uninstall the current stuff I've done?

Thanks a ton!

Comment

yeah, uninstalling any existing is a good idea. It may not matter though if you install to the same dir... the new stuff should overwrite the old stuff.

Comment

ok, so I'll try that, one stupid question though...how do you "uninstall" something in Linux? I'm very new to it!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePistonDoctor View Post
                      ok, so I'll try that, one stupid question though...how do you "uninstall" something in Linux? I'm very new to it!
                      sudo make uninstall

Comment

i had the same problem and i found a solution that finaly worked.Go to
                        http://linuxice.openice.org/packages/ end download the two packages.install them and you will fine.

Comment

ugh, so I've done the code up above now and downloaded both from SVN...I uninstalled everything first and now when I run nGhost's configure I'm getting an error saying the nghostcore package requirement was not met. I searched through Synaptic and couldn't find anything...then googled and found a couple responses saying i need to have libnghost installed...which I just did 3 seconds ago. WTF!!

Can I just sudo apt-get this package from somewhere?

Comment

scratch that, helps if I run make install on libnghost lol...so, now what? I got it up and running. I guess now I just need to know what to do with it...lol

Edit: so I got it to boot up on startup so it's pretty much up and running now. I can click on Internet and it pops open mozilla, etc etc but I noticed there is a blank button in the lower right but if I click on it, it's functional and the three buttons it takes me to show some engine disgnostics, weather, and something else I forgot. It says, however, that most of those plugins are not installed. Is this an in development thing? It seems pretty buggy...as when I go into the settings I can't always get the back button to work and stuff like that. Is there a stable version of this or something? I'm using v. 2.0.2...not sure if I should be using a different version. Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePistonDoctor View Post
                              scratch that, helps if I run make install on libnghost lol...so, now what? I got it up and running. I guess now I just need to know what to do with it...lol

Edit: so I got it to boot up on startup so it's pretty much up and running now. I can click on Internet and it pops open mozilla, etc etc but I noticed there is a blank button in the lower right but if I click on it, it's functional and the three buttons it takes me to show some engine disgnostics, weather, and something else I forgot. It says, however, that most of those plugins are not installed. Is this an in development thing? It seems pretty buggy...as when I go into the settings I can't always get the back button to work and stuff like that. Is there a stable version of this or something? I'm using v. 2.0.2...not sure if I should be using a different version. Thanks!!!
                              Use one of the packages from http://linuxice.openice.org/packages they are much more updated than 2.0.2. Note, these are prerelease packages, but they should be stable enough. Or, there is always SVN. I haven't heard any similar reports from any other users using the latest.

Comment

Working...
                              X