MediaCar and Hardware???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MediaCar and Hardware???

I am going to build an all new system for my car. I have so far gotten an backup battery, Polyester, hardener?!?, Bodyfiller, Spraypaint and Lots of energy to put in to this project.......

I have read 15-20 hours in this forum now...... And i would like som input from all of u guys!!!!!!!!

Of course it is all a question about money but.....The answers i look for must be in an resonable range.... =)

Hardware!!! What shuld i get?? And where??

So starting ground up.....

Power???
    CarTFT has an unit called pw80 is this all i need to power up?

ITPS???
    Seems smart but i read some german forum.... only operates @13.2 - 14,8Volt??? Is this True?

Ignition ignore???
    Does it work to put an +12V Feed (from diode protected backupbattery)controlled by a switch parallell to the feed from ignition wireing? (I want to be able to run CarPC on backup battery)

MoBo???
    It Would be fun with nanoEPIA board but 5-600Mhz is a bit to slow =)
    Is Via Epia MII12000 the Fastest board??? Performance stabillity etc?
    Other Rekomendation?

Harddrive???
    Han anyone had trouble running 2.5Inch drives??? Ok Ok ...there are moving parts and its a "Dash-Heater" but with lots of bubblewrap and foam it should never break cause of road-bumps.... Experiences???
    EDIT: I know it could overheat but that i can solve

Memmory???
    Is there anything Im forgetting?!? =)

Screen???
    Is there a differense between CarTFT.com 7" Touch and Lilliput 7" Touch other than Resolution (CarTFT really looks like an painted Lilliput...)
    Terran Brown (Vauxhall Project) Gave us an fine offer THNX!!
    Witch one is the best? I want WideScreen....Are There alternatives???

GPS + Software???
    HELP!!!

Radio???
    I will be using MediaCar So i belive IŽll have to go for Dlink?!? Where can i buy it??? Is it possible to integrate Hauppage WinTV / FM??? into MediaCar???

I will be placing my order in the middle of next week (I hope) so every piece of help is appriciated!!!

@Coyote...... If u read this.... Im curious.... What hardware is the designer him self using???

THNX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Installed: 0% ;(
    Lots to go and many hours of fun!!! (and spitting of ugly words =) )

.. all your questions have been answered elsewhere
    I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

www.neoterikos.com

Comment

Originally posted by pimpJ
      .. all your questions have been answered elsewhere
      I know but all products in separate...... My real question is: How to configur the whole system.... And the power issiue..... I have not found an real good answer but sinse there are very many existing systems this must have been solved!?!
      For referense this would be a good place to collect some info for newbies like my self................

Comment

I seriously recommend that you get yourself a power supply like the Opus. It does everything the PW range + ITPS does...and more...and better.

Since I've got my Opus, I have had no problems power wise.

For everything else, there are many options. Something like the Epia MII-12000, 256/512mb memory, a USB GPS receiver, Seagate Barracuda 3.5" hard drive (i've had bad experiences with fluid bearing drives (like the new Maxtor ones) in car environments, however the 2 Barracuda's I know are in cars (mine and my bosses) work fine).

As for screen, the CarTFT 7" display is a Lilliput. Or there is the new Xenarc 700TS/TSV displays, however they are more expensive.

As for Radio, MediaCar as it is know only supports the D-Link, but to be honest, they are rubbish. I have heard good reviews of the Radio Xtreme USB radio, I think FrodoBaggins has one, and it is supported by Radiator.

Garry
        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

wohoo.. maybe i'll try to answer this one...

Originally posted by RYAD
          I am going to build an all new system for my car. I have so far gotten an backup battery, Polyester, hardener?!?, Bodyfiller, Spraypaint and Lots of energy to put in to this project.......
          backup batt. good thinking, get rid of "surviving the crank" and flat main batt. problem. mine have a deep cycle 40ah which last for 5 hrs. with engine off.
          I have read 15-20 hours in this forum now...... And i would like som input from all of u guys!!!!!!!!

Of course it is all a question about money but.....The answers i look for must be in an resonable range.... =)

Hardware!!! What shuld i get?? And where??
          mine is barebone, 60% of hardware taken from scrap, donated by someone i know who knows somebody, or free samples, software, freewares! if i couldn't get it, i'll code it myself.
          So starting ground up.....

Power???
          CarTFT has an unit called pw80 is this all i need to power up?

ITPS???
          Seems smart but i read some german forum.... only operates @13.2 - 14,8Volt??? Is this True?
          i built a sproggy based on mastero mk3.5, pure clean power on the 12v and survives a crank(when the time that i don't have a 2nd batt. yet) half of the components i got as free samples on the net.
          Ignition ignore???
          Does it work to put an +12V Feed (from diode protected backupbattery)controlled by a switch parallell to the feed from ignition wireing? (I want to be able to run CarPC on backup battery)
          this is jargon, all i did is wired the two batt. with an 8 gauge wire, and a relay in the middle. when car key turned to acc., like when driving, the 2nd batt. get charged.
          MoBo???
          It Would be fun with nanoEPIA board but 5-600Mhz is a bit to slow =)
          Is Via Epia MII12000 the Fastest board??? Performance stabillity etc?
          Other Rekomendation?
          get a micro atx, less heat. less power than a standard atx, with no epia related problems.
          Harddrive???
          Han anyone had trouble running 2.5Inch drives??? Ok Ok ...there are moving parts and its a "Dash-Heater" but with lots of bubblewrap and foam it should never break cause of road-bumps.... Experiences???
          EDIT: I know it could overheat but that i can solve
          please do not wrap your hd like a mummy, you'll do things worst. basically the spindle is facing down, so the best way not to crack the hd disk is to mount the hd to it's side so the top and bottom is parallel to the left and right side of your car, this way you'll get rid of the momentum generated by the car moving up or down on a bump, or front or back when stopping.
          Memmory???
          Is there anything Im forgetting?!? =)
          in an entertainment pc setup, you only open one or two apps at a time, so 128 is more than enough.
          Screen???
          Is there a differense between CarTFT.com 7" Touch and Lilliput 7" Touch other than Resolution (CarTFT really looks like an painted Lilliput...)
          Terran Brown (Vauxhall Project) Gave us an fine offer THNX!!
          Witch one is the best? I want WideScreen....Are There alternatives???
          regardless of the size, vga is the best.
          GPS + Software???
          HELP!!!
          software: destinator, bec. it can show the map in 3d, kind of like a birds eye view of the streets. for the hardware: any that can output "nmea" will do.
          Radio???
          I will be using MediaCar So i belive IŽll have to go for Dlink?!?
          not neccessary.
          Is it possible to integrate Hauppage WinTV / FM??? into MediaCar???
          any tv-fm card that "radiator" can play will do. check radiator's website and look for your tv card's plug-in for radiator.

i have raised this issue in mediacar's wishlist, radiator can play radio from tons of tv/radio cards, and if radiator is being used to play radio, then why not use radiator for the radio section of the mediacar? instead of going to apps and clicking radio using the brushmetal skin.
          I will be placing my order in the middle of next week (I hope) so every piece of help is appriciated!!!
          don't be in a hurry, or you'll be sorry. there's lots of hardware to choose from, search, search, and search.
          THNX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          Installed: 0% ;(
          Lots to go and many hours of fun!!! (and spitting of ugly words =) )

danon
          [....99.9%]
          [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
          [....99.8%]
          [SW] XP/MMC/FP:D3,FlyTV/AxifeFM,CarMM?
          [Working on] puttingBackEvrythg.

Comment

Working...
          X