Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Media Engine 2.0 GPS Edition (Destinator2)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Engine 2.0 GPS Edition (Destinator2)

Thought you'd all like to know how I was getting on, I have passed on my mappoint code to hijinks as i felt it was too limited for what I wanted to do...
    So I have started using Destinator2 as the mapping software ( Thanks Terran for the recommendation)
    Currently the my gps edition of media engine offers:
    • voice and text mp3 interuption
    • voice prompting ( can read out place, street names and turn instruction )
    • background gps tracking
    • night/day modes
    • full routing and autorerouting
    Here are some screenshots:
    What do you all think? any suggestions?

www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Looks good, I like the 3d look. Is the 3D accomplished using the Destinator2 software?? and is there any way that it will show up the street names??
    My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
    Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

3d support is courtesy of destinator - unfortunatly there is no street names in 3d - which actually isnt a problem as the street you are in and the street you are looking for are diplayed, if you use the 2d/3d toggle the 2d maps are normal and have complete names

Comment

great James!! i m a happy possessor of destinator 2.0 i would be happy if i could help you out with the testing of it!! e mail me at [email protected] and provide a valid ftp or http download. ill be delighted to help.

the interface is simple but effective, maybe the text on the buttons on top can be slightly larger. excellent the night and day function (i guess it uses the destinator 2.0 function, right?

hope i can try it.

david

Comment

Love the idea, just not sure I can afford to get Destinator to make it work at the moment Be nice if you could negotiate some sort of discount with PowerLoc They get more customers through your software, we get cheaper, good software? Am I being cheeky now?

I'd guess it's only the maps that would need to be licensed, as the SDK contains all that's needed, and doesn't even have the full software?

Just a thought, Ginge.

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
          CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

not sure how that would work, you can download the sdk free - and i presume just add map packs and it will work - ( it only comes with paris and manhattan maps ) this sounds bit too good to be true so I would have to speak to powerloc about this.... i'm running up against a few issues with version 2 of the sdk - apparantly version 3 is out soon so i should be able to control destinator2 a bit better.... will let you know how I get on...
            ps all the buttons are just for testing, terran is working on media engnie style icons and a skin for destinator for me at the moment.....

Comment

For any any one intrested I got mine from http://www.routeplanners.co.uk/ - I also met the guy who brought the software to me ( very nice ).

If there is enough of you then I would suggest you approach them as they know all about this site and my own project etc, etc.

Terran
              My Project Site

Comment

So, does this mean no US maps????

I've never used or looked any info up on Destinator...I will tonight though.

The text at the top does need to be larger. The buttons I would just remember what each does. I'd rather see more text than buttons.
                Aura MR62 (F and R)
                My Current MP3s
                IamDefiler.com

Comment

Destinator does, the UK, EU, USA and even Canada I think - like Mappoint it depends which pack you buy.

Have a look at http://www.destinator1.com/

Although it looks basic its desinged for this sort of take so its ideal and not over the top expensive.

Some where on my site there is a link to a review... If I remeber its on http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/ or some thing like that. Althought it shows the Pocket PC version its just the same on the PC side.

Terran

Oh try http://www.carpc.nl - I have just remebered he has some PC screen shots there.

Hope that helps.

Terran
                  My Project Site

Comment

Is there anyway to get a beta version of V2?

I just want to have the support for text search, and genre, thats all i need man. I'm dying here, i need v2~!!! Ok enough of that, but seriously, help me out here.
                    "A4 Quattro. Rocket Science."

Comment

ccsnet, how much does the destinator software cost?
                      EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

Comment

Got mine for ... err 140ish for the UK only version.... not bad realy.

Terran
                        My Project Site

Comment

How have you got around the problem of Destinator reading out directions whilst MP3 is playing? Caused me lots of frustration!
                          (eg - listening to MP3 - direction is called but you cannot hear it - how did you intercept the event?) I have got to the stage where I can mute the MP3/Video playback when a voice command is issued and then fade volume back in - my method leaves a lot to be desired and I'd be interested to see how you've solved the problem!

Originally posted by Jamez_Warner
                          not sure how that would work, you can download the sdk free - and i presume just add map packs and it will work - ( it only comes with paris and manhattan maps ) this sounds bit too good to be true so I would have to speak to powerloc about this.... i'm running up against a few issues with version 2 of the sdk - apparantly version 3 is out soon so i should be able to control destinator2 a bit better.... will let you know how I get on...
                          ps all the buttons are just for testing, terran is working on media engnie style icons and a skin for destinator for me at the moment.....
                          Nehemiah M10000 board, 512Mb RAM, Win98'lite', 7" TFT DIN in-dash VGA touchscreen. IR keyboard. GPS.

Comment

vittel, it's still a big problem - and i haven't really got round it acceptably - i can only estimate when dest is gonna send a prompt :/ not foolproof have email dest support, wonder if they have any workarounds - its not just this that a problem its destinators lack of info output on the direction giving side of things - how have you got round the prob? PM me

Comment

Fantastic work! Give me a shout if you need a tester, Ive been using Destinator since V1 and its great. This is exactly what i was hoping for, much more universal than just having Co-Pilot support. Excellent!
                              -------------------------------------------
                              (=========-) 99% complete
                              --------------------------------------------
                              AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
                              All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
                              Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
                              ----------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X