Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running PDA emulator as gps

i've got a pda emulator set up with tom tom at the mo
    i have run a batch file to run it and want mobile impact to use this as my gps software

however when i try to run it from within MI it kicks up a stink and says it can't find a file (one specified in the batch file, also in the same folder as batch file)

any ideas?
    My install... check it out!

www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56599

Originally posted by GreenBeast
    i've got a pda emulator set up with tom tom at the mo
    i have run a batch file to run it and want mobile impact to use this as my gps software

however when i try to run it from within MI it kicks up a stink and says it can't find a file (one specified in the batch file, also in the same folder as batch file)

any ideas?
    Try this, open the config.ini file and find this section->
    [GPS]
    GPSLEFT=-5
    GPSTOP=-75
    GPSWIDTH=810
    GPSHEIGHT=565
    GPSPATH=C:\Documents and Settings\edickinson\Desktop\iGmod\ig mod.exe
    GPSCLASS=ThunderRT6MDIForm

Step 1: Type in the path of the program/batch file in the GPSPATH.
    Step 2: Download wingrab from my website and run it
    Step 3: Run the emulator running Tomtom and then drag and drop the crosshairs icon from wingrab to the emulator. When you let go of the crosshairs, Text will show in the boxes. The Class Name is what you should enter for the GPSCLASS.
    Step 4: change the GPSLEF/TOP/WIDTH/HEIGHT settings to adjust the way the program embeds.

If you can get me the emulator and the tomtom stuff I could probablyfigure out how to make it work perfectly if the above instruction dont work out. Let me know. Thanks.
    Mobile Impact
    Highly innovative car computer multimedia/entertainment system software.
    http://mobileimpact.biz.tm

Comment

cheers for that i'll give it a go

Comment

well i tried it and couldn't get it to work

do you want me to send you the emulator files? you won't need tom tom because thats not an issue running on the emulator i just need to get the emulator running

Comment

well i tried it and couldn't get it to work

do you want me to send you the emulator files? you won't need tom tom because thats not an issue running on the emulator i just need to get the emulator running
          Yes please send me the emulator. I will need the tomtom as well because I want to test your batch file and include it or make any necessary changes. How big is tomtom?
          Mobile Impact

Comment

the batch file doesn't actually do anything with any tom tom files it just runs the emulator and makes sure its 800*600 and knows where to get the saved state from

Comment

the batch file doesn't actually do anything with any tom tom files it just runs the emulator and makes sure its 800*600 and knows where to get the saved state from
              Ok, just give me the batch file, and the emulator and I will take it from there.
              Mobile Impact

Comment

how can i send it to you?

Comment

how can i send it to you?
                  Can you attach it to an email?
                  Mobile Impact

Comment

no, the emu installation file is 27meg i know...i'll just tell you where i got it

https://beta.microsoft.com/sign-in/s...%3Flc%253D1033

you'll need a microsoft passport/msn account

then the guest ID is MSDEVICE

Comment

Thats a pretty cool emulator, I will definitely need your batch file that you use to run it as there are tons of switches for the exe file.
                      Mobile Impact

Comment

http://www.goldengolf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ppc.bat

this file needs to go in the same directory as 'deviceemulator.exe'
                        you need a 'save' folder and a 'storage_card' folder in the same directory too

Comment

http://www.goldengolf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ppc.bat

this file needs to go in the same directory as 'deviceemulator.exe'
                          you need a 'save' folder and a 'storage_card' folder in the same directory too
                          Ok, I found out a couple of things, First off, my code doesnt like the batch file because the code runs it straight and does not allow for its working directory so it gives an error message saying it cant find DeviceEmulator.exe.
                          I tried a few ways to trick it into working and I met with a small amount of success. You can set the program up in the external apps module and it runs fine, then if you want to embed it put these under the GPS section in the config.ini file;
                          GPSPATH=C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Device Emulator Preview\ppc.bat
                          GPSCLASS=LCDDisplay

After you add this to Config.ini, then when you go into Mobile Impact, you will have to go to the external apps module first and run it, then go into the GPS module. You will still have to click ok on the cant find DeviceEmulator.exe error message, but it will continue and find the instance that was run from the external apps module and then embed it into the GPS form. you could also change the GPSPATH to something like calculator or something, but you would still have to close something. The main disadavantage of this is getting it to size correctly, you might have to play around with your bat file settings or in the config.ini you can change the GPSTOP, GPSLEFT, GPSWIDTH, and GPSHEIGHT settings. This is the only conclusion after an hour or so of working on it that I could come up.

On a side note, I noticed that the emulator ran extremely poorly and really bogged my system down and I have a P4 2.5 ghz with 512 mb ram. Im assuming that your opinion of TomTom is higher than Freedrive, Mapmonkey, or GaroNav? Personally I would put up with their shortcomings instead of slowing my system down. Thanks for giving me the oportunity to experiment with this.
                          Mobile Impact

Comment

thats cool i'm glad you liked the opportunity rather than being annoyed

yes it is noted by others to be cpu intensive. the reason i'm running this is the lack of money and the handy low price (read 'free') of the tom tom software
                            i'll give what you've suggested a go

Comment

right i've tried but when i go over to the gps module i get an error message saying 'current VMID is in use. Wait for the other application to exit'

its a device emulator error so you may not have any idea

Comment

Working...
                              X