nGhost Media Center Beta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nGhost Media Center Beta

After nearly 9 months of work, I'm happy to release the first nGhost Media Center Beta. It will hopefully be available for download and testing next week. Here is a short video clip:

nghost effects video
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Not bad, not bad at all. Keep up the good work!
    We are, will have and forever will be...
    But not tommorrow!

Comment

nGhost Media Center Beta

nGhost Media Center Beta is ready for download.

Download Site

Comment

Updated nGhost 0.94

nGhost has a new version released. The next version I'll work on dynamic skinning abilities, so if anyone is interested in making a cool skin here is what you'll need to know:

Skinning Howto

Here is the other relevant links:
        Download | Version Notes

thanks
        -kev

Comment

can't seem to get it to install. What do i need to do?
          1998 Camaro Worklog Starting over, New setup for 2010

Comment

Is there an error message when you try to run it?
            There is a howto in the nanonymous forum but here is the rundown:

1) make sure you have all the dependencies:
            libsdl libsdl-image libsdlttf
            2) Make sure you have mysql 5.0 server and client
            3) Install apache, php5, php5-mysql and the libapache-mod-php5 libraries.

Are there enough dependancies yet???

4)copy the ~/nghost/options folder to your web server directory (usually /var/www or something like that).

5) Run nghost in a terminal: ./nghost

That should be it, if you have any more problems a report in the nanonymous forum would be most relevant. I realize that nghost can be a PITA to install. If anyone has any ideas on how we can make this easier to install let me know. I'm open to help.

Thanks

-kev

Comment

hey kev,

the software looks real promising!
              until now i was using myth but it's still not very touchscreen-oriented (especially music-browsing sucks with a ts)

running the binary from ubuntu dapper (glibc 3.5) gets you a GLIBC_2.4 not found (must be running edgy for the binary).

then i tried to get the current source but only got the one from 2006-12-17 (still quite recent..) - is there a svn/cvs repo i could check out?

compiling wasn't clean on dapper: i had to edit the libtag-inclusions to <libtag/foo.h> (that's quite debianish )
              and comment out the SDL_putenv() line in gui.cpp (where should this be defined or am i missing a header? libsdl1.2-dev is installed [update: also libsdl-ttf2.0-dev and libsdl-image1.2-dev])

for test purposes i didn't want to install apache,php,mysql...
              i created a fake /usr/bin/php which returns 0

then i got the gui working =) and.. i'm impressed

Comment

For those who want to try the bleeding edge nghost, i've set up a SVN repository for the source at https://nghost.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/nghost

-kev

Comment

could you allow Anonymous checkout please or credentials?

thanks for the effort!

Comment

Fixed

Comment

new nghost release

nghost has a new beta release: 0.94.2. This is the best version of nghost ever. Many new code changes and improvements have been included in this version. nghost now has:

-support for mysql and sqlite (compile option)
                      -customizable shortcut tabs.
                      -new streamlined options.conf file
                      -better skinning abilities

nghost's code has undergone many awesome changes and a new framework has been built in for future features.

Download

happy testing.

Comment

i'm not entirely finished with the sqlite port, the PHP scripts are still on my disk awaiting comitment before i commit (one file left..i'll see if i can do it in the next hour)
                        for those comfortable with svn, check it out (with 'svn log -r head' you can see if i already put it in -> if the description says something about it it's good) - you'll just need to replace the files from the option directory with the new ones, no recompiling needed since PHP is interpreted on the fly (you'll need php5-sqlite though)

Comment

all right it's in svn rev. 10 - didn't get much time testing though..
                          for sqlite usage you'll need to uncomment (remove doubleslash) the 2nd line in options/update-streams.php

enjoy

[update:]
                          since rev. 12, there's no need to uncomment anything at all, php is now aware of which db-type you're using (rev. 10 had other bugs.. happens when you don't test things: shame on me

Comment

I like to try nGhost, but I don't know anything about linux. How can I get start it? What flavor of lightweight linux OS you guys recommend? I have a tiny adanvtech PC (Pentium 233, 128Mb of ram, 1GB of compact flash drive). Will this box meet the mininuium system requirement?

Comment

I like to try nGhost, but I don't know anything about linux. How can I get start it? What flavor of lightweight linux OS you guys recommend? I have a tiny adanvtech PC (Pentium 233, 128Mb of ram, 1GB of compact flash drive). Will this box meet the mininuium system requirement?
                              I've never tested nghost on anything slower than 600MHz (via C3, which is kinda slow when compared to similar AMD and Pentium CPUs) so I don't know how it would run. In theory, it shouldn't be too slow. You can download nghost here. I would try DSL Linux. I would play around with it for a while to get used to the differences from windows. Practice installing packages, maybe compile some stuff from scratch. before you know your answering questions in forums for people new to Linux. Woe, de-ja-vu...

The binary executable for nghost was compiled in ubuntu 6.10 and ubuntu dapper so I don't know how it will run in DSL. There is also a mysql binary and a sqlite binary. The sqlite one will be best for DSL. If anything, after you get good you will be able to compile from source and everything will be great.

[edit: there are also several lightweight ubuntu linux distros out there: search for fluxbuntu, pud linux, etc.]

cheers,
                              kev

Comment

Working...
                              X