Hows your D-Link USB radio Reception?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hows your D-Link USB radio Reception?

Mine works fine software wise, but when you actually get in the car and use it, it sucks really bad. I have tried it hooked to normal antenna and car antenna. Still sucks. Its grounded correctly to car antenna, so don't think thats it. Maybe rate your reception on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being "attached to the radio tower itself" and 1 being "reception would be better on the moon with only teeth braces to pick up the signal"

Please help...
    Get MediaEngine !!!
    Media Engine Download

i say its "6"

Comment

CarComp,, how is the sound quality of the Dlink FM receiver?? The only way I would consider ditching my head unit for one, is if the quality matches that of regular radios,, (other than the reception problems)
      My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
      Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

5, ok for strong stations, nonfunctional for weak. (using radiator drivers and car ant.) Repeated searching (scan forward) will bluescreen XP pro.

Comment

This is discouraging I just decided to get rid of my head unit but it sounds like the USB FM radio does not work? Is there anyone who is having any luck using thier Car Computer as an FM Radio???
          Check out the progress of my carputer at http://www.monkeytails.net

Comment

I've used mine with some success, although the reception could be better. Having said that, I paid very little attention to adequately shielding the cable, so it's no real surprise that it was shocking.

There have been other threads on this device and issue that suggest very careful cabling, shielding and terminating can result in acceptable reception.

I don't understand the need for heavy use of the scan button - I have all the stations that I am interested in set up on my station list in radiator.

Sure it's not a fix for the BSOD issues you have, but it might be a sufficiently elegant workaround.

C!
            http://carpc.riposte.net
            I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

Mine seems to work fairly well, though I've ditched the d-link attenna in favour of patching into the cars attenna system ($1.50 for the car antenna extension cable at Rat-Shack, and 15 minutes of cutting and soldering - plug&play when I got it into the car!).

GTC

Comment

My carputer is still in drydock in my house and the D-Link FM works fine there. Good reception and good sound. If it works as good in the car, I'll be very happy.

Comment

I would rate the DLink reception as 5, only strong stations come in and even they have static. I have the antenna connected to my car antenna.
                  My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

I've heard of good reception using these (and I can't recall who it was). Achieved by desoldering the RCA connector from the board, placing the board in a shielded enclosure, and running cables off the board directly to the antenna lead.

When mine goes back in the new car, I'll be doing some experimenting.

Comment

Originally posted by C4M
                      I've heard of good reception using these (and I can't recall who it was). Achieved by desoldering the RCA connector from the board, placing the board in a shielded enclosure, and running cables off the board directly to the antenna lead.

When mine goes back in the new car, I'll be doing some experimenting.
                      Iv'e got a dab card in my home pc - cd quality, will this work on the move in my carputer?????
                      Peter.

Comment

I seem to be receiving at least two or three stations on each frequency. I've only tried it in my study, I wasn't going to try it with my new carpc build at all. It was that bad.
                        Stop Buying New Music CD's.
                        Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

Originally posted by chut
                          I seem to be receiving at least two or three stations on each frequency. I've only tried it in my study, I wasn't going to try it with my new carpc build at all. It was that bad.
                          My reception is mostly excellent, I can get about 13 commercial and 14 BBC stations with a tiny 300mm high arial, don't know what it will be like on the move though.
                          Can I buy a pci to usb adapter?? no more room in my Cubid 2699R case and the only pci slot houses the Extidgys/c.

Comment

Originally posted by peteruk
                            Iv'e got a dab card in my home pc - cd quality, will this work on the move in my carputer?????
                            Peter.
                            Sorry - I have no idea - either what card you are talking about, or whether it will work.

Having said that, the easiest way to find out is to try. Just remember that shielding the aerial connections is important.

Comment

Originally posted by C4M
                              Sorry - I have no idea - either what card you are talking about, or whether it will work.

Having said that, the easiest way to find out is to try. Just remember that shielding the aerial connections is important.
                              DAB is digital radio.

Comment

Working...
                              X