What happens after Auguest`

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens after Auguest`

Okay, bought the SDK, maps and got the Dest_08_05.zip from support.
    Map monkey is working

However, after talking with support today, the Dest_08_05.zip (DestDLL.dll) file will expire in Auguest. What happens then?

I work as a software engineer for a property appraisal company and so I talked with support saying I wanted to use the SDK to develop a tool for my clients, they have no idea what I'm to do next if I did develop an application with the SDK. They have no course of action to actually license this stuff for endusers using something developed with their SDK! I was VERY disappointed with them and let them know it. I asked what I was to do, they said that they call back when I've got something written to find out a cost! Are they *****ing stupid? I'm not going to write an application without out knowing what my deployment costs are. Idiots! [/rant off]

Hmmm, Is that what they said? I guess we'll find out in August as they don't know their arse from their elbow!
    Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Damn.....when they sold that sdk it never said anything about timebombs.......IF that's the case I am going to make them refund it.

Comment

Hope that isn't the case ... if so I'll be paying PowerLoc a visit!

Comment

Hello Jeremy,
          I have attached the file for you. It will allow you to use full sized maps during your development however will expire in August. This will give you the flexibility to test your application in your local area.
          Thanks
          Rafiq
          <<DestDLL 08-05.zip>>
          Yes, I demanded they give me pricing per client and options or a refund.

Comment

Originally posted by fromplanetbob
            Okay, bought the SDK, maps and got the Dest_08_05.zip from support.
            Map monkey is working

However, after talking with support today, the Dest_08_05.zip (DestDLL.dll) file will expire in Auguest. What happens then?

I work as a software engineer for a property appraisal company and so I talked with support saying I wanted to use the SDK to develop a tool for my clients, they have no idea what I'm to do next if I did develop an application with the SDK. They have no course of action to actually license this stuff for endusers using something developed with their SDK! I was VERY disappointed with them and let them know it. I asked what I was to do, they said that they call back when I've got something written to find out a cost! Are they *****ing stupid? I'm not going to write an application without out knowing what my deployment costs are. Idiots! [/rant off]

They didn't tell me this. Was this Rafiq Kassam, or someone different. I'll be asking for a refund also, and making my way over to canada to kick some ***.
            Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
            Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Odd, I just changed my computer's clock to 2006 and map monkey launched normally. I'm not sure what they mean by expire then...

I'm still pretty ****ed they couldn't give me pricing. A client of mine wants a routing software package and I was seeing about using Dest for that...

Comment

Originally posted by fromplanetbob
                Odd, I just changed my computer's clock to 2006 and map monkey launched normally. I'm not sure what they mean by expire then...

I'm still pretty ****ed they couldn't give me pricing. A client of mine wants a routing software package and I was seeing about using Dest for that...
                Well, I'm in the middle of writing a software package based on D3, so it'll be a PITA for me too, as I've got a busy few months ahead.

In my opinion, PowerLOC/HSTC are a short sighted company, who don't care about their customers or developers; they don't respond in a timely fashion to queries, and they don't give straight, honest answers.

I waited 3 months for a licence agreement from them for the DestDLL. I was told one would be available in a day or two each time, then eventually told that it would be done on a case-by-case basis.

I'll tell you one thing for sure, I (and the guy I'm working with) have been thinking we should get some investment to get Navteq maps and write our own from the ground up.

Comment

Thats not a bad idea StevieG, but how much is that gonna cost?
                  "A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."

Comment

Its 60K for NavTeq data I think - ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by UK_MP3Car
                      Its 60K for NavTeq data I think - ouch!
                      Er more than that

Comment

ah ok .... that was a guess from a site I read on AGES ago.

Comment

Originally posted by UK_MP3Car
                          ah ok .... that was a guess from a site I read on AGES ago.
                          You can buy a 5 user licence (if you're developing a fleet application for a single company) for 26K (Full UK data)

Comment

Ouch! Thats a lot of dough.
                            "A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."

Comment

I'll buy a paper map me thinks!

Comment

Working...
                              X