Embedded GPS Problem, Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embedded GPS Problem, Help!

I've used the embedded GPS for a while now and this is the first time this problem has ever happend to me, and I have no clue why. It started happening right after I reinstalled windows.

Okay, whenever I click on GPS in ME, I'll get this screen:

Then, if I close out of the GPS application, it will be stuck on a 'loading' screen. That will stay that way untill I press escape on my keyboard (which sucks because I usually don't have a keyboard hooked up).

Once I press escape and go back to the music screen, then if I go into GPS again it will look like this:

Then I can click on the GPS application on the task bar at the bottom and it will look like this (I have 'hide tittle bar' checked so it shouldn't even show the tittle bar):

Weird...Any idea's?

Are you using the same version of MediaEngine as before your windows reload?
    '01 Chevy Xtreme Stepside (pics)

FIC K7MNF-64 / Athlon 3200 | 256 DDR | 120 GB 7.2k WD
    WinXP Pro | MediaEngine | 12.1 VGA TFT Touch|Creative CIMR-100
    350w Vector | 320w mATX PS | Hellroaring BIC95150 | ButterflySDC

Comment

Yes I am. Weird thing, after a few days of reinstalling ME (for different reasons) it just started working again. So it's been a few days and I've used it numerous times, and I haven't seen it mess up again. Strange...

Thanks for the quick replies to my posts though!

Comment

It's unlikely that re-installing MediaEngine had any effect on it. Surely there's a setting in the GPS app that changed, or maybe just running it manually outside of M/E did the trick.

Comment

Alright I finally figured out what's causing this. The problem is with the ME's winamp plugin folder. I replaced the ME's default winamp with the new winamp. Adding additional files to the plugin folder for some weird reason will cause the GPS to mess up like it does above. So I only added a couple new files to the plugin folder (enough to make the new WA skin work) and now the GPS works fine.

On a slightly different note... How come the volume percentage (in the GPS screen) doesn't work in 800x600 but works in 1024x768?

(800x600):

(1024x768):

Comment

I'm baffled with your resolution, but if it works for you then that's great.

Your issue with the volume display is likely related to the font size causing a text wrap condition in that control. You might try reducing the font size in your skin.

Comment

What is the correct way to get the iGuidance software to open embedded in ME? Is it just the setting in the configuration for ME? Or am I missing something else? I've just installed this over the weekend as part of my CarPC project so I'm yet to fully explore but this has me a bit confused...
              -David IQ

Comment

Originally posted by XxAndyxX
                Alright I finally figured out what's causing this. The problem is with the ME's winamp plugin folder. I replaced the ME's default winamp with the new winamp. Adding additional files to the plugin folder for some weird reason will cause the GPS to mess up like it does above. So I only added a couple new files to the plugin folder (enough to make the new WA skin work) and now the GPS works fine.

On a slightly different note... How come the volume percentage (in the GPS screen) doesn't work in 800x600 but works in 1024x768?

(800x600):

(1024x768):
                Can you make a list?

I tried doing a full 5.24 winamp install on it, but that just kills it.

the more info the better...
                1999 Passat 1.8 Turbo 5-Speed Man.
                Project Status: {++++++++--}80%

Comment

Yes, please... more information on this would be great! Media Engine is my favorite front-end and I am having a heck of a time getting road runner to work properly with iguidance...

Comment

Look guys... Don't EVER do a winamp "install" into the MediaEngine directory.. Thats just asking for problems... Instead, install winamp into its default "C:\Program Files\Winamp" directory, then copy the components needed to your MediaEngine directory. I noticed you said "enough to get the WA skin to work." I would not advise using the winamp.exe in the mediaengine directory for anything but use with mediaengine... Install winamp somewhere else if you need a desktop player and treat it as a totally separate program from MediaEngine. Also, think good and hard about upgrading MediaEngine's winamp.exe. The one we include does EVERYTHING that MediaEngine could possibly tell it, and is extensively tested (for years now). So adding a new winamp.exe could easily cause MediaEngine to expect something and winamp doesn't do it in a new release.

As for the question about where the volume percentage is, it has to do with what resolution the skin is "made for" and what u are using it at. Its just a quirk. If you want to try to fix it, open the Default.isn file in \MediaEngine\COMMON\GPSPICS and edit it. Thats what controls the GPS skin. How come no one has done that is beyond me.
                    Look for

Code:
                    //  (L) Label
                    //  x   y   pt font    Color    Bold  Italic    Code   
                    //  --- --- -- ----    -----    ----  -------    ----   
                    L01,020,730,15,Verdana,16777215,FALSE,FALSE,STATUS
                    L02,229,730,15,Verdana,16777215,FALSE,FALSE,SPEED
                    L03,420,730,15,Verdana,16777215,FALSE,FALSE,DIRECTION
                    L04,027,616,15,Verdana,16777215,FALSE,FALSE,VOLUME
                    On L04, 027 is the X coordinate, and 616 is the Y. You can change any of these values to effect the GPS skin.

