GPS in Media Engine 2.0 Sneak Peek

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS in Media Engine 2.0 Sneak Peek

here is a sneak peek of the GPS function that will be avaliable in Media Engine 2, this is an early version and doesn't support routing yet... but i'm hoping to add it in time for release of ME2

www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

this is very interesting if it can be "adapted" to different gps programs. in my case it is destinator 2.0 from powerlock tecnologies. when mediaengine v.2.0 comes out will i be able to run destinator (or other gps progr) or this integration is restricted to "run external applications" function? that would be just fine, also being able to run the gps program and listen to mp3. In other words, i want mediaengne to be on top of everything else......

Comment

no, the system is limited to mappoint 2002 north america or europe, we are only using the maps from it, all the GPS and routing is coded in VB
      -it's the only application i know of that allows you to use its maps in vb, so it's the only software we can support.
      but you can always use external application function to run up your prefered software...
      James

Comment

Mmm - Note to self - must get copy of Mappoint 2002.

Shame it won't work with Auto route how ever I must concure - Destinator would be a good app to work with... I think they do some kind of dll add on as well as some good support for moding the system.... I have bought it therefore you you want me to ask any questions ( not been I programmer I need to know what questions ) I will contact them...

Thanks

Terran
        My Project Site

Comment

hmm destinator 2 has an SDK - i could possibly add support - I will look into it, it means writing fresh code, and being able to select whichever app you have installed so it might take me a good while..
          James

Comment

That's pretty slick looking, but the font needs to be bigger I think. I for one, and I know many others, am going to use a small 7" touch screen lcd in wide screen format 800x480 (Xenarc).

For me, it would be most benificial to have the controls on the left hand part of the widescreen, with the map on the right. mabye setup like controls = 300 x480 pixels, map=500x480 pixels. Will that be possible?

Comment

ok, I am developing on a 12" 4:3 aspect so it's fine for me - I will make alternate configurations avaliable such as the one you described for widescreen...
              James

Comment

That's pretty cool of you. Hopefully it won't delay the release of 2.0. In otherwords, if you get done with it, and the only thing left to do is change for different aspect ratios, go ahead and release it to others, I can wait.

Comment

sure - ME2 isn't finished yet, so it's not being held up by this atm -I am interested in getting some beta testers together - you must have a GPS receiver and Mappoint 2002 Europe.
                  ( don't worry the actual version will support north america )
                  if you are interested please email me [email protected]
                  James

Comment

Originally posted by Jamez_Warner
                    hmm destinator 2 has an SDK - i could possibly add support - I will look into it, it means writing fresh code, and being able to select whichever app you have installed so it might take me a good while..
                    James
                    Drop me a PM with your email addy and I will send the SDK to you. NB its 50Mb +

So is there any thing I shoudl ask them first which may help ?

PS - I'm willing to be a beta tester... should have MP soon

Terran
                    My Project Site

Comment

I allready have the SDK it only gives me a map of paris - which is pretty useless when i'm trying to test...
                      James

Comment

James - I have sent you my direct details.. lets talk off air.

Terran
                        My Project Site

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

James:
                            When you say that all of the gps, and routing is done in code. Does this let you know where the car is at all times on the map? Are you able to use our own TTS software for Turn By Turn Directions? Also does the code you have implemented now do rerouting?

Thanks,
                            Quincy

Comment

qjones, the code I have written to handle the routing is very crude at the moment and needs improving, Mappoint actually does the routing and sends back its turn instructions, we can then decode these at the right time and provide visual and voice prompts... rerouting is not yet supported - I would like to add it eventually thoough
                              James

Comment

Working...
                              X