Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing album in order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Playing album in order

    Hey, sorry for this noob question, but it's been driving me crazy for literally a week. Is there any way to play an entire album in track order without naming the mp3 files to include the track number? When I ripped my collection a while ago, I just put the track number in the ID3 tag. It seems like I should be able to simply click on an album to get it to play in order, but unfortunately, as I'm sure you're aware, it plays in alphabetical order. Am I overlooking something, or is this functionality not built in (yet). Thanks all for your help.

  • #2
    Originally posted by jordanmreed
    Hey, sorry for this noob question, but it's been driving me crazy for literally a week. Is there any way to play an entire album in track order without naming the mp3 files to include the track number? When I ripped my collection a while ago, I just put the track number in the ID3 tag. It seems like I should be able to simply click on an album to get it to play in order, but unfortunately, as I'm sure you're aware, it plays in alphabetical order. Am I overlooking something, or is this functionality not built in (yet). Thanks all for your help.
    the songs are ordered by artist and then title. if you're generating your list by using the database function and listing artist then album, i guess it would make sense to list the tracks by track number??? I'll get this added to the next bugfix release.

    on the other hand, if you're building your list by browsing the directories, there's really no way to tell when you're browsing an album folder or a folder of singles, which you'd want sorted by artist - title. I just rip my albums and have WinDAC name the tracks NN-Title.mp3 where NN is the track number. This gives me the listing in the correct order if i turn on the sort by filename option in Settings>Appearance. I imagine there's some utility out there that could handle renaming the files for you in bulk, but if you can't find anything let me know; it wouldn't be too tough to write a vbscript that would handle the task for you.
    '01 Chevy Xtreme Stepside (pics)

    FIC K7MNF-64 / Athlon 3200 | 256 DDR | 120 GB 7.2k WD
    WinXP Pro | MediaEngine | 12.1 VGA TFT Touch|Creative CIMR-100
    350w Vector | 320w mATX PS | Hellroaring BIC95150 | ButterflySDC

    Comment


    • #3
      ID3 tags have a track number field. Couldn't ME just grab that and use it to order songs that reside within a single directory?

      Edit:

      OGG tags also have a track number field.
      A digital mind lost in an analog world.

      Learn to ask smart questions!
      http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

      My car PC: The Lost Cause!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by fluffy2097
        ID3 tags have a track number field. Couldn't ME just grab that and use it to order songs that reside within a single directory?
        Uh yeah that's what I was talking about in the first part of my response. It would be pretty confusing to order a folder full of singles from different albums by their ID3 track number, don't you think? That's why I won't do it that way when browsing files+folders. Another problem with using ID3 tag info is the overwhelming amount of music propagating in the wild with incomplete and incorrect tag info.

        Originally posted by fluffy2097
        OGG tags also have a track number field.
        Yes, I got your hint fluffy2097. I'm cleaning up an ogg tagreader module that frodobaggins sent and I might get it in the next bugfix release. A little patience please?
        '01 Chevy Xtreme Stepside (pics)

        FIC K7MNF-64 / Athlon 3200 | 256 DDR | 120 GB 7.2k WD
        WinXP Pro | MediaEngine | 12.1 VGA TFT Touch|Creative CIMR-100
        350w Vector | 320w mATX PS | Hellroaring BIC95150 | ButterflySDC

        Comment


        • #5
          ahh. sorry. It wasn't quite clear to me. I was sleep deprived and missed a few lines here and there. I'll read more closely next time.

          I'm nothing if not patient, sorry if I came across as *****y. I had no intention to.
          A digital mind lost in an analog world.

          Learn to ask smart questions!
          http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

          My car PC: The Lost Cause!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by fluffy2097
            ahh. sorry. It wasn't quite clear to me. I was sleep deprived and missed a few lines here and there. I'll read more closely next time.

            I'm nothing if not patient, sorry if I came across as *****y. I had no intention to.
            As the Aussies say: no worries mate.
            '01 Chevy Xtreme Stepside (pics)

            FIC K7MNF-64 / Athlon 3200 | 256 DDR | 120 GB 7.2k WD
            WinXP Pro | MediaEngine | 12.1 VGA TFT Touch|Creative CIMR-100
            350w Vector | 320w mATX PS | Hellroaring BIC95150 | ButterflySDC

            Comment


            • #7
              I have found a great program to do mass ID3 editing or mass renaming file. It's called EAGS ON! and you can get it for free at the developer's website http://eagson.webcindario.com/

              The great thing is that if you have one folder per album the program can get the correct information from FreeDB...

              Well my MP3 archive structure has track number so it's already ok.
              -NicGalla-
              custom-made aluminum case | MK2.8+ PSU | EPIA 800 | 256 Mb DDR | 120 Gb 7.2k WD | Wireless Chieftec mouse & keyb | Trust USB Keypad & USB webcam | Majestic TFT 7" 16:9 | WinXP & ME2 | connected to factory head-unit in a PT Cruiser 2.0L

              Comment


              • #8
                issue resolved

                This will be fixed for you in the upcoming bugfix release. Should be ready this week barring any other major catastrophes.

                Also ogg tag support and a fix for the WMP unknown file extesion nag.
                '01 Chevy Xtreme Stepside (pics)

                FIC K7MNF-64 / Athlon 3200 | 256 DDR | 120 GB 7.2k WD
                WinXP Pro | MediaEngine | 12.1 VGA TFT Touch|Creative CIMR-100
                350w Vector | 320w mATX PS | Hellroaring BIC95150 | ButterflySDC

                Comment

                Working...
                X