Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creating phidget relay control app.

Hey there

i just got my phidget 4 port relay usb card, that i am gonna use to control just my electric windows for now. Now i wan't to integrate it into mediacar, i have a bit vb6 experience and i just would like some pointers as to how i should create the appl. Is there any guidelines for it working with mediacar ?

Any ideas on how to make it skinnable ? are there any general ways to do this ?

Jan
    Not doing carpc anymore

Originally posted by _dopehead_
    Hey there

i just got my phidget 4 port relay usb card, that i am gonna use to control just my electric windows for now. Now i wan't to integrate it into mediacar, i have a bit vb6 experience and i just would like some pointers as to how i should create the appl. Is there any guidelines for it working with mediacar ?

Any ideas on how to make it skinnable ? are there any general ways to do this ?

Jan
    Beautiful idea that to check street USB of the relays and to make an interface for Mediacar or other application.
    You make to know in the forum the developments.

hi
    Mauri

Comment

Where did you pick this up at?

Comment

http://www.usbstuff.com/phidget.html why the hell didn't anyone post this before instead of trying to build a serial version?
        Carputer: 2.8Ghz P4, 512 RAM, 120gb HDD, WIFI, TV tuner, CDRW/DVDROM, Slot load DVD in front.
        Screen: Lilliput 7" touchscreen (Custom made Carbon Fiber Screen Enclosure)
        S2000 Carputer

Comment

dopehead, which exact model did you buy, and how are you going to wire up the relays?
          Carputer: 2.8Ghz P4, 512 RAM, 120gb HDD, WIFI, TV tuner, CDRW/DVDROM, Slot load DVD in front.
          Screen: Lilliput 7" touchscreen (Custom made Carbon Fiber Screen Enclosure)
          S2000 Carputer

Comment

Well, i got the 4 port relay thingy. direct from www.phidgets.com (canada i think)

<http://www.phidgets.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&re q=viewarticle&artid=74&page=1>

I am just gonna hook up the pin of the relay that is disconnected as its default state and ground from each relay to its seperate function,

right window down
            right windows up
            left window down
            left window up

And then control it via my application, also doing an auto shut and auto open. Might connect it to another temp.sensor to do it automatically when the temperature is high or something.

I think this relay is the best soultion since yu can get as many as you like and just get an usb hub if you don't have enough available, personally my case has 2 usbs on the front and 2 on the mainboard so i have plenty of ports for now.
            Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

btw, check out their site, they make a lot of very neat controllers, including i/o coards for analog/digital inputs (could be useful in HVAC environments)
              Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

I just did a rough sketch of how i wan't it to look based on mauri's original picture. The software is actually almost done and working ok. Only a few bugs regarding releasing the interface once the appl. closes and such. General functionality is working.

Jan
                Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

It is a great idea and all.....BUT....I have TS in my car and find it harder to touch a button while driving, it is a lot easier to reach for the window buttons (4) on the driver door in my car to open/close any window without taking my eye off the road, same for the AC controls. Unless I am missing the point. Please don't get me wrong, I am control freak and technology junkie but the amount of effort required to wire all those buttons far out weigh the benefit, in other words, in this particular application, the return on investment is low.

Comment

Hmm that picture looks vaguely familar

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27806

The reasoning for me undertaking this project was not for "geek" factor, or convenience, but out of necessity for space. Had to make room for the LCD
                    2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Sedan (Sold)
                    2007 Scion tC
                    WhereIsMyGPS.net Online Tracker
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/leddy

Comment

kingtut: i know what you are getting at, but my general reasoning when undertaking this kinda project is : "If you can do it, then do it" and thats it. Also i am thinking of making it into an RFID controlled thing instead at some point, so i can my settings setup as soon as i approach the car and unlock it. Like Leddy i have no room for the window controls since my 8 inch is taking up quite alot of space in the dash.

Jan
                      Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

OK then, I see the possibilities, sorry for lack of imagination this after noon - I like this part about custom setting for windows when you approach the car.
                        How about adding 2 more functions, open-all/close all and while you are at it, program the AC temp and with one touch, close the windows, turn on the AC and set the temp. (it is a good idea for me not to post immediately after lunch, it drains the blood away from my brains!).

Comment

I Love this idea... I would use it all the time, but might need some assistance on how to wire everything and materials needed, and i would love it if someone would make a standalone app for those of us who dont use mediacar or anything of the sort
                          Debating on installing a carpc in my Jeep.....

Comment

djxternal, the app i am using would be easily usable as standalone. As i understand it right now there is no real way to integrate into mediacar, only to make it look like the rest of mediacar, so it will actually be an app that can be run just like any other app.

Jan
                            Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

Oh well thats great then!
                              Debating on installing a carpc in my Jeep.....

Comment

Working...
                              X