FLAC lossless audio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLAC lossless audio

i've recently been re-ripping my entire collection into FLAC format. i've got media player to play them and read the tags

is it possible to have MI play them too?

wanna go lossless in the car
    My install... check it out!

www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56599

Originally posted by GreenBeast
    i've recently been re-ripping my entire collection into FLAC format. i've got media player to play them and read the tags

is it possible to have MI play them too?

wanna go lossless in the car
    Ive never heard of FLAC format. For the time being Im going to be keeping it opening generally standard formats. If I get alot of requests for it, I will probably add it.
    Mobile Impact
    Highly innovative car computer multimedia/entertainment system software.
    http://mobileimpact.biz.tm

Comment

Just curious - do you really think you'll be able to tell the difference between a lossless track and a compressed one in the car, with all the ambient noise? It doesn't seem likely, unless your Golf has three inches of insulation everywhere.
      My install log
      My "selling entire system" thread

Comment

i know what you're saying.
        i'll have to test it out with media player in the car i guess

i think any upgrade in sound that can be had for no cost/disadvantage is a good thing

Comment

Oh and red, FLAC is Free Lossless Audio Codec. means you can rip your cds without losing quality (unlike any bit rate of mp3) but the files are a chunk smaller than wav files and they can be tagged

Comment

Oh and red, FLAC is Free Lossless Audio Codec. means you can rip your cds without losing quality (unlike any bit rate of mp3) but the files are a chunk smaller than wav files and they can be tagged
            Yes I did some research on it and also at my favorite music download site, they have the option to download in Lossless Audio, and in the following codecs: Monkey's Audio Lossless, OptimFROG Lossless, FLAC Lossless, PCM Wave, and WMA 9 Lossless. Where the mp3 is only 3-5 megs, the lossless is 25-35 megs per song. I dont know about you, but I have around 150 albums on my carputer, so if they were all in Lossless, it would calculate to around 360 megs or so per album on the average. Where right now all my albums are around 80 megs per album. Honestly I cant tell the difference between the quality of my mp3's versus lets say XM audio or a Music CD. I do notice that the bass seams to be a bit deaper on the XM, but thats about it. I would stick with Mp3 or even Mp4 to save on space.
            Mobile Impact

Comment

thas cool, its all each to their own

hopefully soon i'll be getting a nice big drive for my home pc and i'll have the spare drives necessary to put my 100+ albums in the car lossless. although i will give it a test in the car while driving before copying all that music across
              which means it wouldn't cost me any extra or inconvenience me to have better quality music. thats all

how does MI use MP? i thought cos i can get MP to play them and read tags that MI would be able to?

Comment

thas cool, its all each to their own

hopefully soon i'll be getting a nice big drive for my home pc and i'll have the spare drives necessary to put my 100+ albums in the car lossless. although i will give it a test in the car while driving before copying all that music across
                which means it wouldn't cost me any extra or inconvenience me to have better quality music. thats all

how does MI use MP? i thought cos i can get MP to play them and read tags that MI would be able to?
                MI can play anything that Media Player can play, but the filelist is set to only read certain file types. This is actually more complicated than it sounds, because the file list that the user sees is actually just a remote list for a hidden system file list which is then set to see certain file types. Then when you click on the filelist that you can see, it transfers that selection to the hidden filelist and then depending on the file extension it knows what icon to give it and what to do with it.
                Mobile Impact

Comment

english? lol

ok. i'll stick with mp3 until you decide to add FLAC compatibility

Comment

I second the motion for FLAC. Flac is what we use when using the spidf out on our epia's because we're getting digital sound...lossless formats sound incredibly detailed and much crisper.
                    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                    - Alpine W200/H701
                    - ED Nine.2X
                    - OZ Matrix Elites
                    - ED Nine.1
                    - Idmax 12's

Comment

hooray!
                      some one else who know about it

any chance you could add flac to the file list for the nxt version

Comment

technicly it already plays FLAC (i've been kinda a nerd when it comes to format) he kept the system basic enought to just respond to WMP, which is a bit bloted of a player (even more bloted with 10 and you got all those "music shopping" options) but because he uses that all you need to do is install the codec on the comp, and then boom you can play FLAC, the prob as he was saying is that his software isn't setup to except that format, not so much the format but the extension of the file (.flac right?).

The fix:
                        now i haven't tried this but i've been around computer enough. try renaming the whole collection to .mp3 then redo your database (how ever thats done with this software or if you do in the WMP database). then once it's support just use that mass renamer to rename all the extensions to the .flac I found this trick out back when I wanted to listen to mp3s on the school computers, the admins don't like it cuzz most mp3s arn't legit. So to buy pass it we would call it .wav because we had permission to read .wav but not .mp3 thanks to WMP when it opens a file, it doesn't use the extension to determin what it is, it looks at the file it's self, so the system thought we were playing .wav and once WMP opened it, it just loaded mp3 like normal. So i figure the same thing would apply here, just rename it to .mp3 to get the system to see the files, and then WMP will use the right codec to play it when it comes down to it.

So someone try it and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Maver
                          technicly it already plays FLAC (i've been kinda a nerd when it comes to format) he kept the system basic enought to just respond to WMP, which is a bit bloted of a player (even more bloted with 10 and you got all those "music shopping" options) but because he uses that all you need to do is install the codec on the comp, and then boom you can play FLAC, the prob as he was saying is that his software isn't setup to except that format, not so much the format but the extension of the file (.flac right?).

The fix:
                          now i haven't tried this but i've been around computer enough. try renaming the whole collection to .mp3 then redo your database (how ever thats done with this software or if you do in the WMP database). then once it's support just use that mass renamer to rename all the extensions to the .flac I found this trick out back when I wanted to listen to mp3s on the school computers, the admins don't like it cuzz most mp3s arn't legit. So to buy pass it we would call it .wav because we had permission to read .wav but not .mp3 thanks to WMP when it opens a file, it doesn't use the extension to determin what it is, it looks at the file it's self, so the system thought we were playing .wav and once WMP opened it, it just loaded mp3 like normal. So i figure the same thing would apply here, just rename it to .mp3 to get the system to see the files, and then WMP will use the right codec to play it when it comes down to it.

So someone try it and report back.

Hmm, this might just work, just as long as media player doesnt try to play a .flac file using mp3 guidelines.
                          Mobile Impact

Comment

like I said, take any file,like .ogg and change it to .mp3 and WMP will still load it just fine. because it doesn't care about extensions it insted looks inside the files, because inside each file it has a bit of hash that says what kind of file it has and what kind of guidelines.

same goes for movies, i just tryed chaning .avi to .mpeg and both WMP and winamp still opened and played the file, though if you change a .avi or other movie format to somthing like .mp3 then they don't work, i think thats because it does use the extension just to determin music or video.

Comment

flac OWNS!!!

I am also slowly converting my collection to flac because if you know what your listening to it makes all the difference in the world thats why my car pc has an creative xfi in it and if you have a decent system you can totaly tell the difference

Comment

Working...
                              X