Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LinuxICE2 Beta1 is out!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LinuxICE2 Beta1 is out!

    Beta1 is out! This release fixes many of the bugs found in the alpha and should be a lot more manageable.

    Release announcement:
    http://forums.openice.org/viewtopic....8&p=3621#p3621

    Remember, this is not considered stable or error free. DON'T INSTALL THIS ON A PRODUCTION MACHINE... at least with any expectation that you won't have to tweak something/fix something to get it to work. LinuxICE2 final will be released sometime in September.

    Download it, fire it up on your machine, play around, and report any bugs to http://bugs.openice.org .
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

  • #2
    Looking good! Probably the fastest growing linux front end, thanks to you dedications.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'll have to check it out.
      Tidder

      Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.


      I Wish I could ban people

      Comment


      • #4
        If you are guys are digging LinuxICE, you guys are gonna love Drivn. Drivn will be based on the OpenICE technologies that we are devving right now.

        Comment


        • #5
          Does it 'hibernate'??

          Edit: Ahhh...it does! I'm getting interested now!

          Comment


          • #6
            How capable is linuxIce off a usb stick? My vision for the future carpc would be all on a usb stick. Bring it inside and modify configuration on another computer then bring it out and have it run off my carpc. This way, its easy to reconfigure, better environment tolerant, and cheap too!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Punky View Post
              How capable is linuxIce off a usb stick? My vision for the future carpc would be all on a usb stick. Bring it inside and modify configuration on another computer then bring it out and have it run off my carpc. This way, its easy to reconfigure, better environment tolerant, and cheap too!
              n2o_2k used this kind of setup at the meet in Baltimore a week or so ago. It's called a live-persistant USB. Ubuntu has a utility that you can use to install a compatible ISO image onto a usb stick. You can use that usb stick and boot LinuxICE on any machine from a usb stick.

              The only downside is that it has to do full hardware detection and driver loading every time you boot. This adds a little bit of time to the boot process.

              Here are a few links on how to do it:

              http://www.techyard.net/create-ubunt...-live-creator/
              http://www.pendrivelinux.com/live-ub...stall-windows/
              http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-9893.html
              Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
              Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
              Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have done usb persistence install of ubuntu many times, successfully.
                I can see the same done with linuxice. Is it possible to hack the OS to trigger the full hardware detection only on user command (similar to pressing f8 to go to safemode)?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Punky View Post
                  I have done usb persistence install of ubuntu many times, successfully.
                  I can see the same done with linuxice. Is it possible to hack the OS to trigger the full hardware detection only on user command (similar to pressing f8 to go to safemode)?
                  I'm not sure what trouble you've run into creating it with LinuxICE. I've specifically added the hooks to the builds to allow it to take place. Also, I know n2o_2k has done it so I know it's possible. Maybe we can get him to share his secrets...
                  Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                  Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                  Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Punky View Post
                    I have done usb persistence install of ubuntu many times, successfully.
                    I can see the same done with linuxice. Is it possible to hack the OS to trigger the full hardware detection only on user command (similar to pressing f8 to go to safemode)?
                    You might be able to accomplish that by passing the appropriate kernel/installer parameters at boot or even your own if you have a script that can understand it.

                    Creating a persistent usb isn't really difficult. You will need 2 partition, one for the live cd data and the other is where your changes will resides. The key thing in creating the second partition is that you need to make sure you label that partition.

                    I will try to post the step I took when created mine using the script isotousb.sh and gparted on a 1gb usb stick.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If I posted this somewhere already, then, I'm sorry.

                      Wanted to pass this a long (dunno if you consider it a bug or not). I booted LinuxICE2 beta1, went to the file manager, clicked on the "Install" icon to do an install to HD. Went through the standard Ubuntu install screens and selected the "automatic login" option. Booting from HD ends at a text console login. After login at the text console, X starts up.

                      I wasn't sure if you intended for this to be a standard install method.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hi guys,
                        just found your project a few days ago, when searching for a way not to infiltrate my network with a windows machine even if i connect my (future) car pc via wifi, wich actualy is that old notebook im just posting from (standard ubuntu jaunty right now)
                        i downloaded linuxICE2 beta1 via my serverside torrent client (wich is now seeding the file 24/7) and installed for dual booting on this machine. everything went fine as far as i could see and it went even better than my first try as a vbox install at work today.
                        but: the reason why im on the standard ubuntu to post here is, that my wifi connection doesnt work on linux ice (worked on the standard ubuntu out of the box, just plug in, enter wpa pass and go) so i started the network manager and entered the data there, but that didnt connect me either.so i went to the terminal and wanted to configure it there, but i recognized that wireless tools isnt installed, which brought me to my next problem: i cannot access "cd repositories" since even if the inserted cd gets mounted properly, its not recognized by the sources manager. (internet connection worked fine in vbox-install from same cd, just to tell)
                        these were my 2 mayor problems i was faced with so far. Im not really shure if i messed something up myself but i dont think so right now, cause everything went fine without any error while installing.. even autologin works great.
                        now i've got some 'pleases'
                        first: switch navits default gui to "internal" that would be much more touchscreen friendly (take a look at the great skin "minique 003" [or similar], wich would fit great into the ng-style (i'd provide you with versions for different screen resolutions of that skin if you want))
                        and second: since im not native english (some might have figured that out till here ) i'd really love to see onscreen keyboard that fits the settings i made while install (german layout in my case) (dunno if there are onscreen keyboard applications that are capable of that) thats one of the problems i was faced with navit ever since im using it too, i cannot enter valid german streetnames (some cities fail too) because of the missing entities on the keyboard.

