Directory Originazation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directory Originazation

I'm new to mediacar (just discovered it a couple days ago) and I'm trying to set things up for easy browsing of my music collection.

Fortunatly, my music collection is still on CD so I won't have to do a whole lot of renaming and such to get things where they need to be. With that in mind, I need advice on how to rip my music...

I'm using Audiograbber 1.83 and lame as an encoder and I'm unsure as to how I should rip the songs. I want to have the songs organized like this: 1st step - Album name, 2nd step - songs on that album.

To give an example I just ripped Sublime - Greatest Hits, I have that in a folder called "Sublime - Greatest Hits," which contains all the songs ripped from that CD. Now that folder "Sublim..." is in a folder called "CDs" which I have pointed MediaCar to as the place where my music is. When I open MediaCar, there's nothing on the list until I click on "list" then it brings up the folder which I click on and then it works.

Is that how most of you have your directories set up? If not how do you?

If you set MC to default the music folder to say My Documents/My Music

then put your CD's folder in there, make sure you put a scan of (from the web - its easier - try amazon) the album cover called folder.jpg. Then when MC starts you will see your CD's folder, select it and you can scroll through your albums with the image of the album cover - which is easier to recognize while driving.

Works a charm.
    .//Daren
    (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
    MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

Comment

What about the naming the files? Should I name them like "01 - What I Got," in order to keep them in order? Or is there a better way? I ask becuase MediaCar uses ID3 tags for when you are listening to the songs, but not when browsing through the folders.

Comment

Good point, I also put in the tract number so it sorts properly.
        .//Daren
        (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
        MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

Comment

Personally I archive mine like this:

Drive/folder/artist/album/artist - album - trackno - trackname.mp3

Makes it easier to sort them all in their folders.

VW Mk2 Golf GTI 16V:
          Kenwood KDC-W6527 HU
          Silver Travla C134, Slot Loading DVD/CDRW,
          256MB, VIA Epia MII 12000, Carnetix 60W, Xenarc VGA/Composite TS and a GPS Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by chewiee
            Personally I archive mine like this:

Drive/folder/artist/album/artist - album - trackno - trackname.mp3

Makes it easier to sort them all in their folders.
            This is exactly how I name all my files. Then, if anything gets mixed up/moved around, I know exactly what artist/album it belongs to. It also means that if any ID3 tags get messed up, then I use Tag&Rename to just get the details from the filename

Oh, and as for ripping, the best combo by far is EAC and LAME for MP3, or I personally use Ogg Vorbis, as I find it gives better quality for the same bitrate

Garry
            Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
            www.aimee.cc

Comment

This is why we need Mediacar to be tag-based rather than filename based. Meaning we need a database. That way you can browse your music collection in any number of ways regardless of filenames or directory structure.

On the encoding, depending on how good your car audio is you should consider lossless compression, e.i., monkey's audio, FLAC or Apple lossless.

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
              X