Sound not working!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound not working!?!

My sound is not working, even though pulse audio shows it as actively working....and using the slider has no effect. It just goes back to the mute state....help.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
    Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

Did you check analog vs digital sources?

Comment

Originally posted by nasa View Post
      Did you check analog vs digital sources?
      Yes...still no sound. Kinda defeats the purpose of the carpc. Hope I can fix this somehow. Re-installation is not an option(takes too long to get everything back the way I want it). Other than that and the power issue, I'm happy with my install. My indash bezel/PC fabrication is now perfect. Posting this reply from the carpc right now. I can use Garmin PC for navigation(most likely will...can set destinations easily and the interface is nice). Need sound for music and movies mostly.

Any more ideas?????

Comment

You'll need to tell us a little more about your problem for us to help (I suck at 20 questions). Here's some commands whose output would be useful:

cat /proc/asound/version
        lspci -v | grep audio
        aplay -l
        uname -r

Also run alsamixer (if installed, don't remember if it is)

Comment

also make sure you've got speakers plugged into the right port and that the speakers are on/powered. I know it sounds stupid, but I've been bitten more than once by the simple things .
          Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
          Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
          Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

i had this issue when i installed the equalizer. one thing you need to check is that there is an audio server up and running.

Comment

one thing I've noticed [and not solved yet] occasionally when I boot pulse only loads a "virtual" output device [in the pulse device manager] the "VU meter" shows that there is sound going to it but of course there's no output.

but after a reboot the physical output device is back and sound returns!

not sure if that's what you're seeing. but its one more thing to check

good luck
              MobileThree: in car - Zotac Atom/ION - linuxICE 2.0.2
              --worklog--

Comment

You'll need to tell us a little more about your problem for us to help (I suck at 20 questions). Here's some commands whose output would be useful:

cat /proc/asound/version
                lspci -v | grep audio
                aplay -l
                uname -r

Also run alsamixer (if installed, don't remember if it is)
                Ran the commands...here is the output....

[email protected]:/home/chrysler300m# cat /proc/asound/version
                Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18rc3.
                [email protected]:/home/chrysler300m# lspci -v | grep audio
                00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
                [email protected]:/home/chrysler300m# aplay -l
                **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
                card 0: V8235 [VIA 8235], device 0: VIA 8235 [VIA 8235]
                Subdevices: 4/4
                Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
                Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
                Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
                card 0: V8235 [VIA 8235], device 1: VIA 8235 [VIA 8235]
                Subdevices: 1/1
                Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                [email protected]:/home/chrysler300m# uname -r
                2.6.28-17-linuxice2
                [email protected]:/home/chrysler300m#

Comment

So what did alsamixer reveal (if installed)?

Comment

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                    also make sure you've got speakers plugged into the right port and that the speakers are on/powered. I know it sounds stupid, but I've been bitten more than once by the simple things .

You are right about that. Common sense tells you to make sure speakers are hooked up. How do you think I discovered I had no more sound in the first place. Worked fine before. Why is it so hard to get everything working at the same time in Linux? No wonder Microsoft is so laxed and doesn't feel threatened by Linux...they know most people don't have the time to be tinkering with the OS forever cause they got work to do, and would rather pay for the convenience of a working OS. Sure you may have to install drivers, but when you do rarely do they affect other stuff thats already working. I have re-installed windows on several machines, and always was back up and running with all my programs re-installed by the end of the day with no problems. I have installed several Linux flavors on several machines, and not one of them has ever been completely running problem free. Heck, I've been working on this install for at least 4 months, and even though I'm close, I have yet to get everything working correctly at the same time. I get one thing that was broke fixed, then something that wasn't breaks. Aggravating!!!! Seems like I will never get this thing in the car cause I just can't make it off the bench problem free.

Excuse me for ranting, but I'm really just getting tired of fooling with Linux...Maybe I should stick to what I know works...ya know!!!!

The only reason I want a Linux system in the car is cause I don't want to have to deal with viruses, plus anti-virus software sucks up a lot of resources(which is limited on the car PC, which is nowhere as powerful as my desktop). If not for that, I would never even considered a Linux system. All "Windows" in the house(and we have 7 PC's), all maintained by me...all running excellent!

Comment

So what did alsamixer reveal (if installed)?
                      Nothing I didn't already know. I did, however notice that the alsa mixer service is not started(no check in the box). For some reason I am unable to change the setting(not being given the option to unlock the services to check the box...the button is there but not accessible...help). I think this may be my problem.

Tried to get in from terminal...here is the output.....

[email protected]:/home/chrysler300m# services-admin

** (services-admin:6768): CRITICAL **: Unable to lookup session information for process '6768'
                      [email protected]:/home/chrysler300m# services-admin

** (services-admin:6771): CRITICAL **: Unable to lookup session information for process '6771'
                      [email protected]:/home/chrysler300m#

Comment

Sorry I didn't ask this earlier, what souce does the pulseaudio control app show? The app I am referring too has multiple tabs... (Sorry at work, so can't see it firsthand)

Note: see this post for example of app I am talking about: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...95&postcount=6

Comment

Sorry I didn't ask this earlier, what source does the pulse audio control app show? The app I am referring too has multiple tabs... (Sorry at work, so can't see it firsthand)

Note: see this post for example of app I am talking about: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...95&postcount=6
                          Everything is turned all the way up and not muted....

I believe the problem is the system sounds service is not started, but can't access services to start it(only the help button works...go figure) cause the unlock button is not active so I can't get in to change the setting(once again something that worked before not working).

Comment

What 'source' is showing on the pulseaudio control panel? (1st tab I believe). Sorry to harp on this -- just want to make sure this isn't the source of the problem...

Comment

What 'source' is showing on the pulseaudio control panel? (1st tab I believe). Sorry to harp on this -- just want to make sure this isn't the source of the problem...

Sinks
                              combined Simultaneous output to Via 8235-Via 8235
                              alsa_output.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_playba ck_0 Via 8235-Via 8235

Sources
                              combined.monitor Monitor Source of Simultaneous output to Via 8235-Via 8235
                              alsa_output.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_playba ck_0 Monitor of Via 8235-Via 8235
                              alsa_output.pci_1106_3059_sound_card_0_alsa_captur e_0 Via 8235-Via 8235

My sound card IS detected and IS shown as working when playing music...but no sound is being produced to my speakers. My previous post I believe is the problem. How do I get the services unlock button to let me in so I can start system sounds????

Comment

Working...
                              X