Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alphabetize playlists?

Hey,

I created a playlist in ME, but it's not alphabetically sorted. Is there a way to get ME to sort it?

I also tried creating a playlist in Winamp, and just having ME open it, but ME says that there are no valid files int he playlist.

thanks

birrman54

When you save a playlist with Winamp, it stores the absolute paths of all included files (ie. D:\My Music\DJ Tiesto\Nyana.mp3 ). I'm not completely sure, but doesn't Media Engine require all MP3s to be in the sub-folder of the application itself? If my guess is true, then that would be your problem.
    '03 Acura TL PC FINISHED!!
    MP3CAR

Comment

Originally posted by FiSKARZ
      When you save a playlist with Winamp, it stores the absolute paths of all included files (ie. D:\My Music\DJ Tiesto\Nyana.mp3 ). I'm not completely sure, but doesn't Media Engine require all MP3s to be in the sub-folder of the application itself? If my guess is true, then that would be your problem.
      no, it opens the mp3s fine from their current folder (it just asks you to define which folder the mp3s are stored). Does the playlist have to be in the same folder as the mp3s?

birrman54

Comment

Originally posted by Birrman54
        no, it opens the mp3s fine from their current folder (it just asks you to define which folder the mp3s are stored). Does the playlist have to be in the same folder as the mp3s?

birrman54
        OK I don't have ME installed, but my guess is that Media Engine doesn't recognize playlists that contain absolute paths to the music files. Putting the playlist in the same folder as the music will not change the references within the file. Try experimenting this below with 5-10 of your songs:

1) Place 5 MP3 songs in a temporary sub folder easy to find.

2) Open Winamp, clear any songs, and in the playlist, click on FILE--ADD FOLDER
        (add the folder you created with the 5 MP3s)

3) Sort the playlist using the MISC button. Save the playlist (within Winamp) in the same folder as the music.

4) In windows explorer, find the newly created playlist (m3u), rename it to a TXT file, open the TXT up in notepad.

5) You will find the paths to each of your songs, remove everything before the filename itself (ie. edit C:\Music\Aerosmith\Crazy.mp3 to Crazy.mp3)
        (do this for all songs in the file)

6) Open up ME, specify your temporary folder as your MP3 folder, load the playlist from within ME, see if that works

Sorry for all the steps...If this doesn't work, Media Engine and Winamp might store/read playlists in different formats. In that case, repeat steps 1-4 above, but instead of creating and saving the playlist in WINAMP, use MEDIA ENGINE instead (and a different filename so you can easily distinguish). Now you should have two TXT files (from renaming the playlist saved by both winamp and media engine). Open up both TXT files, and compare them side-by-side

....post your results, hope this helps
        MP3CAR

Comment

The Media Engine playlist is a *.m3u and looks like this:

C:\Mp3s\Mp3s G - L\Ginuwine\Baby Ginuwine - Hell Yeah.mp3
          C:\Mp3s\Mp3s G - L\Ginuwine\Ginuwine - So Anxious.mp3
          C:\Mp3s\Mp3s G - L\Ginuwine\Ginuwine - What's So Different!.mp3
          Winamp's *.m3u looks like this:

#EXTINF:0,3 Doors Down - Kryptonite.mp3
          Mp3s A - F\3 Doors Down\3 Doors Down - Kryptonite.mp3
          #EXTINF:0,311 - You Wouldn't Believe.mp3
          Mp3s A - F\311\311 - From Chaos\311 - You Wouldn't Believe.mp3
          thanks

birrman54

Comment

Ah, so they use different formats.

I created a playlist in ME, but it's not alphabetically sorted. Is there a way to get ME to sort it?
            Are you saying the order is completely randomized, or is it sorted by song TITLE or something else? (I'm assuming that you would want your MP3s sorted alphabetically by artist)

The Media Engine playlist is a *.m3u and looks like this:

C:\Mp3s\Mp3s G - L\Ginuwine\Baby Ginuwine - Hell Yeah.mp3
            C:\Mp3s\Mp3s G - L\Ginuwine\Ginuwine - So Anxious.mp3
            C:\Mp3s\Mp3s G - L\Ginuwine\Ginuwine - What's So Different!.mp3
            If that is the ONLY thing inside the .m3u file, there are (non-music) programs that can generate filenames, or indexes and neatly store them in .TXT files identical to the format that you posted (the one ME uses). People who have private FTP servers usually use programs like this so they can display/catalog a list of their programs/music/games in a single small file. You would need a program that can not only generate the list, but sort the list based on attributes you choose. Take the generated TXT file, and rename it to .M3U and you're all set in ME...

