Live Traffic reporting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Traffic reporting?

Lo folks, I wonder is there any company in the UK which would provide some kind of live traffic reporting on major roads, which can be put into existing GPS nav software like Destinator and Map Monkey?

Traffic master say they dont do anything like that, and that i would have to buy a complete navigation hardware and software kit from them!! no thx! not if i'm gonna make my own carputer etc!

cheers
    Katz

I tried traffic master as well. even suggested what kind of market there would be for an add on device like a GPS mouse, but no go.

do a search, I think there is a plugin written that connects to some sites on the web.

Comment

what about TMC using a TMC RDS reciever.

Comment

There is a program called TrafficTV that Orange UK have made available as a 1month free trial, about 4/month after that. It works on my SE K700i as a Java app.

The program seems to use the traffic master network for its data, and can also allow you to view through the many CCTV cameras where available. Whether or not this is something that can be used I don't know. When I get home I'll have a look through the file manager on my phone and see if there is a URL I can steel.

See http://ww2.traffictv.co.uk/ for more...
        My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
        NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

Originally posted by KatzEye
          Lo folks, I wonder is there any company in the UK which would provide some kind of live traffic reporting on major roads, which can be put into existing GPS nav software like Destinator and Map Monkey?

Traffic master say they dont do anything like that, and that i would have to buy a complete navigation hardware and software kit from them!! no thx! not if i'm gonna make my own carputer etc!

cheers
          Katz

There is TONS of stuff for the UK. I have data sources on the web for the BBC, main TMC providers, government providers all of which can show the big picture when used together.

At some point I will get off my arse and make it work for D3 via GPRS properly just depends on the interest.

Example of working engine... http://skyline.aston.ac.uk/data/xml_input.php
          Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
          Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

OH by the way the new version of 'MobileWeb' interfaces with Map Monkey so you can show live aerial photos and live traffic websites centred on where you are I haven't got round to releasing it yet but it's ready if anyone wants it.

Comment

Come on StevieG, don't be holding back on us now

Release Release...

Im interested in getting as many kick *** features into my car as possible. Whats the point in having people create skins with Traffic and weather buttons if we can't use them.

I have had the trafficmap.co.uk site working through GPRS but it would be even nicer showing the delays in D3 rather than on a webpage in another window...

I think it would also be pretty smart to be able to press a button in D3 and if a web connection is there it will download and display an arial photo of your current area and display it until the screen is pressed again.

Hmmm, where will this end? Have you seen the Newest Monkey Mod thread ?!?!
              My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
              NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

Originally posted by Tuned Vitesse
                Come on StevieG, don't be holding back on us now

Release Release...

Im interested in getting as many kick *** features into my car as possible. Whats the point in having people create skins with Traffic and weather buttons if we can't use them.

I have had the trafficmap.co.uk site working through GPRS but it would be even nicer showing the delays in D3 rather than on a webpage in another window...

I think it would also be pretty smart to be able to press a button in D3 and if a web connection is there it will download and display an arial photo of your current area and display it until the screen is pressed again.

Hmmm, where will this end? Have you seen the Newest Monkey Mod thread ?!?!

Oh yes I have seen the baggers stuff for sure...

The trafficmap stuff CAN auto centre on where you are in D3 simialr to aerial photos.

I need to have a good look in the D3 SDK and MonkeyTalk to see if AVOID ROADS can be automated.

Comment

Mmmm http://www.trafficmap.co.uk/ - Slightly diffrent to the map system from HWA I have been using.... Mmmm

Terran
                  My Project Site

Comment

Working...
                  X