ELO Touchscreen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELO Touchscreen

I have installed LinuxIce2 on a system with w 15" ELO Touchscreen and when I ran ICETouch I was prompted to input which type of input the screen was using and I entered "3" for usb. When the terminal closed nothing really changed and I get a warning during restart that there is "no usb event touch controller found". Also if I rerun ICETouch I see a properties screen for egalax which has usb with a big red "X" strike through. The touchscreen does work when I touch the screen it responds. unfortunately when I touch the lower left, the mouse is moved to the upper right!

Running "gksudo calibrator" resulted in an awkward 30 second silence then a return to the the prompt?

Is the egaglax appropriate for the ELO? I am making this with a 15" screen and the ELO screens can be had for a song on ebay.

Thanks

I spent some time researching this and found the xorg-evtouch and installed it. I have the screen working, sort of..

I have the correct orientation now, but the MinX, Y and MaxX, Y values are not yet correct. should I remove the eGalax or ICETouch to minimize conflicts.

Comment

Originally posted by govee View Post
      I spent some time researching this and found the xorg-evtouch and installed it. I have the screen working, sort of..

I have the correct orientation now, but the MinX, Y and MaxX, Y values are not yet correct. should I remove the eGalax or ICETouch to minimize conflicts.
      Yes, remove ice-egalax. There should also be a calibration application that comes with xorg-evtouch. I have no idea where it is in the Apps menu though :-S.
      Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
      Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
      Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

I got it working, but it wasn't easy (for me).

I found the below information about the movement from xorg.conf to hal. The writer also had a useful bit of xml code I borrowed (modified as necessary) and it works. The only issue I have now is the calibration is off after every restart. I have to unplug the usb cable and reconnect it to get the calibration correct.

1) install xserver-xorg-input-evtouch (I used synaptic package manager ... universe repository enabled)

2) lshal | grep input.product
        make note of the name of your touchscreen when it comes up (mine was "3M 3M Touchscreen - EX II", it could also be "MicroTouch Systems, Inc. MicroTouch USB Touchscreen - EX II" if it's a 3M, and I think this will work with just about any other brand USB touchscreen too. evtouch is the driver to use if you have an USB touchscreen.)

3) Create the file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/touchscreen.fdi containing the following:
        Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
        <deviceinfo version="0.2">
        <device>
        <match key="input.product" contains="3M 3M Touchscreen - EX II">
        <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">evtouch</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MinX" type="string">14200</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxX" type="string">2160</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MinY" type="string">2580</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxY" type="string">13800</merge>
        </match>
        </device>
        </deviceinfo>

Notice the "<match key=" statement contains the value obtained in Step 2.

Step 4: Unplug and plug back in the touchscreen. It should now work, no need to restart X! Didn't even need to recalibrate - it's right on.

Note: After installing evtouch, "System->Administration->Calibrate Touchscreen" appears. Using this tool (at least for this particular chipset) results in an inverted X-axis. Don't touch it.
        1) install xserver-xorg-input-evtouch (I used synaptic package manager ... universe repository enabled)

2) lshal | grep input.product
        make note of the name of your touchscreen when it comes up (mine was "3M 3M Touchscreen - EX II", it could also be "MicroTouch Systems, Inc. MicroTouch USB Touchscreen - EX II" if it's a 3M, and I think this will work with just about any other brand USB touchscreen too. evtouch is the driver to use if you have an USB touchscreen.)

3) Create the file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/touchscreen.fdi containing the following:
        Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
        <deviceinfo version="0.2">
        <device>
        <match key="input.product" contains="3M 3M Touchscreen - EX II">
        <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">evtouch</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MinX" type="string">14200</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxX" type="string">2160</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MinY" type="string">2580</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxY" type="string">13800</merge>
        </match>
        </device>
        </deviceinfo>

Notice the "<match key=" statement contains the value obtained in Step 2.

Step 4: Unplug and plug back in the touchscreen. It should now work, no need to restart X! Didn't even need to recalibrate - it's right on.

Note: After installing evtouch, "System->Administration->Calibrate Touchscreen" appears. Using this tool (at least for this particular chipset) results in an inverted X-axis. Don't touch it.

Comment

Working...
        X