Linux version of Media Engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux version of Media Engine

Is there going to be a Linux version of Media Engine?

The reason I ask is because I find a Windows XP install a bit to much for a Carputer. I want a OS that takes no more than 500Mb on a install. (less sources causes less trouble). With Linux you can decide yourself how big your OS install is.

To all the Windows XP users:
    - Stays your system stable or do you have to reboot a lot of times?
    - How about scandisk, is this bottering you everytime your system doesn't shut down the way it should (abrupt shotdown)??

I haven't decided wich OS I will use yet. I like dashPC but love the Media Engine interface.
    System in progress:
    New install in progress...

don't think there is a linux version. But has anyone tried it in WINE?

Comment

http://www.dashpc.com/ may help..

Terran
      My Project Site

Comment

Originally posted by ccsnet
        http://www.dashpc.com/ may help..

Terran
        I know the site, see the link in my sign. Like it but the looks sucks compared to Media Engine.

I like Windows XP a lot, but it's a shame it takes zo much disk space. Therefore I'm thinking about Linux. Mayby I will combine DashPC and Media Engine....

Off Topic:
        How is it going with your ON1 IR Remote? Next month I'm buying my IR reciever.
        System in progress:

Comment

there probably will never be a linux version.. unless wine includes a lot of high level api calls in it.

Look for xplite when it comes out.. you'll be able to scale down the XP install to under 500megs i'm sure
          '98 Explorer Sport
          http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
          AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
          80% done

Comment

You could just use Win 98, you can install that in less than 100mb and its perfectly stable as long as your not contantly installing and uninstalling software.
            -------------------------------------------
            (=========-) 99% complete
            --------------------------------------------
            AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
            All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
            Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
            ----------------------------------------------

Comment

I've made my decision, it's going to be Linux. I.m not so happy with win98 or winme. Everything I want can be done with linux.
              System in progress:

Comment

when you get your linux box going. try media engine in WINE.. I am currious myself to see if it works.. although i doubt it will

Comment

Originally posted by unrealer33
                  when you get your linux box going. try media engine in WINE.. I am currious myself to see if it works.. although i doubt it will
                  Never knew that existed, thanks. I'll try it. First I have to get an other HDD.

At first I was thinking about changing the shell of DashPC to something like Media Engine. Now I'll try WINE first.
                  System in progress:

Comment

ME will not work with a standard version of wine. Someone in #mp3car install lindows and couldn't run 1.77 so you will never be able to run 2.0.

I want to make a player in SDL. THat way it can run on linux/mac/windows.
                    '98 Explorer Sport
                    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
                    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
                    80% done

Comment

as soon as I finish my linux compiler and api wrapper for vb I will hook ya'll up
                      [H]4 Life
                      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                      I'm a lesbian too.
                      I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                        as soon as I finish my linux compiler and api wrapper for vb I will hook ya'll up
                        That would be nice. At the moment I'm learning Linux Slackware 9.0 from the inside out so I can start writing software for it (still a n00b at that tough). When I've got it onder control, I want to try to customize the DashPC screen to my own needs.
                        System in progress:

Comment

the main reason for me not to take linux was the whole navigation issue. there is no good navigation software (good means, it can find the quickest way, and maybe it could even talk and it should use a gps.. i konow there is so kind of mapping software, taht actually shows you your position on any scanned map.. but that's not wat i want..

forget ME on Linux, it's been written in Visual Basic, which is probably one of the most non-Linuxish programming languages ;-)

PS: does anyone know if Map&guide runs on wine?

PPS: my winxp takes 30 seconds to boot (hybernation) without any modifications, my bios even does the memory check and all that kinds of stuff, after 30 seonds i hear music... what else do you want? plus it runs perfectly stable...

cheers
                          pascal
                          current
                          2001 Chevy Tahoe
                          Carputer MK 3
                          - Mobo out of Shuttle Barebone System
                          - AMD Duron 1300
                          - 7" Lilliput
                          - Opus Powersupply
                          - MediaCar
                          earlyer installs
                          1996 Ford Explorer Carputer MK 2
                          1997 Subaru Impreza GT Carputer MK 1

Comment

Here is some great navigation software, still in development but works great:
                            http://gpsmap.sourceforge.net/

others:
                            http://www.kraftvoll.at/software/
                            System in progress:

Comment

Originally posted by The Undertaker
                              I know the site, see the link in my sign. Like it but the looks sucks compared to Media Engine.

I like Windows XP a lot, but it's a shame it takes zo much disk space. Therefore I'm thinking about Linux. Mayby I will combine DashPC and Media Engine....

Off Topic:
                              How is it going with your ON1 IR Remote? Next month I'm buying my IR reciever.
                              On Topic - Not really looked in to it.. not a big Linux fan.

Off Topic - Will drop you a PM but about half way... The basics are working.

Terran
                              My Project Site

Comment

Working...
                              X