SIRF anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIRF anyone?

I have a bu-303 gps receiver and was wondering if anyone had been able to get it working in sirf mode with destinator? I tried downloading sirfdemo and switching the mode on the gps receiver but destinator couldn't locate any satellites (at all). Anyone had any success or got any suggestions?

Thanks

are you sure the bu-303 supports sirf?

it has to be a sirf chipset to do so.

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...irf+destinator

NM's latest D3 front end - advanced gps mode - doesn't do sirf yet. But Destinator does.
      Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

You'll have to download a program called sirfdemo.exe. It allows you to alter the configuration of the BU-303.

Comment

Whats the advantage over NMEA?

Comment

Aparently NMEA has issues with destinator (read on a couple of sites), things such as dropouts, low signal strength, lagging etc.
            The bu-303 does use an sirf chipset and I was able to put it in sirf mode using sirfdemo but destinator couldn't interface with it properly, it detected that the gps existed but it couldn't locate any satellites at all.
            As far as advantages of SIRF goes, I'm not too sure as I haven't been able to get it working but to start with the baud rate the sirfdemo app was using was 34800 as appose to NMEA which uses 4800.

Has anyone successfully used SIRF? or can anyone confirm if NinjaMonkeys version of destinator 3 supports it (its in the drop down list).

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by grahamrb
              Aparently NMEA has issues with destinator (read on a couple of sites), things such as dropouts, low signal strength, lagging etc.
              The bu-303 does use an sirf chipset and I was able to put it in sirf mode using sirfdemo but destinator couldn't interface with it properly, it detected that the gps existed but it couldn't locate any satellites at all.
              As far as advantages of SIRF goes, I'm not too sure as I haven't been able to get it working but to start with the baud rate the sirfdemo app was using was 34800 as appose to NMEA which uses 4800.

Has anyone successfully used SIRF? or can anyone confirm if NinjaMonkeys version of destinator 3 supports it (its in the drop down list).

Thanks
              I've already told you! Destinator supports it, that's why it's in the list!! NM's front end runs on top of Destinator and has extra features that will only work with NMEA.
              Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

i gave it a go and got a lock with nj's frontend

it worked with 34800 as the baud rate, and refused to work with 4800

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
                  Whats the advantage over NMEA?
                  You really have to try sirfdemo. It allows to adjust a number of settings on the gps mouse.

D3 is usable to me only with sirf. in nmea, i just could't keep a stable lock long enought to be of any use.
                  Ikea Case. Epia M10000.M1-ATX. 512 Mb. 2,5" 80 GB HDD. 7" Lilliput. BU-303 GPS. Sony Joystick.
                  Status -->
                  Lilliput Installed (not indash yet..)
                  BraveCar 2.5

Comment

does anyone know if the earthmate[yellow] supports this?
                    [M10K][TinyXP][Roadrunner Frontend][OEM Enclosure]
                    [iGmon]
                    Download MP3 MixTapes

Comment

I have never experienced SIRF as my garmin only support NMEAs. It always make me wonder why SIRF is better than the NMEA. Why would the GPS work more inferior when running on NMEA? its the same GPS, same chipset just different type of communications

Wont it had to do with the s/w not handling the NMEA properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
                        I have never experienced SIRF as my garmin only support NMEAs. It always make me wonder why SIRF is better than the NMEA. Why would the GPS work more inferior when running on NMEA? its the same GPS, same chipset just different type of communications

Wont it had to do with the s/w not handling the NMEA properly?
                        I think the main benefit of SiRF are the quicker updates. I believe it runs at 1Hz, so you get information from the sats around once per second - where as NMEA is around once every two seconds.

It just means your position shown on the map will be more accurate, especially when you're travelling at high speed.
                        Destinator 3 For PC! - http://www.map-monkey.co.uk/

Comment

Hold on... so I can run my earthmate in SiRF mode for faster updates? Sweet
                          PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                          GammaControl v2.4
                          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Working...
                          X