Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest possible boot up time

High guys,

im running Win XP Pro thru an VIA EPIA 800 with 1024mb RAM, is pretty rapid in the OS but is there any way i canreduce the boot up time, i tried using ME as the shell but didnt really change much.

any help much appreciated,

On2

disable everything you dont need... make sure you configre the bios correctly..
    most of the boot up is just loading drivers.. and you cant do too much about that..

Comment

Use hibernate and reduce your ram to something more reasonable like 512mb. I get 45s boot time and 24s from hibernate, 15 of which is from the BIOS starting.
      StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
      Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
      The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Reduce RAM?? why? Cantuse Hibernate as i use ITPS power which stops my battery going flat.

Jrich523, most disabled, isthere anyway i canbin the XP splash and welcome screens?

Comment

You can use Hibernation. Thats the point of it, the computer needs no power to sustain it, its all written to the hard drive. You are thinking "Suspend" that uses power.

Comment

I only meant to suggest to reduce RAM if your using hibernate, which, as t00h0t suggested, will not draw any power at all.
            StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
            Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
            The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

When I put my unit into hibernation (not suspend) the blue light on the front flashes rapidly and the fans keep going? If I pull the power during hibernation the unit will boot the regular way when power is resorted and the power switch is pressed.

Is there anything I have to set in the bios to get hibernation to be as you say, no power consumption?

Originally posted by t00h0t
              You can use Hibernation. Thats the point of it, the computer needs no power to sustain it, its all written to the hard drive. You are thinking "Suspend" that uses power.
              .//Daren
              (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
              MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

Comment

the splash screens dont do much.. but a lot of the logging in part is your profile and networking.. so if you arent using any networking disable all that stuff and slim down the profile (desktop icons, images, etc etc)
                Im guessing you have no choice in the video drivers but those make a huge difference.. i use to have a boot tool that would tell you how much time was spent where.. and i recall video taking a good chunk of time..
                really the more basic your hardware is the faster it will boot.. i havent done much with this stuff yet but im guessing with all the USB hardware and laptop stuff used this could get weird.. and long.. but you should be able to get a 30 second boot off these boards i would think..

also one thing you can play with is the pagefile.. im not sure what effect this has on boot time.. but i would think some.. actually.. probably a lot...
                try 3 different settings...
                0 page file (may not let you but make it as small as possible)
                then do 1036 and then do something silly like 3GB..

considering you have 1GB of ram.. zeroing out the page file sound make a HUGE difference (in theory) the slowest part of your system is pretty much always the HDD.. so the less it writes to it the better.. if you have no page file and just use ram than you should see a good increase in speed.. but.. im working on theory here... give it a try..

Comment

Goto www.blackviper.com and follow his super tweaks page..

works wonders and he really knows his stuff.
                  -Jack
                  2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
                  Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

Comment

www.diskeeper.com
                    get the demo of that.. its 30 days.. you should only need it once you get the system all setup
                    do a normal defrag.. and then do a boot time.. its the boot time defrag that will speed the system up.. after that uninstall it.. no need for it.. when you add and remove mp3's or what not... just run the normal defrag every now and then..
                    as far as the page file goes, i didnt mention before.. make it static.. NEVER let windows manage it.. it will fragment the hell out of it..

Comment

Page file??

whats all that about?

thanks for clearing up the hibernation / suspend issues will try that and BLack Vipers stuff all looks like a barrell of laughs so ill plough thru that aswell!!

nice one peep's!

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazie2
                        Goto www.blackviper.com and follow his super tweaks page..

works wonders and he really knows his stuff.
                        Just don't read his AMD vs Intel 2 article. That is trash. Other than that, not a bad resource.

Comment

To answer your question Page file is basically virtual ram. windows uses it to supliment the systems physical ram while running some/all programes Its what makes your harddrive chatter while the system is sitting on the desk top doing nothing.

Not using a page file can seriously slow down the system ( not always though ) so try ity and se if it works for you.

Best thing you can do is fix the ammount of space windows uses for a page file.
                          Normally give it arround at least half of the ammount of actual ram you have, i.e if you have 1024 Mb of ram fitted make the page file 512 Mb. If you have your hard drive partioned into two or more drives then only let Windows have a page file on the drive that does not have the o.s installed on. You can get several tweaking programes that are freeware and or shareware that can be used to get the best from Windows. They are mostly ment to speed it up or customise the o.s but you can use then to kill certain stuff that is using up your valuble run time which could hopefully speed up the boot and running of Windows.

mobileh1 I have come accross some Mobos that do this when you put them into Hibernation the easyest solution I have had for this is to fit a switch ( mabe using a spare switch place on your dash ) to fit a switch to the +ve on the power to your computers power supply, That way when you send it to Hibernation once its there you can switch it off thus cutting the power to it and therefore not giving you a flat battery. If you set the bios to boot after power fail (some can some cant ) when you get back to your car you`d just have to turn the switch back to the on position and it would all boot up. Just an idea.

You could get really creative and put a timed power off circuit in there to automatically turn the power off for you after it goes in to hibernation. but thats getting technical.

Comment

Originally posted by Big EFF
                            You could get really creative and put a timed power off circuit in there to automatically turn the power off for you after it goes in to hibernation. but thats getting technical.
                            An ITPS is the way to go if you are on a budget. 35 bucks gets you an automated button push to start the computer and also to tell it to hibernate, plus it cuts the power after the PC has shutdown. I use mine for my screen and PC and it takes about 16 seconds from the time I turn the key to the time music is playing. No manual intervention required.
                            Don't Fear The Gurkey
                            Click here to check out My Setup

Comment

16seconds from power up to music? wow that's pretty fast. i'm at about 30seconds myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X