Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D-Link DRU-100 Hack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • D-Link DRU-100 Hack

    Can anyone tell me how to hack the usb radio to work with my car's antenna? I think all I have to do is get a car antenna extension and just splice it but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
    Via Mini-ITX 800 Mhz
    7" In-Dash LCD Monitor
    30 GB Laptop Harddrive
    256 MB Memory
    Hopefully Installed Soon!!

  • #2
    Originally posted by SurfinCajun
    Can anyone tell me how to hack the usb radio to work with my car's antenna? I think all I have to do is get a car antenna extension and just splice it but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
    You can try just splicing it (car center pin to Dlink RCA ground) however I have found reception to be poor. There is another thread out there that mentioned taking the radio apart and soldering directly to the reciever....I havent' tried this myself
    My Celica Carputer Install

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by EBJUSTIN
      You can try just splicing it (car center pin to Dlink RCA ground) however I have found reception to be poor. There is another thread out there that mentioned taking the radio apart and soldering directly to the reciever....I havent' tried this myself


      Car center pin to Dlink RCA? Is there not 2 wires on both the car antenna and an RCA? I have in fact desoldered the RCA connected on my board and have soldered it stright to a antenna cable...but I haven't actually tried it yet.
      OrangeWhip? OrangeWhip? 3 OrangeWhips!!
      www.whipflash.com
      Finally a new Avatar!

      Comment


      • #4
        The car antenna is essentially one signal wire and ground. The signal wire is the center pin and shoud connect to the outer housing of the Dlink RCA connector. A standard RCA connector uses the center pin for signal and the outer housing for ground but Dlink 'broke the mold'. I don't know what they were thinking. They should have used a standard RF connector (coax maybe).
        My Celica Carputer Install

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by EBJUSTIN
          The car antenna is essentially one signal wire and ground. The signal wire is the center pin and shoud connect to the outer housing of the Dlink RCA connector. A standard RCA connector uses the center pin for signal and the outer housing for ground but Dlink 'broke the mold'. I don't know what they were thinking. They should have used a standard RF connector (coax maybe).

          Really, how can you tell it is backwards? I soldered it to the board thinking that the outside was the ground...but like I said I haven't tried it yet. Could that be why your reception is poor?

          I'm not trying to knock what you are saying, just trying to figure it out for myself. On the actual D-Link board, do you know what one is signal and what is ground?
          OrangeWhip? OrangeWhip? 3 OrangeWhips!!
          www.whipflash.com
          Finally a new Avatar!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by orangewhip
            Really, how can you tell it is backwards? I soldered it to the board thinking that the outside was the ground...but like I said I haven't tried it yet. Could that be why your reception is poor?

            I'm not trying to knock what you are saying, just trying to figure it out for myself. On the actual D-Link board, do you know what one is signal and what is ground?
            RCA center pin is ground, and ground is signal.....other people have noticed this too

            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ht=dlink+radio
            My Celica Carputer Install

            Comment

            Working...
            X