Looks like the time has come to find another frontend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like the time has come to find another frontend

I was stoked about ME when I first started using it. Then the shiny goodness started wearing off. I loved the remote, I use it all the time. I like the 2.3 version and it fixed something that ****ed me off for a long time. The only thing that has really been holding me back from going elsewhere is the remote controls. I use my Creative CIMR100 the entire time I am driving. It never leaves my hand. The thing that is totally kicking my *** is the inability to recurse directories. It's the only way I use ME. Since installing it with the EPIA and putting it in my new truck I can't, it crashes and I've got to pull off the road to kill ME and restart it (Ever tried to right click a tray icon while driving?) Only to do it again a day later. I've 'd till I'm nuts, there just isn't much info on my problems, I have logged well over 6 hours just trying to fix the recuse thing. I've been watching music video DVD's that I've made because going into sngle albums drives me nuts. What good is 10,000 songs when I can only listen to about 20 of them at a time. The newest ME beta release will not allow me to skin it with any skin, and I get stuck in a 5 minute ordeal of killing the app waiting for it to recover, to kill it again, to get the default skin crap to have it lock up again. Everything was perfectly fine with this app on my 2 giga p4, since going to the EPIA it's fallen appart. I think it is time to pay for Girder and just get it over with. Sorry ME, I'm going to find someone else.
    2K SVT Lightning, Some things and the usual truck pc, now with slot load dvd rom and ECM Data logging.
    05 Scion xA

More power to you brother.
    '01 Chevy Xtreme Stepside (pics)

FIC K7MNF-64 / Athlon 3200 | 256 DDR | 120 GB 7.2k WD
    WinXP Pro | MediaEngine | 12.1 VGA TFT Touch|Creative CIMR-100
    350w Vector | 320w mATX PS | Hellroaring BIC95150 | ButterflySDC

Comment

Seriously, what's up with this recurse directory problem? I never had the problem until I moved to the Epia. I'm still using it. Listening to one folder at a time, really sucks. It will attempt to recurse, then the ME goes away and the music and all controls go away. I have to kill ME. I think it might be Hardware at that. I picked up a WD 60 gig 2meg buffer 5400 rpm hd. Since then it dies when attempting to recurse. Driving me nuts, still. I thought I was moving on to another frontend but this is the only one that has most of the options I need/want. Nothing shows up in the debug log, not event viewer. I even did a fresh install of XP with all critical updates and SP1. The same Winamp engine launched outside of ME does recurse just fine. Nearly the identical machine minus the 2nd enabled serial port and diffferent hd's can recurse fine. I really miss being able to flip a 4000 song playlist with 2 clicks.

I was able to run Contrast 4.3 before with this same ME installer on another machine. This machine gives me skin errors with the 2.3 beta. I'm at a loss but have to keep using it as I'm more than confortable with it and the remote works hella easy. I'm at a loss. One other thing I noticedis if i open ME without a CD rom hooked up I can never specify a cd rom again. I had to go into the config file to force it to E:, after that it worked. The Auto player size or 800x600 (which is what I'm running) won't seem to stick on anything other than Auto. I'd almost think it was something with the display as I can see ME 'Busy" for about a second before it just goes away. If I could fix this recurse issue I'd be all set but it is just kicking my ***.
      2K SVT Lightning, Some things and the usual truck pc, now with slot load dvd rom and ECM Data logging.
      05 Scion xA

Comment

Seriously, "Looks like the time has come to find another frontend" as a thread subject, and "Sorry ME, I'm going to find someone else." sounds more like a plea to be flamed to death than a plea for help. We maintain / publish M/E as a hobby, and couldn't give two sh_ts whether you or anyone else uses it or not. Get a new attitude or disappear. Nuff said...

I'll look through the recursion code first thing monday and make sure there are error handlers in there, but I'm 99.9% sure there are. That means if you're not seeing something in debug.log then this is going to be really tough to track down. Out of curiosity, how much memory do you have in this setup?
        '01 Chevy Xtreme Stepside (pics)

FIC K7MNF-64 / Athlon 3200 | 256 DDR | 120 GB 7.2k WD
        WinXP Pro | MediaEngine | 12.1 VGA TFT Touch|Creative CIMR-100
        350w Vector | 320w mATX PS | Hellroaring BIC95150 | ButterflySDC

Comment

Originally posted by phat_bastard
          Seriously, "Looks like the time has come to find another frontend" as a thread subject, and "Sorry ME, I'm going to find someone else." sounds more like a plea to be flamed to death than a plea for help. We maintain / publish M/E as a hobby, and couldn't give two sh_ts whether you or anyone else uses it or not. Get a new attitude or disappear. Nuff said...