An alternative to the above would be to change the directory structure of your music. For example, I have my music categorized by artist, and every .MP3 file I have is in the format "Artist - Title.mp3". Each artist has its own subfolder, and complete albums by a single artist have another child folder within the arist's folder...probably a pain in the @ss to rename all your stuff, but would work as a last resort. Only use this method if Media Engine DOES use some sort of formula to sort files, because if it just scrambles up your MP3 filenames, re-organizing your music collection wont help a bit...
            MP3CAR

Comment

try this

check out this program and see if that helps.....30-day trial:

http://download.com.com/3000-2141-10...ml?tag=lst-2-1
              MP3CAR

Comment

Ah, so they use different formats.

Are you saying the order is completely randomized, or is it sorted by song TITLE or something else? (I'm assuming that you would want your MP3s sorted alphabetically by artist)

If that is the ONLY thing inside the .m3u file, there are (non-music) programs that can generate filenames, or indexes and neatly store them in .TXT files identical to the format that you posted (the one ME uses). People who have private FTP servers usually use programs like this so they can display/catalog a list of their programs/music/games in a single small file. You would need a program that can not only generate the list, but sort the list based on attributes you choose. Take the generated TXT file, and rename it to .M3U and you're all set in ME...

An alternative to the above would be to change the directory structure of your music. For example, I have my music categorized by artist, and every .MP3 file I have is in the format "Artist - Title.mp3". Each artist has its own subfolder, and complete albums by a single artist have another child folder within the arist's folder...probably a pain in the @ss to rename all your stuff, but would work as a last resort. Only use this method if Media Engine DOES use some sort of formula to sort files, because if it just scrambles up your MP3 filenames, re-organizing your music collection wont help a bit...
                The playlist is sorted in the order that each file was added. Any song added to the playlist is automatically dumped at the end. Yes, I'd prefer sorted by Artist.

All my files are in the format Artist - Title.mp3, and most artists have their own folder (people with only a song or two don't). The problem is that I dont' want to have a playlist of the 5000 or so songs, but instead a playlist of maybe 600 of my favorites.

birrman54

Comment

well I just wrote a simple java program that takes the list of paths and sorts them alphabetically, then I just copied that back into the playlist. So now they're sorted by filename, not by tag info. I guess it's good enough for now.

birrman54

Comment

So now they're sorted by filename, not by tag info. I guess it's good enough for now.

birrman54
                    If your files are in the format "Artist - Title.mp3" then it should be sorting by artist, like you wanted....That's what you ultimately wanted right? Or are you looking for a better way to do this?

In my search for "music management" software, I pulled up Helium2 version 1.7, which lets you generate playlists in a variety of formats. You can even specify how long (in minutes) you want the playlist, and it will find tracks to meet that exact mark. Additionally, you can randomize music to different playlists (by beats per minute, genre, year...etc). I'm sure a program like this can output a ME "friendly" .M3U file.
                    MP3CAR

Comment

If your files are in the format "Artist - Title.mp3" then it should be sorting by artist, like you wanted....That's what you ultimately wanted right? Or are you looking for a better way to do this?

In my search for "music management" software, I pulled up Helium2 version 1.7, which lets you generate playlists in a variety of formats. You can even specify how long (in minutes) you want the playlist, and it will find tracks to meet that exact mark. Additionally, you can randomize music to different playlists (by beats per minute, genre, year...etc). I'm sure a program like this can output a ME "friendly" .M3U file.
                      I'll check it out.

It is doing basically what i wanted, but some of them aren't named properly.

birrman54

Comment

I'll check it out.

It is doing basically what i wanted, but some of them aren't named properly.

birrman54
                        Some programs can rename the filename based on what's in the tag (Helium2 mentioned above).
                        MP3CAR

Comment

Working...
                        X