                        well, i think i complained enough, i have to say that this is really a great project and im looking forward to see its evolution (and a working setup in my car ). Just go on, your way seems to be the right to achieve the goals you defined.

                        I'd be very pleased for some help to get my wifi to work.

                        ah, theres one question left.. what would the centered button on the ng desktop do thats hidden behind the ice panel and just shinig over it a little (too little to click and try out)

                        yes and a click on yes to the question if i want to shutdown nghost shouldnt leave me with an empty screen just showing a now nearly useless rest of icepanel, i guess it would be very usefull to give the user the ability to define whether to hibernate or shutdown by that action (but i guess the fact it works like it does right now is one of the small reasons why this is a beta version, right?)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by karh4ck3r View Post
                          If I posted this somewhere already, then, I'm sorry.

                          Wanted to pass this a long (dunno if you consider it a bug or not). I booted LinuxICE2 beta1, went to the file manager, clicked on the "Install" icon to do an install to HD. Went through the standard Ubuntu install screens and selected the "automatic login" option. Booting from HD ends at a text console login. After login at the text console, X starts up.

                          I wasn't sure if you intended for this to be a standard install method.
                          Run Ice configure post-install. It'll setup autologin. Also, you may have to do an apt-get dist-upgrade and the server is currently down.... arggg.

                          I'll see about getting the server back up.
                          Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                          Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                          Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sir_Mc_Tod View Post
                            Hi guys,
                            just found your project a few days ago, when searching for a way not to infiltrate my network with a windows machine even if i connect my (future) car pc via wifi, wich actualy is that old notebook im just posting from (standard ubuntu jaunty right now)
                            i downloaded linuxICE2 beta1 via my serverside torrent client (wich is now seeding the file 24/7) and installed for dual booting on this machine. everything went fine as far as i could see and it went even better than my first try as a vbox install at work today.
                            but: the reason why im on the standard ubuntu to post here is, that my wifi connection doesnt work on linux ice (worked on the standard ubuntu out of the box, just plug in, enter wpa pass and go) so i started the network manager and entered the data there, but that didnt connect me either.so i went to the terminal and wanted to configure it there, but i recognized that wireless tools isnt installed, which brought me to my next problem: i cannot access "cd repositories" since even if the inserted cd gets mounted properly, its not recognized by the sources manager. (internet connection worked fine in vbox-install from same cd, just to tell)
                            these were my 2 mayor problems i was faced with so far. Im not really shure if i messed something up myself but i dont think so right now, cause everything went fine without any error while installing.. even autologin works great.
                            now i've got some 'pleases'
                            first: switch navits default gui to "internal" that would be much more touchscreen friendly (take a look at the great skin "minique 003" [or similar], wich would fit great into the ng-style (i'd provide you with versions for different screen resolutions of that skin if you want))
                            and second: since im not native english (some might have figured that out till here ) i'd really love to see onscreen keyboard that fits the settings i made while install (german layout in my case) (dunno if there are onscreen keyboard applications that are capable of that) thats one of the problems i was faced with navit ever since im using it too, i cannot enter valid german streetnames (some cities fail too) because of the missing entities on the keyboard.

                            well, i think i complained enough, i have to say that this is really a great project and im looking forward to see its evolution (and a working setup in my car ). Just go on, your way seems to be the right to achieve the goals you defined.

                            I'd be very pleased for some help to get my wifi to work.

                            ah, theres one question left.. what would the centered button on the ng desktop do thats hidden behind the ice panel and just shinig over it a little (too little to click and try out)

                            yes and a click on yes to the question if i want to shutdown nghost shouldnt leave me with an empty screen just showing a now nearly useless rest of icepanel, i guess it would be very usefull to give the user the ability to define whether to hibernate or shutdown by that action (but i guess the fact it works like it does right now is one of the small reasons why this is a beta version, right?)
                            Thanks for the feedback and for seeding! For navit, there's a bug to provide a proper config. If you can get me your properly config'd navit.xml file, I'd be happy to include it in the package. Wifi is not even on the marker for LinuxICE2. What I did in my setup was install gnome-panel with nm-applet. This got things working for me. We are looking at solutions for LinuxICE3 for wifi though, so stay tuned. Onscreen keyboard layout is an issue. If you come up with a solution let me know. Myself and the others will do our best to fix the current bugs.
                            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kev000 View Post
                              Thanks for the feedback and for seeding! For navit, there's a bug to provide a proper config. If you can get me your properly config'd navit.xml file, I'd be happy to include it in the package. Wifi is not even on the marker for LinuxICE2. What I did in my setup was install gnome-panel with nm-applet. This got things working for me. We are looking at solutions for LinuxICE3 for wifi though, so stay tuned. Onscreen keyboard layout is an issue. If you come up with a solution let me know. Myself and the others will do our best to fix the current bugs.
                              thanks for your quick reply , just thought, because i read that som of the guys have wifi running that it was something that already has been included, well i guess i'll connect it to e wired line and get wireless tools and wifi-radar to configure it by myself.

                              i'm gonna extract my navit configuration from one of my machines as soon as i integrated the skin i told of into main configuration (right now its just in ~/.navit, wich makes it complicated to share to a broad crowd, because of the hardcodet path's in navit.xml) maybe i'll find a way to automatically choose the right sized skin for a given screen resolution too, i'll try. about onscreen keyboard, im gonna keep my eyes open for that, an you'll be one of the first to know if i found a proper solution.
                              keep going
                              thanks for your great work

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X