A walkaround for external programs 'hiding' media engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A walkaround for external programs 'hiding' media engine

I have suffered a problem that I think a lot of people have. Basically if you try to run any external app which uses full screen (or any program which you don't/can't close using the media engine toolbar button) media engine won't reappear and has to be killed by ctr-alt-del and relaunched.
    This is my rather convoluted but working walkaround.

First you create a batch program which can be done by creating a text file with the below text in it and then renaming it with a .bat extension. In this example imagine i'm running ProgramX:

echo off
    call "C:\Program Files\ProgramX.exe"
    cls
    echo Please click on the X in the Media Engine toolbar
    :loopwait
    goto loopwait

Any programmer will know that intentionally creating an infinite loop (last two lines) is very bad practice and you can just use 'pause' instead but that asks the user to press any key which looks a bit silly when you have just told them to click the X and especially if you have no keyboard!

Once you have created this batch file, simply set that as the external app for Media Engine and it will use the batch file (not the executable which it calls) as the app. This means that once you exit the 'real' program the batch file will resume and media engine can close it and will then return to normal!
    VIA M10000
    512Mb RAM
    30Gb 2.5" HDD
    Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
    Silverstone USB DAC
    Consult (ODB)
    CarTFT K500
    Carnetix P1290
    NLited XP with Road Runner and MapMonkey

Interesting approach. Have you noticed any performance implications because of the infinite loop?

Comment

Originally posted by shotgunefx
      Might be better to call it from a C,Perl, whatever program to get some real sleep. I would think that's going to suck up a lot of CPU time.

On the other hand, some googling turned up this which looks promising.
      Yeah, like threading, you could yield the process with the sleep command in your infinite loop and see if that provides better CPU usage.

Comment

Originally posted by tmar89
        Interesting approach. Have you noticed any performance implications because of the infinite loop?
        Well I only use it as a way to ensure ME doesn't get 'lost' and since I always close the program straight away, there have been no problems. Really there is no reason to have the loop running for more than a couple of seconds anyway cos you are done with the program and want ME back
        VIA M10000
        512Mb RAM
        30Gb 2.5" HDD
        Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
        Silverstone USB DAC
        Consult (ODB)
        CarTFT K500
        Carnetix P1290

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lake
          I have suffered a problem that I think a lot of people have. Basically if you try to run any external app which uses full screen (or any program which you don't/can't close using the media engine toolbar button) media engine won't reappear and has to be killed by ctr-alt-del and relaunched.
          I'd be interested to know a) what version of MediaEngine you're using, and b) what applications you're unable to close.
          '01 Chevy Xtreme Stepside (pics)

FIC K7MNF-64 / Athlon 3200 | 256 DDR | 120 GB 7.2k WD
          WinXP Pro | MediaEngine | 12.1 VGA TFT Touch|Creative CIMR-100
          350w Vector | 320w mATX PS | Hellroaring BIC95150 | ButterflySDC

Comment

I have the latest version (2.3.2) and the programs that won't close are games which run in full screen. Because you can't see the media engine mini bar you cannot close the program using it. When you close the program from it's own exit/close option, ME doesn't appear and has to be forced closed and then re-opened. Just by way of example ScummVM (playing sam & max and monkey island) and Bookworm Deluxe are two I have had this problem with.
            VIA M10000
            512Mb RAM
            30Gb 2.5" HDD
            Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
            Silverstone USB DAC
            Consult (ODB)
            CarTFT K500
            Carnetix P1290

Comment

I'm going to send you a link to try the latest test build - I think it will resolve this issue for you. Using a hard loop in a batch file is just a really ugly kludge.

Comment

I tried it but have the same issue. The program I used was Bookworm Deluxe, a PopCap game
                VIA M10000
                512Mb RAM
                30Gb 2.5" HDD
                Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
                Silverstone USB DAC
                Consult (ODB)
                CarTFT K500
                Carnetix P1290

Comment

I've tried bookworm and I don't seem to have any problems with it. Are you sure you're using the 2.3.3 executable?

Comment

Yeah, it opens ok but when I exit the game, media engine is gone but is listed in task manager and I can't get back into it without forcing it closed from there. I am using the build you sent me, so yes 2.3.3
                    VIA M10000
                    512Mb RAM
                    30Gb 2.5" HDD
                    Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
                    Silverstone USB DAC
                    Consult (ODB)
                    CarTFT K500
                    Carnetix P1290

Comment

I wish I had more ideas for you. Are you doing anything special to make bookworm fullscreen, cus it seems like it's a fixed size for me.

Comment

It's bookworm deluxe (the downloadable one) which runs as a full screen game not the classic one that runs in a window
                        VIA M10000
                        512Mb RAM
                        30Gb 2.5" HDD
                        Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
                        Silverstone USB DAC
                        Consult (ODB)
                        CarTFT K500
                        Carnetix P1290

Comment

I get it - you have to alt+enter to get it fullscreen.

Comment

Working on a fix. Might be a few days before I have time to get it 100% ready for the general public tho.

Comment

Working...
                            X