Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGPS integration ?

Hi coyote
    I can see that routing is in the todo list. How about running agps for routing?
    http://www.techgt.com/agps/
    Since it is fully developed, it should be quite easy to use the features from it in a different frontend. I see the obvious problem with the skinning capabilities, but it might save you a lot of time and work if agps was used as base for your routing program. Agps have been around for quite some time now, and are more or less bugfree now.
    The registration fee for the program are only 10$.
    I dont know if there are better options for routing 3'rd party, but agps are quite good.

regards cvi

BTW:Here are the features of the latest version:

Additional features in the Version 2.2.x for MapPoint 2002

Auto re-calculate route when you off-track
    Speed sensitive (ETA or distance based) Driving Assistant
    Visual and audio warning with Text-To-Speech enabled driving direction speak out.
    The Driving Assistant now works for multiple waypoints with Guidance Manager, completely get around a bug in MapPoint2002 that causes error driving directions when a route contains multiple waypoints..
    Accurate Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) to the destination with given current GPS time and location
    Zoom-in and zoom-out shortcut keys. (Z/X)
    Magnetic heading (compass heading) display (very accurate till 2005AC, somewhat accurate after 2005AC, or wait for a new version after 2005AC)
    Automatic tracking current position on the map instead of by refresh/redraw rate.
    Zodiac GPS chipset v 2.x support (Zodiac with NMEA extension)
    Variable GPS refresh rate. Either time interval driven or GPS data driven (PII-233Mhz and up for GPS driven)
    "Route from current GPS position"
    Capture NMEA183 data from GPS to a file and playback/pause NMEA183 data as it's from a GPS
    Display Average Ground Speed, Elevation, Location in the selectable unit
    Display speed in Mph, Kmh or Knots, elevation in meter or feet. Can switch the display unit on the fly.
    Heading Information: a compass, current location with heading
    GPS Time (Atomic clock) with one-click to sync the system time with GPS time
    GPS State and Satellite View displays the satellite positions in the sky and the detailed reception information.
    Plot Trail to plot a trace on the map with advanced pushpin notes. (enhanced feature in version 2.x)
    "Push a pin" in the compass menu for people just want to lay a push pin on the current location.
    Raw CSV trace note output format option (see FAQ for how to export to the database)
    Intuitive design with shift-less, Alt-less shortcut keys and tool tips hint
    Automatic Start AGPS when MapPoint starts if you left AGPS opened while you shutdown MapPoint last time.

I need to make exactly the same work in mediacar that what AGPS do but the problem is that AGPS is not free and I think that there is no chance that I can obtain the source code to implement it into Mediacar.
    I would remake all myself.
    www.media-car.fr.st
    The first Belgian PC fully integrated in a car :)

Comment

I meant to make the task easier for you. I see your point, but the request thread are getting larger (up to the point where you stopped requests) and the more features people request, the more work, time and possibly bugs come in. AGPS are free, its the life-time upgrades and the full features of Driving Assistant that cost the 10$.
      I suggested this out of concern about you, your time and family. Many people would hate it if you drowned in all this.

Comment

I just wrote a mail to the developpers of AGPS to ask he if he can help me by giving me some source codes to save me a lot of time.

Waiting a response...
        www.media-car.fr.st

Comment

Great. I wrote him too, just asking for a more touchscreen friendly layout. Hope you can work with him to the benefit of all of us :-)

Comment

Sounds good for those who use MapPoint

Garry
            Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
            www.aimee.cc

Comment

I'm a registered user of AGPS too. What's reasonable to ask for from the AGPS author?

Comment

Originally posted by coyote
                I just wrote a mail to the developpers of AGPS to ask he if he can help me by giving me some source codes to save me a lot of time.

Waiting a response...
                Do you think they would sell you the source code. We could have a group whip round and come up with the cash. I'm up for it and I'm sure a few others would be.

Comment

Some body else on here said they had the source code for routing and re-routing. They were using it for ME.

Comment

Originally posted by bertybassett
                    Some body else on here said they had the source code for routing and re-routing. They were using it for ME.

That would be me
                    '98 Explorer Sport
                    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
                    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
                    80% done

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
                      That would be me
                      Could you give me more informations
                      www.media-car.fr.st

Comment

the best way is to talk to me either over AOL or IRC. Ahh its a lot of work with reverse geocoding and such.

The problem with mappoint and turn by turn directions is that mappoint considers the intersection point at the middle of the segment of road. So if you are to turn it thinks the distance to make the turn is actually in the middle of that road your supposed to turn on and not the intersection. So its a lot of tricking mappoint. I had a lot of arguements with people on the mappoint forums about this and they still don't believe i got it working.. oh well.. i know it worked just fine on my 8 hour trip over the summer. Like I said get in touch with me. I'd like to see this into ME first though, but i'll help anyway. I did the code for ME originally and I'm a programmer just not a VB programmer so the code is a bit messy since i hate VB and all it stands for
                        '98 Explorer Sport
                        http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
                        AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
                        80% done

Comment

Chun-Li Pu (that makes agps) sent this for coyote and for me.
                          If you already have some form of programming interface defined, I can release a version that is able to bind to your button events since AGPS can be totally back-end based. Or, just write a independent AGPS (not a plug-in) with a skin that is compatible with MediaCar.

I dont know what others think, but it seems like a good offer to me. I dont know if coyote agrees? I wouldn't mind paying 10$ for routing. Of course people could still go with the external gps program, or wait for the mediacar routing.

Comment

Originally posted by cvi
                            If you already have some form of programming interface defined, I can release a version that is able to bind to your button events since AGPS can be totally back-end based. Or, just write a independent AGPS (not a plug-in) with a skin that is compatible with MediaCar.

I dont know what others think, but it seems like a good offer to me. I dont know if coyote agrees? I wouldn't mind paying 10$ for routing. Of course people could still go with the external gps program, or wait for the mediacar routing.

sounds like a good idea to me

Comment

Originally posted by cvi

I'd be intrested.... may be he could release a common module for other Interface makers ie an SDK ? Could that be suggested to him as well.. could open a few sales up for him.

Terran
                              My Project Site

Comment

Working...
                              X