Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem installing in win me

I can install d3 on my win xp pc and it looks fantastic

But when I try to install on my windows millenium carpc it has errors with all 5 regsvr32 commands saying bad command or filename

I read in another thread nm said it should work with win me, please dont say I have to buy another copy of XP!

Honestly, I don't know if anything works correctly in WinME.
    I would rather run Win98.

Comment

Originally posted by Wax Man
      windows millenium

Comment

Originally posted by heypachuco
        Honestly, I don't know if anything works correctly in WinME.
        I would rather run Win98.
        Really? I just thought it would have more "media" stuff in it.

Ok do you know if d3 works in win 98 then? I dont have the SE version though.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey

mmm....... I'd use linux but I use frodo, quickbooks software and all the great stuff on this site!

Comment

Windows ME is basically Win98se but more unstable and slower and harder to use! Another great M$ product! As for running D3 on it i cant help you cos i have yet to buy a GPS mouse nevermind my nav software yet. Maybe see if you can find a new 2K disc somewhere - ebay, friends etc.

Oh, i hae jsut replaced Win98 with Win98se for someone and i did notice quite a difference. I still run 98se on an old P2 laptop and it runs great and never crashes despite being my test bed for new programs but some of the car frontends have had issues with it.

Comment

Really? I just thought it would have more "media" stuff in it.

Ok do you know if d3 works in win 98 then? I dont have the SE version though.
              I think you would want 98SE. WinME is garbage. Nothing more, nothing less.

My friend bought a new Dell when ME came out. Upon initial boot we got a BSOD. He was always having touble with the computer, I gave him my 98SE and he never had another problem.

Get a friend to lend you their 98 CD.

Comment

D3 work vhit XP or (perhaps) Win 2000.

Mauri

Comment

ok thanks guys.
                  Now I am starting to remember why that win me cd was in the bottom of a box of junk

I think I will for a way to install an XP upgrade without a bootable cd drive on my old laptop, maybe cloning an existing xp install on another pc or something.
                  I know with 98x you copy the win9x directory to your hard drive then install from there. I bet you can't do that with xp though.

Otherwise its ebay for windows 2000.

Cheers.
                  Wax Man

Comment

buy another copy of XP!
                    No comment

and before anyone comments all my copies of XP are legal with original CDs (love that icon)

Comment

I know with 98x you copy the win9x directory to your hard drive then install from there. I bet you can't do that with xp though.
                      Oh its /i386 I can only use one pc at once right!

Comment

ok thanks guys.
                        Now I am starting to remember why that win me cd was in the bottom of a box of junk

I think I will for a way to install an XP upgrade without a bootable cd drive on my old laptop, maybe cloning an existing xp install on another pc or something.

Otherwise its ebay for windows 2000.

Cheers.
                        Wax Man
                        Do some searching, but AFAIK you canot upgrade ME. You need to do a fresh install of Win2K. (you wouldn't want any traces of ME in the mix anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by heypachuco
                          Do some searching, but AFAIK you canot upgrade ME. You need to do a fresh install of Win2K. (you wouldn't want any traces of ME in the mix anyway)
                          ME came out after 2000, so you are correct in saying win me --> win 2k is not a valid upgrade path.

You are also correct about wanting any traces of ME in the mix. Hello (silent 'o') I would destroy the harddisk and throw it away once it's had ME on it.

Comment

I've never installed ME - its the worst O/S MS has ever done!!!!

I'm a big fan of Win98 SE and dare I say it ...Windows XP .... I would never installed ME on a machine, I'd rather go back to Windows 3.11!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X