I'll look through the recursion code first thing monday and make sure there are error handlers in there, but I'm 99.9% sure there are. That means if you're not seeing something in debug.log then this is going to be really tough to track down. Out of curiosity, how much memory do you have in this setup?
          I thought I was going to find something else, but even after a year not much has developed by way of other front ends. I love the beta but since I ditched the 2 gig machine and gone to a Epia it's kicking my ***. I spend 2 hours on the road a day, of which I end up trying to recurse a directory (by not thinking) and having to try to kill ME and relaunch it on the freeway (with a stylus and the winamp tray icon). That's what is driving me nuts. Winamp is running but no window. Heres a break down of how i have it and had it

Old system: Iwill 845 p4 board with 2 gig Northwood, 256 megs of ddr, 80 gig Seagate 7200rpm 3.5 inch drive(running ata mode 5), using SB Live 24bit sound card, all running off a 400 watt inverter. Worked perfect. Skins everything. I fell in love with the new Beta abilities and the beta sealed the deal with me and ME. Xp Sp1, dx9c, Mp9, all music in 'Media folder' on d partition. The video was handled via 845g chipset onboard.

New system: (still ****ing me off) M1000, 60 gig 5400rpm WD 2.5 drive(2meg buffer, running ata mode 5), 512 megs Corsair DDr 266, 2.5 timing (6,3,3), Using SB Live 24bit sound card, DC powered via Itps and 200-v PS. XP SP1, DX9c, mp9, all music in 'Media' folder on d partition. All critial updates, drivers yada ya. What happens is ME will flash 'busy' for about 1/2 second then drop to the deaktop, music still playing, IR functions gone, can't launch a second instance. Now up until a few days ago when I stuck another 3 hours in the driveway into it I was able to double click the ME icon on the desktop and it would relaunch and recover. I made a change to it 'sorting directory based playlists by file name' and can no longer recover that way. m3u's were set to mp9 as the default player, I changed it to Winamp, should it be the ME exe?

Other system: (worked up until the M1000 blew up, different car)
          M1000, Samsung 8 meg buffer(running mode 5), 40gig, 5400 rpm hd, same corsair memory from above, XPsp1 all updates, same drivers as above. recurses fine. I didn't try swaping hd's as the m10000 just 'died' the day before I had the chance to see. This machine was using onboard ac97 audio.

Winamp from within the ME dir launched externally will recurse. The ID3 or name tagging takes a while but it does work. It almost looks like there is a time out where ME attempts to display the recursed dir names before they are loaded. really quite odd. I've checked logs, event log, the winamp ini, settings ini and anything i can see that might effect it, no luck. The odd part is the display size will not stick unless I manually edit the settings.ini. Otherwise it resets to auto. I'm only running 800x600 so I'd figure no problem there, I was just trying to force it to 800. Looked to me like the settings.ini might have been read only but that wasn't the case. I did use the reset.exe to attempt to clear it and start fresh but even when I first installed the app it flopped to the desktop when recursing. It doesn't matter if it is a folder with 2 songs or 4000 songs the client acts the same. Color depth doesn't matter either.

I'm pulling my hair out as it's not power related because the same thing happens when running off a 350 watt PS in my computer room. It looks to me like it is specificlly Winamp but I can't pin why. Externally it works fine. I don't know if you caught the other issues I'm having with the skins, only the ones supplied with the ME beta work with it. I had other skins working previously on the other systems, just not this one. Now all I get is a skin error using default. so no skin works for me other than torque. I could have swore all the previous skins worked in 2.3

Yes I'm long winded and a QA engineer so I've done a bit more than just had it disappear once and freak out. Total I have about 9 hours into trying to figure out why this one won't work. If you need something specific I can grab it as I'm only 30 seconds from it now. I had given up hope as all I could find on ME in thie Message board was from over a year ago. My bad for not treating this like my own software and giving some background before throwing stones.
          05 Scion xA

Comment

Working...
          X