Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How exactly do I upgrade my LinuxICE2 install to 9.10 safely?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How exactly do I upgrade my LinuxICE2 install to 9.10 safely?

I am thinking about upgrading to 9.10, but only if it can be done without messing anything up. Took me a long time to get my install working properly(especially the usplash...as you already know)!!!!!
    Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
    Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

Originally posted by locs4dayz View Post
    I am thinking about upgrading to 9.10, but only if it can be done without messing anything up. Took me a long time to get my install working properly(especially the usplash...as you already know)!!!!!
    The only thing you will need to do after upgrading is add "exec icegetty" to the end of /etc/init/tty1.conf instead of the "exec getty..." line that is there.
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
      The only thing you will need to do after upgrading is add "exec icegetty" to the end of /etc/init/tty1.conf instead of the "exec getty..." line that is there.

What are the upgrade steps????? How do I proceed????
      Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
      Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

Comment

replace all instances of "jaunty" with "karmic" in your /etc/apt/sources.list.

then sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

there are numerous articles on how to upgrade ubuntu on the internet. Don't forget to do the icegetty step above after you are done.

Comment

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
          so when upgrading i take it this step isn't needed because the file doesnt exist? there is a tty1 file in the /etc/event.d/ folder but the end contains "exec /sbin/icegetty". I'm upgrading at the moment in hopes to work out my equalizer issue.

Comment

well after upgrading i now have an issue. xorg wont load and it is telling me that agpart is not loaded or something. any fixes for this? google just brings up people trying to disable it.

Comment

what graphics card?

Comment

in short, intel.

Integrated with the new dual-
                core Intel® AtomTM processor D510:
                Features an integrated graphics core
                (Intel® GMA 3150) with graphics
                performance improvements.

its an Intel D510MO motherboard.

Comment

i have fixed it. i am thinking my upgrade went bad as i did what this post has directed. what i did was install "update-manager" and ran "update-manager -d" from the console. the update box came up and it will let you upgrade to 9.10. do it again and you can update to 10.04. i might try that later, but we will see. i am going to try to see if i can get everything working with 9.10, if not ill update to 10.04 and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by superman279 View Post
                    i have fixed it. i am thinking my upgrade went bad as i did what this post has directed. what i did was install "update-manager" and ran "update-manager -d" from the console. the update box came up and it will let you upgrade to 9.10. do it again and you can update to 10.04. i might try that later, but we will see. i am going to try to see if i can get everything working with 9.10, if not ill update to 10.04 and try again.
                    10.04 should improve boot time. But 9.10 should also. I think you'll have better luck with the touchscreen using 9.10 though.

Good luck and let us know how well it works out.

Comment

on a side note, what exactly does an upgrade from 9.10 do to my installation? im still kind of new to linux but have really only messed with ubuntu for less than a year. im trying to understand what an upgrade really is and what a kernel does. does the kernel upgrade as well when you upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by superman279 View Post
                        on a side note, what exactly does an upgrade from 9.10 do to my installation? im still kind of new to linux but have really only messed with ubuntu for less than a year. im trying to understand what an upgrade really is and what a kernel does. does the kernel upgrade as well when you upgrade?
                        It'll upgrade all the packages/drivers/apps on your system. And yes, you will get a newer kernel and the 9.10 kernel doesn't have the uber hibernate patches that the LinuxICE2 kernel does. Generally, I update to get working drivers for certain things. For example, the wifi driver on my ION board was broken in the LinuxICE2 kernel, but fixed in the 9.10. Or I upgrade to take advantage of a new package or package version introduced in the new release.

Oh, also to note is the 9.10 totally screws with obd-ii and gps serial drivers. Its pretty bad so I wouldn't stay on 9.10. If it weren't for the need to use the nouveau nvidia driver in 10.04, i'd be on stock LinuxICE. Plus 10.04 has the right Qt version and other deps for MeeGo stuff...

Comment

hmm, i havent checked to see if my gps receiver works yet. have to check it out today, ill post back. how stable is 10.04 with linuxice right now? my desktop and laptop seem to run great with it, not sure how much different linuxice would be.

Comment

so 9.10 seems to be the best bet right now for distro's. i updated to 10.04 to see if my equalizer would start working, it didn't. navit crashes, touchscreen loves the upper-left hand corner (lilliput 7") and wifi has gone mad. i am going to do a re-install and leave it at 9.10 and try to work out my issues there. I really only wanted an eq to work, everything was great!

Comment

Figured out what wrong with navit...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...it/+bug/590424

There's even a solution stated there. However, there are dependencies for nghost listed when trying to remove navit.

Is there a way to remove navit without touching nghost? I know rpm has "no-deps", is there something similar for apt-get?

Comment

Working...
                              X