As for setting up IGuidance to work in MediaEngine, yes its just a setting in MediaEngine... Just use the Browse button under the GPS Tab in settings and browse to the Iguidance executable.
                    Get MediaEngine !!!
                    Media Engine Download

Comment

Thanks CarComp, but I haven't touched a thing with Winamp and I am having the same problems with iguidance as above.

It's basically an out of the box install. Installed Windows (and everything to go with it), MediaEngine and then iGuidance. Set iGuidance up in ME as the GPS app but it doesn't load correctly.

I am not sure what I did differently from the first time that it worked, but something is awry.

Comment

No ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by sebberry View Post
                          Thanks CarComp, but I haven't touched a thing with Winamp and I am having the same problems with iguidance as above.

It's basically an out of the box install. Installed Windows (and everything to go with it), MediaEngine and then iGuidance. Set iGuidance up in ME as the GPS app but it doesn't load correctly.

I am not sure what I did differently from the first time that it worked, but something is awry.
                          I just started having this problem as well, with no changes to my system.

Please advise. I'm running IG3.0 and the latest version of ME on Windows XP SP2.

Another thing I noticed is that ME is pegged at 96% CPU usage after you try to launch the GPS.

Comment

OK Try this.

Download this file http://www.mediaengine.org/download/iguidetestME.exe

Put it into your MediaEngine directory. It is a modified mediaengine.exe executable.

Delete your debug.log file ( or rename it)

Run iguidetest.exe and then start GPS like you normally would.. You should be presented with a series of messageboxes letting you know what the program is doing. It will be recorded into debug.log as well.

After its all done, write down what happened and then either email me the results with your attached debug.log or post it all here so I can peruse it.

If you have trouble getting this exe to run, just do whatever you can to make it work (like making a new settings.ini or using the default M.E skin or running RESET.bat) THE IMPORTANT PART is those messageboxes and the resulting debug.log.

BTW, if anyone can get me their iguidance executable file that will help me a lot. I'm not REAL sure of which version of iguidance I have (my car computer is out of commision I am designing a new super bright LCD backlight using 75 wide angle high intesity LEDs) and the iguidance company may have changed something in a newer version and broke MediaEngine that way.
                            Get MediaEngine !!!
                            Media Engine Download

Comment

CarComp, thanks for creating this test app. I didn't realize you had posted here but after giving up on RoadRunner's BS audio interface I thought I would give ME a shot again.

Here is what happened:

Deleted log file
                              Ran iguidetestME.exe:
                              -Had to run reset.bat
                              -Performed the db update and set up media directories as prompted
                              -Configured ME to use iguidance as the GPS app. (UMPC version but that shouldn't matter)

In ME main screen:
                              -Clicked "GPS System"
                              -ME "Loading" screen shows for a moment then is covered up by the iguidance warning
                              -Clicked OK in the iguidance warning screen
                              -iguidance loads in a reduced size window (looks like it has retained it's size/position from when loaded in Roadrunner)

Taskbar is showing with "M.E: GPS" taskbar button highlighted

---

MediaEngine logging message boxes:

I moved the iGuidance window out of the way to reveal the ME "loading" screen. The loading image is covered with a MediaEngine box reading "0 - Looking for OK button window"

I click ok in the ME message box and:

The taskbar has disappeared and I am back to the black loading screen with:

"1 - MediaEngine has found #32770 - 65740" I click ok to this and get "2 - NOW I WILL LOOK FOR THE OK BUTTON"

Then I get: "x - Could Not find OK button, you click it"

Clicked ok in that.

Now I receive a ME box "DONE - Now loading Skin"

Then it works! IG displays properly in ME.

Here is the logfile:

MediaEngine Version - Logfile created on 07/11/2006

07/11/2006 9:52:04 PM - 0 - Looking for OK BUTTON Window
                              07/11/2006 9:53:29 PM - 1 - MediaEngine has found #32770 - 65740
                              07/11/2006 9:53:50 PM - 2 - NOW I WILL LOOK FOR THE OK BUTTON
                              07/11/2006 9:54:32 PM - I have done This stuff
                              07/11/2006 9:56:04 PM - MediaEngine terminated cleanly by user

Of course running reset.bat and then the old version of ME cause the display issues to come back.

Whatever you did in the new version appears to have corrected the problem!

Comment

Working...
                              X