What is LinuxICE?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is LinuxICE?

I was reading the site and reading here and trying to figure what it is. It seems to me that LinuxICE is a OS and the nghost is the desktop theme?

will nghost run ubuntu? i want to test it on my desktop to see how it works and i have ubuntu 9.04 right now
    2009 Volkswagon Tiguan
    Custom Built Carpc, Only way to go

Linuxice is a distro of linux based off ubuntu targeting the mobile environment. nghost compiles and runs perfectly fine on a regular ubuntu install.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

i will keep playing with it. when i download and try to run the deb file it says a dependency is missing. i think i might be trying to install the wrong files.
      2009 Volkswagon Tiguan

Comment

Yes it does have a rather long dependency list. Usually just watching the output you can get a good idea what it needs, and install appropriately.
        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
        RevFE
        My Shop

Comment

do yo have a link to something i can read or where the list is.
          2009 Volkswagon Tiguan

Comment

the neat thing about debian packages is that they handle the deps automatically. The only package nghost requires that isn't in the standard ubuntu repository is libnghost which you can also get from the same place you got the nghost package. BTW, I recommend the packages in linuxice.openice.org/packages/testing.

BTW, other good references:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/linu...-linuxice.html

http://wiki.openice.org/index.php?ti..._dependancies:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/linu...linuxice2.html
            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
              Yes it does have a rather long dependency list. Usually just watching the output you can get a good idea what it needs, and install appropriately.

yep, nghost has about 11 hard deps plus all the deps that come with those deps. More if you enable other plugins... It will usually add about 20mb of stuff to a minimalist install of ubuntu. However, it's still lighter than depending on a bulkier toolkits like Gtk or Qt.

LinuxICE, which is very minimalist is about ~300mb with a full X11 environment, networking, packagemanagement, and nghost.

nghost3's deps list will be shorter, but heavier as it requires glib stuff and Qt.

Comment

the link above says internal server error. i will read the other links and see how far i get
                2009 Volkswagon Tiguan

Comment

Originally posted by brianteel View Post
                  the link above says internal server error. i will read the other links and see how far i get
                  which link? They all work for me...

Comment

they all work i was doing something wrong. after it is installed where do i find it too launch it.
                    2009 Volkswagon Tiguan

Comment

Originally posted by brianteel View Post
                      they all work i was doing something wrong. after it is installed where do i find it too launch it.
                      you may have an nghost entry under "Apps->sound and video". or just type nghost at the command line. If you want nghost to scan first, type nscan before you launch nghost.

Comment

Working...
                      X